🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 6 - Rock of Agee

Horatio and Chad finally get the time machine working and travel back to before they leave for Santa Barbara and sit down with Steve Agee, formerly of the Sarah Silverman Program and talk rock and roll, dog safety and how the collateral damage of an act of terror got him kicked out of the Groundlings. Scott from Layfatte calls into the show with some exciting news and Mark from San Diego gets some solid advice. Back in the present, Horatio returns to Bro-Bro studios to dish all about attending the SNL 40th anniversary and tells a story for the Agees... err... ages....

Good ep! Loved the musical bits throughout, really fun texture.

Do you guys have any musical guests lined up? Maybe SXSW?

Good Morning! I delivered episode 6 to Earwolf at about 1:15 am pacific time last night. They were all good sports about it and July must have also been awake still because the episode was up about 30 minutes later. So thanks guys!

Time for some Wednesday morning inside baseball for Rock of Agee, and of course I will be happy to answer questions.

I highly recommend listening to the episode before you read further. Possible Spoilers....

This episode was actually "done" last Thursday and then two things happened. Earwolf let us know that we would have a sponsor read this week so I just figured, that's cool, we'll roll it on Tuesday when Horatio gets back from SNL and I'll throw it in the episode, no biggie. Then on Monday I got the text "I got high with Keith Richards!"

Monday night I watched Jimmy and Seth tell their SNL 40 stories and thought to myself that there was no way I was going to NOT get a couple of stories into this episode, especially knowing what I knew. Rog got back at about 6:00pm last night and we started rolling tape at about 7:00pm. He wound up talking about Sunday night for well over an hour. So many great stories, and many we simply CANNOT share. Sorry for the tease, but I say that to let you know how excruciatingly difficult it was to try to edit that conversation down into a single usable segment.

Then, as a result I had to make a few less difficult decisions as to what to cut out of the show, because with the ad roll and the SNL story, it was feeling long. A few phone calls hit the cutting room floor and a segment where me and Rog and Agee talked about other people's podcasts also got cut. As a result, I feel like the Rock and Roll theme of the show found itself. The KR story is legend and tied the whole thing together.

One quick inside story for some background: Horatio says that they were hanging out in Daryl's dressing room. He is of course referring to Daryl Hammond who has never really left the show and has now taken over for Don Pardo, RIP. I got to hang out in Daryl's dressing room back in 2002. His room is the one everyone hangs out in, including the Conan writers at the time because it was the biggest. The reason he got the biggest dressing room though isn't because he was a bigger star or more important or anything like that, it was very simple, he needed the space. His dressing room is filled with videotapes of every movie, tv show, news program you name it. He uses the tapes to develop his brilliant imitations.

When I was there in 2002, it was for the Al Gore / Phish episode and if you recall, there was a Robert Smigel cartoon in that episode of the Peanuts devolving into a Christmas Dionysian orgy narrated by Brad Pitt. SNL had been trying desperately all day to get Brad Pitt via an ISDN line to record the voiceover but they just couldn't find him. At about 5 o'clock on Saturday, they just decided that Daryl would just imitate Pitt and do the VO in house. So Daryl comes into his dressing room, and there were about 6-8 of us sitting in there, and he finds a videotape of "The Mexican" and puts it on. He fast forwards until he finds a line he likes and then plays it, imitates it, rewinds it, repeat, about 5 times and all of a sudden he IS Brad Pitt. It was one of the coolest things to watch. That's MY Daryl Hammond story!

There are two details about this episode that I really love. First the name. Not because it is any kind of clever pun (although it is!), but mostly because when we came up with the title I didn't realize that the first words out of Agee's mouth were "I wish my name lent itself to a cool title like that!" - in fact, I didn't realize until after I was finally listening to the master and writing up the description of the episode and I just love that detail.

The second is for the participants in this forum. In the last thread, we were talking about the radio static effect and I wrote that longer post about how I was trying to get away from it whenever possible. About an hour after I wrote that, I was editing in the Steely Dan song FM underneath the Coachella conversation. I honestly just picked an arbitrary part of the song to fade up on and figured I would just crossfade into the next bit.... but right when Steve stops talking the lyrics went to "No Static at ALL (no static at ALL)" and I couldn't resist and I was laughing my ass off. That one's for you guys.

Hope you enjoyed this weeks show. I'll be popping back in from time to time.

To answer the question about music guests: David Bazan will be appearing on a future episode and SXSW will definitely have a musical theme to it, which is all I can say....

Peace!

• Like 10

To answer the question about music guests: David Bazan will be appearing on a future episode and SXSW will definitely have a musical theme to it, which is all I can say....

Yes! Now I'm down the Pedro rabbit hole.

• Like 1

UGHHHHH I came to the forum to beg for more inside info on the SNL 40 thing, and now I KNOW you guys got the juicy deets but can't spill them!!

I like how you found the theme for the episode, nice when it works out pretty organically like that.

Lastly, Chaddy you are still rocking the Jon Doe avatar... thought you were working on that! Shrink down that pic with you and Raisin and you have a winner.

• Like 3

UGHHHHH I came to the forum to beg for more inside info on the SNL 40 thing, and now I KNOW you guys got the juicy deets but can't spill them!!

I like how you found the theme for the episode, nice when it works out pretty organically like that.

Lastly, Chaddy you are still rocking the Jon Doe avatar... thought you were working on that! Shrink down that pic with you and Raisin and you have a winner.

Okay... here is a nugget: Horatio got Lucy Liu and Jane Krakowski to roll with him in the limo to the Plaza. Again... legend...

and I just figured out I can shrink a picture using "paint".....

• Like 5

Another fantastic episode. Your dedication to finishing an episode just in time for Wednesday is awesome Chad

• Like 2

What kind of doggie is Raisin? He doesnt seem like a small doggie from that picture

And Chaddy we need to chat about SXSW!! I really wanna see y'all but I need to figure out when and how to get out of work

• Like 1

This episode had an amazing flow to it. Agee is always a delight (I am loving the energy he brings to Nerd Poker), and I could listen to the three of you chat for quite a while, so much so that when the Bazan ending music kicked in I was like, "Oh! Oh my, oh no, oh wow, I can't believe I'm at the end." Once again, great flow to the ep.

Loved the backing music tracks when Billy Joel and Steely Dan came up. Too funny!

• Like 1

What kind of doggie is Raisin? He doesnt seem like a small doggie from that picture

And Chaddy we need to chat about SXSW!! I really wanna see y'all but I need to figure out when and how to get out of work

He's a small Dachsun (?) - he was a rescue so I don't think anyone knows for sure. I promise you he is sitting on my lap in that picture!

The SXSW show is going to be Sunday 3/15 - I don't have a specific time of venue yet...

• Like 1

This episode had an amazing flow to it. Agee is always a delight (I am loving the energy he brings to Nerd Poker), and I could listen to the three of you chat for quite a while, so much so that when the Bazan ending music kicked in I was like, "Oh! Oh my, oh no, oh wow, I can't believe I'm at the end." Once again, great flow to the ep.

Loved the backing music tracks when Billy Joel and Steely Dan came up. Too funny!

One of the things that I love about this episode, is that this is the first episode I've mixed where everything the guest says is presented in the order it was said. There are no time jumps with the guest, other than to skip something and jump forward.

• Like 2

It was subtle, but I dug the effects involved with Agee's phone call. I think that for Earwolf listeners, The Hooray Show came at exactly the right time- I4H and CBB fans have been chomping at the bit. Now to get the word out there...

• Like 1

I know others will comment on the actual content, but I just want to say I quite enjoyed that Loot Crate ad. I wanted to know what the box looked like, dammit! :P

• Like 2

Great stuff. I'm glad to hear that Horatio was at SNL 40 and had a good time, because I was a little disappointed to not see him on the live show (and minimally in the clips, although it was pretty funny that they devoted a whole section of the "breaking" song to him and Fallon). The Keith Richards story was amazing. Getting the show recorded and posted so fast helps a lot with something like that (and, if I had known that, I would have listened sooner rather than waiting until this morning). And of course Agee is aces.

• Like 2

post-99880-0-50118200-1424367316_thumb.jpg

I know others will comment on the actual content, but I just want to say I quite enjoyed that Loot Crate ad. I wanted to know what the box looked like, dammit! :P

• Like 1

A bit off topic, but really interesting behind the scenes SNL stuff from Norm MacDonald over on his twitter. If you haven't read it there, this article has all the tweets condensed into a long paragraph.

http://gawker.com/ho...riellebluestone

I just read it. After reading it, I am a bit more sympathetic to Eddie and a little bit flabbergasted by Norm and Higgins that there was no compromise, Was it really Cosby or nothing? Could he have not been James Brown on Celebrity Jeopardy? Kind of a shame. But, I also get the feeling that Eddie is just tired of being funny... he put it all out there and he's done. There is nothing wrong with that either....

• Like 2

It sounds like the show in general wasn't well planned/coordinated (by Norm's account), but that joke killed. I don't blame them for keeping it and not compromising, but yeah, they could've found something more interesting to do with Eddie (in another segment at least). Maybe it was that he backed out too late in the process and they didn't have time for a backup plan (the exact timeline of when he was approached and said no is vague, my first read through made it sound like he said OK and then recanted, but I may be wrong about that). Again, sounds like too much of it was sort of last minute planning. In the end the Eddie segment was kinda awkward, but you're probably right about him being a bit tired/weary. I don't blame him for not wanting to do it though, no matter whether it was out of reverence or just not wanting to stir the pot or whatever.

All in all, it was a really interesting show. I really liked the audition tapes, the Waynes World sketch was super solid, the bit with Dana and Beyonce (some of the intermediate bits aside), Celebrity Jeopardy, the digital short about breaking (thats the most we got to see Horatio, right? for shame!), and Bill Murray doing the Jaws song. Oh and the "In Memoriam" with the Jon Lovitz and Bill Murray caps was a great tribute with some levity at the end. My main gripe was the Californians and the clips were a bit too short in all those montage segments.. almost wish they left those out and just focused on bringing the old and new cast together for new stuff (and not a verbatim retread of an old skit). But hey I'm not Lorne or anything so, I'm happy with what we got. :)

Anyways, again apologize for being off topic, don't mean to steer discussion away from a great episode!

• Like 1

Anyways, again apologize for being off topic, don't mean to steer discussion away from a great episode!

I don't think you are off topic at all. The SNL 40th was arguably one of the biggest events in the history of comedy on television. Horatio and I talked about that. In fact, CNN called him this morning to appear on TV at 11:45 am with Gilbert Goddfried to respond to Norm McDonald's tweets. You can take that for what it's worth, but people are talking about it 4 days later.

http://www.snappytv....tc/484302/92754

• Like 1

Hahahah Gilbert Goddfried is such a hot mess. I love that Horatio gave a taste of his experience with Keith Richards on CNN.

Oh one disappointment I neglected to mention before -- I wish they had done a few more clips of Tracy Morgan (at least one more during that segment). Some people said they thought that was a little morbid, he's obviously not dead or anything, but one clip (though preceded by some kind words) felt like not enough.

• Like 1

Hahahah Gilbert Goddfried is such a hot mess. I love that Horatio gave a taste of his experience with Keith Richards on CNN.

Oh one disappointment I neglected to mention before -- I wish they had done a few more clips of Tracy Morgan (at least one more during that segment). Some people said they thought that was a little morbid, he's obviously not dead or anything, but one clip (though preceded by some kind words) felt like not enough.

The one clip they did play got me pregnant.

• Like 1

Just wanted to say that I really liked Horatio's comment on Chappelle: "Chappelle is like, seeing like Spiderman walk into a house." & while I'm at it, thanks for that gawker link to the Eddie Murphy story.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this