🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiPanda201

Patron Saint of HDTGM?

First post! (I know, what a brag.)

In honor of JumpTheShark (RIP), and its patron saint, Ted McGinley, I got to wondering who might best be the avatar of the HDTGM anthology of movies.

Initially of course, you have the usual suspects: Stallone, Cage, JLo, Pacino, Travolta, Schwarzenegger... Names synonymous with bad movies and the podcast in particular. Going this route, I'd have to go with either Stallone or Cage, not only because of their quantity of work, but also their quality of it. Stallone is unbelievably bad in unbelievably bad movies. Cage at least is spirited in a not quite so disastrous way while appearing in unbelievably bad movies.

But I was also thinking of going another possible route for it; what if the Patron Saint we all eventually chose was someone who was amazingly good in a terrible movie? Essentially three episodes in a row as of late have featured the panel praising the transcendent performance of a star in a terrible film: the great Gene Kelly in Xanadu, the fantastic Dolly Parton in Rhinestone, and the wonderful Emma Thompson in Junior.

But who deserves top spot? I guess that depends on whether you think Kelly agelessly gracing through an aimless Xanadu, Dolly carrying an overwrought Stallone vehicle on her back, or Thompson carrying the comedic weight of an uneven film where she shouldn't be responsible for that at all is the hardest task.

Or do you guys think there is a worthier Saint deserving of canonization?

I'm excited for the debate.

Jim Varney all the way.

No, I'm just kidding. My vote is for Dolly.

Patron saint of the podcast has to be Squarespace. It is the first thing that you hear about on most of the back catalog episodes.

I think Statham is highly underrated for his fine performances in terrible films, basically the same performance he does in EVERY film, which I hope will be discussed when HDTGM gets "Furious".

Sign in to follow this