🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
SteveH

References!

Since we all know good comedy is as simple as just saying references, I figured we should probably just go ahead and list all of them by category. I'll start us off.

• Wingdings (font) - Thank you to Sean
  • AskJeeves (search engine) - Thank you to Sean
  • Netscape (internet browser)
  • Sanka (instant decaffeinated coffee drink)
  • Crystal Pepsi (discontinued transparent soft drink)
  • Be Bop & Rock Steady* (antagonistic duo of the teenage mutant ninja turtles)

After listing these few examples, I can already feel myself getting funnier. I think I've cracked the code. If you just say things that are old or products that no longer exist, then you've made joke. Jokes is easy and people will think you are smart and funny and cool if you say jokes.

*the reason this is funny is because these are tertiary characters from the TMNT universe. Just saying 'Leonardo', for example, is not as funny. Thank you again to Sean.

• Like 4

Hopefully this topic at least makes the top fails of 2015 list

The last time I heard anyone mention Sanka at all was at the end of that "Yatta!" flash animation from 2002. I think references from that are good, too. Ash gala wonderful. Easy rider salad the mall.

• Like 2

ooo good one mwn or the one thats the end of the world and the guy is talking with a weird accent like "HOkay so"

• Like 3

ooo good one mwn or the one thats the end of the world and the guy is talking with a weird accent like "HOkay so"

OMG Greggy commented in this thread!!? He's like, a HH forum celebrity! I now think that this is a cool smart thread!

edit-I did NOT edit this because I did the abbreviation right the first time!

Or that one with the guys that go 'badger badger badger badger badger badger badger'

• Like 3

I'm going to keep beating this dead horse:

Joe Piscapo

I appreciate the support, but, again, that pic and username are much too scary!

i don't know how to change them

i'm yelling at my computer to change them and i keep pouring computer juice on it but it's not working

• Like 1

I think you have to push a little button with a pen or paper clip or something

That GIF officially made this thread way too scary. Moderators, please delete this entire thread. This creature must be destroyed

• Like 1

Is floppy disks a reference yet? those kinds of disks is like the old kind that computers used a while ago. I'm trying to make some references, because being able to make jokes has been identified as being very cool and smart, but i'd like to use them effectively.

Here's a test joke:

Hey geek (I point at a geek) is that a floppy disk you have? (the geek has a regular disk, but I referred to an older kind of disk instead)

When I told this joke to myself, I had a blast and I thought it was really funny, but I just want to see how real jokesters think of it.

EDIT:

List of References in This Post:

- Floppy Disks (old computers)

• Like 1

I think the only problem with that joke is that nerds is cool now (or is that part of the joke? Because you're also joking about making fun of nerds since they're actually the ones that are cool)

Floppy dicks? Maybe there's something there. I don't know...

• Like 1

I'm glad you picked up on the social commentary in my original joke, I'm very interested in exploiting this new trend where nerds is cool and jocks is not as powerful as before.

To respond to the floppy dicks angle, I think it's a great observation but it's not as much of a reference as 'floppy disks'. Of course, saying 'dicks' might be another avenue to humor that isn't references. Unless you're always just referencing the first person to say 'dicks', in which case it's a great reference and references are entirely what jokes is.

EDIT:

Another cool reference: The 'my wife' joke.