🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 5 - A BETTER VIEW

Horatio and Chad take the show on the road to the world premier of A Better You at the Santa Barbara Film Festival. At a house in Montecito that director Matt Walsh provided for the cast and crew, we set up shop and interview whoever is awake enough at 7am to be on a podcast. Morgan Walsh tells us how she and Matt met, Horatio tells the story about why he is called "Rog" and Erinn Hayes brings us the most insane smoothies ever created. Blenders are discussed. Things get weird at the after-party when inevitably Samm Levine and Kevin Dorff show up. We think Joe Show was there as well, but we're not sure. Co-writer and star Brian Huskey joins us back in bro-bro studios to recap.

Wow, this show has reached a new low. Are car accidents funny to you, so funny that you mock them by making it seem like you were in a horrible crash? My aunt was thrown through her windshield and pinned under a truck, and her eventual cause of death was the burns to her entire body. I can't believe any comedy program would be so insensitive and have such a disrespectful spoof of a serious and sad issue, shame on all of you.

I AIN'T!!!! :lol:

Alright, now I'm going to listen to the rest of the episode! Off to a great start, I think it's cool they actually recorded on the road (and they managed to have better audio than some podcasts that are done in a home studio...)

• Like 6

I didn't want this episode to ever end. It was like getting to secretly hang out with super cool people on their fun weekend.

I love this show oh so much

tumblr_ndvruzPz4E1qzx1gjo3_250.gif

• Like 8

I'm loving the Hooray Show!!! Horatio is awesome! And the guests have been solid. The format is pretty sweet/unique too!

That episode made me a little sad that I don't live in Santa Barbara anymore though...I could've joined up in that alley!!!!!

• Like 4

Good morning everyone! Welcome to this edition of the Hooray Show recap show where producer, me, talks about the making of the episode and takes questions.... ok... I'm just trying this out... don't know if it's gonna be a thing... I'm just exhausted from editing this episode and not quite ready to move on to the next one yet so I'm just typing words....

If you haven't listened to the episode yet, you may want to do that first. I'm not sure there are going to be any "spoilers" per se, but who knows?

Before I get to that, two forum things. First Shannon, I absolutely love that two of the biggest fans of our show are you and Adam CEO Sachs. We feel the love over here for sure! See you at SXSW?

Second, OddBall..... this is the second time you've pranksta'd me and I hate you for it. When the first comment I read was "this has reached a new low" my heart fucking dropped through the basement floor into hell. So fuck you and fuck your comments! #iAint

So here is the inside baseball recap. First of all, it seems like the baseball allegory is sticking with the show. Which I kind of dig. Or maybe it's just a Kevin Dorff thing. We'll see. But enough about baseball.

We recorded the Brian Huskey interview last night and I delivered the final edit of the episode to Earwolf at about 7:30 PST. This is the first episode we have done that was put together from start to finish in the course of only two weeks. As I was listening to my first cut of the show yesterday morning, it just felt wrong. I have hours and hours of footage from the bar and then the after-after party at the Montecito house but it was all really unusable. The content was there, but the background noise is only tolerable to your ear for so long.

Brian was kind enough to take an hour or two (and I have plenty of content from that as well that didn't make the show) to stop by and complete the episode. That's the thing about this show, and their movie, we work and play with REALLY COOL PEOPLE! Shannon, you had said that you felt like you were hanging out with the coolest people... that is EXACTLY what we want this show to be. Come hang out with us.... we're having fun and you're welcome to join.

As the dude that has complete control over the timing and pace of the show, and deciding what music goes where and when, I have to tell you that my favorite part of this show is when "Pour Some Sugar On Me" kicks in on the jukebox at Dargons right when Horatio asks about Jon Benet fest. That is not edited in anyway I swear. I really wish you could have seen the smile on my face when that little comedic moment happened on accident. You might be even able to hear me jumping up and down in joy while holding the microphone.

The remote audio was recorded on a Zoom HN4. That thing is pretty badass. I learned a lot about it in the process and it will definitely be feature more in upcoming episodes. Did I mention we're going to SXSW?

That's all I got for now... I will now open the forum up to questions if you have any. I'm going to sit here until about noon before I start working on the next episode... which I'm not quite sure what it's going to be. I have a few choices.... hmmm...

• Like 12

"Did I mention we're going to SXSW?"

Does that mean there's going to be a live show? Also, can we expect something more than 'what we normally do in the studio but in front of a live audience?'

Because I'd be interested to see how you play with that format (if you go that direction).

• Like 1

As the dude that has complete control over the timing and pace of the show, and deciding what music goes where and when, I have to tell you that my favorite part of this show is when "Pour Some Sugar On Me" kicks in on the jukebox at Dargons right when Horatio asks about Jon Benet fest. That is not edited in anyway I swear. I really wish you could have seen the smile on my face when that little comedic moment happened on accident. You might be even able to hear me jumping up and down in joy while holding the microphone.

YES.

• Like 2

Brian Huskey with hair is really taking me out of the movie hahah. Otherwise looks interesting, great cast! :)

I was really impressed with Horatio's ability to drive so poorly it took down a plane. :D

Enjoyed the interview stuff at the house, it is nice to hear personal stories like that that offer a little insight into these people and their relationships. Its a shame we can't get more of the after-party, hanging out / letting loose vibe, but I totally understand the concerns about listen-ability (see: Analyze Phish when they go to the concert. You get a glimpse of a fun group of people hanging out, but you also get a lot of background noise and people having to shout to be heard on the recording because of all the other stuff going on... ultimately it was still worth listening to, but you do have to tolerate the quality issues.) But the sound quality was great for the other segments, so you guys should be pretty confident about doing more material on the road going forward. Bummed that you guys couldn't find any takers in the alley hahah. I probably would've done a double take and been a nervous wreck, but how can you say no??

Also OddBombs mom did really die that way, he just has a good sense of humor about it.

• Like 1

"Did I mention we're going to SXSW?"

Does that mean there's going to be a live show? Also, can we expect something more than 'what we normally do in the studio but in front of a live audience?'

Because I'd be interested to see how you play with that format (if you go that direction).

We took a swing at a live recording when we did the show at UCB Sunset. I have the footage and we learned a lot from it. One thing I learned is that comedy in front of an audience doesn't necessarily translate to a good audio show. We are going to go into the SXSW show much more prepared.

We tried to do more in front of the live audience at UCB including opening with a song and doing a visual bit satirizing ISIL beheading videos and when you listen back to the audio, if you remove yourself from it, you are like "what the fuck is going on?!"

So it's going to be a fine line with what we can and cannot do at SXSW. That being said, we are swinging big for our guests, so stay tuned.

We took a swing at a live recording when we did the show at UCB Sunset. I have the footage and we learned a lot from it. One thing I learned is that comedy in front of an audience doesn't necessarily translate to a good audio show. We are going to go into the SXSW show much more prepared.

We tried to do more in front of the live audience at UCB including opening with a song and doing a visual bit satirizing ISIL beheading videos and when you listen back to the audio, if you remove yourself from it, you are like "what the fuck is going on?!"

So it's going to be a fine line with what we can and cannot do at SXSW. That being said, we are swinging big for our guests, so stay tuned.

That is exciting. I said in my review last week - I so appreciate that you guys try new stuff and then learn from it. That's awesome. Not enough podcasts are willing to go through that process. Glad to see that's going to continue!

• Like 2

Brian Huskey with hair is really taking me out of the movie hahah. Otherwise looks interesting, great cast! :)

After the premier, NO ONE recognized the star of the movie walking amongst them...

I was really impressed with Horatio's ability to drive so poorly it took down a plane. :D

That is my subtle dig at Rog. He is not a good driver. We actually fought about it in the car. He laughed his ass off when I played it for him.

Its a shame we can't get more of the after-party, hanging out / letting loose vibe, but I totally understand the concerns about listen-ability (see: Analyze Phish when they go to the concert. You get a glimpse of a fun group of people hanging out, but you also get a lot of background noise and people having to shout to be heard on the recording because of all the other stuff going on... ultimately it was still worth listening to, but you do have to tolerate the quality issues.)

I haven't honestly listend to analyze Phish yet, which is stupid because I am a huge Phish fan (50+ shows) and it's Earwolf family. I know what I'm listening to this afternoon, and if you guys are reading this and want to have me on the show.... let's do this.

But the sound quality was great for the other segments, so you guys should be pretty confident about doing more material on the road going forward. Bummed that you guys couldn't find any takers in the alley hahah. I probably would've done a double take and been a nervous wreck, but how can you say no??

If you listen closely, there is a guy saying "Say what????" - he recognized Horatio and got freaked out....

Also OddBombs mom did really die that way, he just has a good sense of humor about it.

His mom has a good sense of humor about it....

• Like 2

I haven't honestly listened to analyze Phish yet, which is stupid because I am a huge Phish fan (50+ shows) and it's Earwolf family. I know what I'm listening to this afternoon, and if you guys are reading this and want to have me on the show.... let's do this.

Episode #4 and #9 have material from where they went to shows and did some live recordings hanging out before the show, on the ride to the show, and at the show itself. Its a really fun show overall, Harris manages to catch the most flak (from Phish fans) and he's the one promoting Phish, whereas Scott is the one bashing them for the most part haha. I'm pretty casual Phish fan, only been to two or three live shows, but some of my friends are pretty diehard. Feel free to skip the two "Analyze Fish" episodes, where different hosts talk about Jaws movies (sort of a spinoff / filler episodes).

Really cool that you're being active on the forum, appreciate hearing back from you and giving us the chance to interact. :) You should get Horatio on here too, but under a troll account. ;)

• Like 1

Episode #4 and #9 have material from where they went to shows and did some live recordings hanging out before the show, on the ride to the show, and at the show itself. Its a really fun show overall, Harris manages to catch the most flak (from Phish fans) and he's the one promoting Phish, whereas Scott is the one bashing them for the most part haha. I'm pretty casual Phish fan, only been to two or three live shows, but some of my friends are pretty diehard. Feel free to skip the two "Analyze Fish" episodes, where different hosts talk about Jaws movies (sort of a spinoff / filler episodes).

Really cool that you're being active on the forum, appreciate hearing back from you and giving us the chance to interact. :) You should get Horatio on here too, but under a troll account. ;)

I am thinking back and I may have Brian Williamsed the count on Phish shows... maybe not quite 50... I've never counted but that number doesn't seem right. Maybe? Now I have to count dammit!

Horatio broke all of his fingers in the car accident, so I don't think he will be typing in the forum for a while. He can only handle 140 characters at a time.

• Like 1

Chad, I'm loving the show and the editing. It's changing a bit every episode, and it's only getting better!

One of the best parts for me was Horatio talking about how people mangle his name. My name isn't hard to say, but it's hard for some people to get the Spanish pronunciation correct. It frustrates me to no end, but I should let it go.

Chad, I'm loving the show and the editing. It's changing a bit every episode, and it's only getting better!

One of the best parts for me was Horatio talking about how people mangle his name. My name isn't hard to say, but it's hard for some people to get the Spanish pronunciation correct. It frustrates me to no end, but I should let it go.

Someone mangled my name the other day too. I was like "how do you get 'you fucking dickbag' out of Chad?!" they're not even close!

• Like 4

All I could think about while Erinn was talking about juice.

02_juice.jpg

I am thinking back and I may have Brian Williamsed the count on Phish shows...

Heh.

I am in love with the transitions in this episode.

I have some recording equipment and iphone apps (that I have NO idea how to use, really), and back in November 2013 I went and visited my old Colorado friends that I had not seen properly in about 10 years. I decided to record some conversations as we touched base and reminisced, etc, with the plan of cutting it all together into an hour long little personal podcast of sorts that I'd then send to them. I have no idea how to use Garage Band or Audacity or any other sound-editing programs, so I kind of did the fade away on my project. If only I had decided to do an image project! I know Photoshop. I should've played to my strengths!!

This episode captured the feel I had in mind for what I was hoping to create. I'm totally going to go back and dissect this episode whenever I decide to revisit my little audio experiment.

Great work, Chad!

• Like 4

Well... My favorite new podcast has been made even better, because one of the hosts is here with us! Sorry if I made your heart sink for a moment, but I guess that was also my goal... It's really amazing to get a response. I love the inside baseball recap, especially the part about the jukebox song. If only I could smoke a joint with you guys in some back alley somewhere! Maybe I'll get the chance one day.

And like Kajus pointed out above, the editing and transitions are one of the things that make this podcast stand out, I think it's the first thing I ever commented on. The varied style is refreshing and keeps me on my toes, and in this episode it really just felt like quick jumps through time as we joined you on this trip (and I guess that's what they were). Really great stuff! You and Horatio are a dynamic podcasting duo.

• Like 3

While I may want the conversations in these episodes to go on forever, there's a real art to editing things tightly while preserving the spirit of the show.

I love that Earwolf 2.0 has given Horatio and Chad (and Lauren Lapkus) the freedom to experiment with different formats and they're embracing it wholeheartedly. I also love that the Raj question was answered only a few weeks later, and I love that Milana Vayntrub will be on an upcoming show. I'm full of love, guys.

• Like 5

I am in love with the transitions in this episode.

I have some recording equipment and iphone apps (that I have NO idea how to use, really), and back in November 2013 I went and visited my old Colorado friends that I had not seen properly in about 10 years. I decided to record some conversations as we touched base and reminisced, etc, with the plan of cutting it all together into an hour long little personal podcast of sorts that I'd then send to them. I have no idea how to use Garage Band or Audacity or any other sound-editing programs, so I kind of did the fade away on my project. If only I had decided to do an image project! I know Photoshop. I should've played to my strengths!!

This episode captured the feel I had in mind for what I was hoping to create. I'm totally going to go back and dissect this episode whenever I decide to revisit my little audio experiment.

Great work, Chad!

Thanks bud! I use Pro Tools 11. Mostly because when we set up the studio, I asked for it because that was the platform I was most comfortable in and that I knew I could work with relatively quickly. Old dog, new tricks etc...

The transitions in this episode are owed a lot to the film's great choice of music. All the music is from the movie except for our opening and closing themes, and I added "Emotional Rescue" (a little nail on the head, I know, but fuck it) and the guided by voices song in and out of Brian's interview, because he is a GBV fan.

• Like 2

Well... My favorite new podcast has been made even better, because one of the hosts is here with us! Sorry if I made your heart sink for a moment, but I guess that was also my goal... It's really amazing to get a response. I love the inside baseball recap, especially the part about the jukebox song. If only I could smoke a joint with you guys in some back alley somewhere! Maybe I'll get the chance one day.

And like Kajus pointed out above, the editing and transitions are one of the things that make this podcast stand out, I think it's the first thing I ever commented on. The varied style is refreshing and keeps me on my toes, and in this episode it really just felt like quick jumps through time as we joined you on this trip (and I guess that's what they were). Really great stuff! You and Horatio are a dynamic podcasting duo.

I was waiting for the... I AINT!!! lol.

Awesome post. Thank you so very very much.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this