🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SlidePocket

Seventh Son (2015)

This film finally came out three years after production had wrapped! And with Seventh Son getting slaughtered by critics and bombing at the box office, I felt this needs attention on the forum based on its production history.

Originally going to come out in the spring of 2013, then delayed until the fall of that year, then pushed to January 2014 and finally with February of this year, there are so many reasons why it kept getting sat on the shelf, especially the split between Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros. with the former moving over to Universal.

This is also the third consecutive sci-fi/fantasy related flop in a row for Jeff Bridges following RIPD and The Giver, and is now out the month the Oscars are held with Julianne Moore touted to win for Still Alice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXiNkOjM7oM

I remember seeing the trailer for this before "Pacific Rim." Nearly two years ago.

Also, apparently it's based on a YA novel (called "The Spook's Apprentice;" gee, I wonder why they changed that?). I guess maybe it wasn't a good idea to adapt a book nobody's heard of, then change the title so that even fans of the book might get confused.

I've seen bits and pieces of this, and it just looks like standard bullshit, nothing particularly crazy or interesting. It's not helping or hurting anyone's career, I'm sure everyone has done worse, and it's probably not worth wasting a show on.

What really boggles my mind about this movie is the cast. Jeff Bridges, Julianne Moore, Olivia Williams, Djimon Hounsou, and even Kit "You Know Nothing Jon Snow" Harington (though for just one scene... for some reason. Maybe production/release delays were so prolonged that this movie predates much of 'Game of Thrones'?).

There are also some really cool bits of set design and such, but the movie is just a complete fucking mess. The opening scene involves a prologue in which a young Jeff Bridges imprisons Julianne Moore's witch character in a big hole, then an elaborate time-lapse sequence shows canyons and rivers being formed and then disappearing across a vast landscape. Then we meet Jeff Bridges in a bar. So... did like 100,000 years pass or something? Is Jeff Bridges and immortal? A long enough gap for geologic time to make a significant change in the physical geography of Whereverthefuck-land? The whole movie has this blase "who gives a shit?" attitude to plot and logic that is really annoying, which probably resulted from a REALLY poor adaptation of a mythologized world in the books (which I have not read). Imagine if they tried to explain the political landscape of Westeros in a two minute prologue. Not saying that this source material is up to par or complexity with George RR Martin, but the result is still a mess.

• Like 1

A friend saw it and said it felt like it was trying to be a Skyrim movie rather than what it was adapted from.

A friend saw it and said it felt like it was trying to be a Skyrim movie rather than what it was adapted from.

So it consists of people screwing around in dungeons and occasionally remembering that there was a plot they were supposed to be involved in?

• Like 4

I treid watching this movie twice and fell asleep both times. This movie feels like a long episode of Beastmaster with witches and should star Nicolas Cage. That being said, this movie is just bad. It's not so bad its funny, it is just pure garbage. I hope they never do a show on this.

Prince Caspian aka Billy Russo and The Dude need to contain President Coin

I also fell asleep twice trying to watch this

Sign in to follow this