đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
justinmh05

R.I.P. Harris Wittels

I keep trying to distract myself from it. And then I think about it. And then I go online.

And then I lose it.

I want to marathon all the CBB eps where Harris was a guest. But I am not sure I am ready. I can take it in bits ad pieces (not really), but all at once feels like a wave of reality that I won't be able to handle.

• Like 2

I saw a tweet about it and assumed it was a joke. It wasn't until I caught a headline about it that it sank in and I felt like I'd had all my damn insides scooped out. Harris was responsible for some of the biggest laughs i've ever had, and losing my shit in public places. I can't stop thinking about it. I had to come here and say something, nobody I know understands what we've lost like you folks.

I appreciate Earwolf so much for bringing my attention to Harris as a comedian and person. He was astonishingly good at both of those things. My heart is in pieces and what thoughts I can manage are condolences and sympathy to everyone who truly knew him.

Stand... Creak... Slam... RIP Harris.

• Like 3

I want to marathon all the CBB eps where Harris was a guest. But I am not sure I am ready. I can take it in bits ad pieces (not really), but all at once feels like a wave of reality that I won't be able to handle.

my thoughts exactly. I admire all the people who can dive headfirst into the sorrow, but I can't seem to put myself through that just yet. I was catching up on the most recent Getting Doug's and he was in the ad for the live episodes... it took me by complete surprise and felt like someone had punched me directly in the stomach. other than the painfully prescient Eardrop clip, I don't think I'll be able to hear his voice for awhile without holding back tears.

however, that doesn't stop me from googling his name every five seconds... fuck.

• Like 2

Terribly sad. Harris had that ability to feel like an old friend to his audience, which makes this even harder. Bye Harris, I can't describe how much you'll be missed.

• Like 1

i think this article does a good job describing why I feel more personally affected by this. Podcasts feel much more personal than any other medium, especially someone like Harris who was so open about his issues. people are just training on these podcasts for long lengths and often not in character. A coworker asked me about Harris and as I was talking i had to excuse myself because i was on the verge of breaking down.

• Like 4

If anyone else also wants to make this their ringtone this week...

Also oh crap, just hit the ep where they play "celebrity alive or dead" and Scott insisted in Harris's presence that he was was dead (that being the joke of that bit), yikes...

foamtheme.mp3

• Like 5

Chelsea has been putting up some Harris gems on her instagram everyone should check out. a video of him arm wrestling, text convos, and a photo him reenacting the last supper.

• Like 1

Chelsea has been putting up some Harris gems on her instagram everyone should check out. a video of him arm wrestling, text convos, and a photo him reenacting the last supper.

Not to mention his pretty sizeable dick on Twitter. I.. am really curious about the story behind that one hahah.

• Like 1

Not to mention his pretty sizeable dick on Twitter. I.. am really curious about the story behind that one hahah.

It's explained in CBB #52 Introducing: The Japan Dogs, with Harris, Sarah Silverman, and Ben Schwartz. The conversation starts at 46:30.

In the Sarah Silverman Program writers' room, Harris had a habit of taking his dick out as a gag whenever he got bored. On one such occasion, Rob Schrab hosed him down with hand lotion, and Sarah forced him to stand there in shame until she took a photo. That's Sarah's dog Duck (RIP) sitting in Chelsea's lap.

• Like 1

hahahhaha that was hilarious. there is also a pic (maybe from the same situation, haven't listened to ep 52 to know for sure) in the Sarah Silverman book of him whipping it out.
  • Like 1

Alison Rosen also reposted her interview with Harris (MP3, iTunes, RSS) for those in a listening mood. It's lighter than his WTF interview, and much lighter than You Made It Weird, but still touches on drug stuff. Mostly career and relationships and family, though.

• Like 2

Chelsea is killing it with the Harris memories. Lance Bangs also shared this voicemail from our boy in heaven:

• Like 3

Chelsea is killing it with the Harris memories. Lance Bangs also shared this voicemail from our boy in heaven:

I remember this as an Eardrop response from Harris to an Eardrop bit that Scott Aukerman recorded for what I suspect was meant to be an April fools thing, but maybe got played a couple days early. The episode following the one with the heaven message has a call from Harris returning "amongst the living". I wish podcasts could come true

• Like 4

I've been catching up on the Harris episodes that I hadn't listened to yet, and listened to the John Heder one (great ep) yesterday. They play alive or dead and Scott asks Harris if he's alive or dead which was pretty funny/sad :/ RIP Wittels, I've only known who you are for around a year but you were hilarious, will be listening to your stuff and watching Parks & Rec in your honor. Save a piece of stashburry pie for me up there!

• Like 2

I felt like I was hit by a ton of bricks when a friend of mine texted me the news. Like many here I've been a fan of Harris' appearances for many years and am so incredibly sad for his family, friends, and fans. Tellingly and unfortunately one of my first thoughts was 'This guy was Walter White he liked chemicals so much.' It's a damn shame another person lost their fight with addiction. Fucking chemicals, man. I haven't been able to listen to a classic appearance since Harris' passing, but the Analyze Phish MSG ep and UTU2TM? commentary ep are going on tonight.

'Who's Oliver Subpodcasts?'

R.I.P.

• Like 2

Nothing to really say that hasn't already been said, other than I believe I started listening to CBB in late 2013/early 2014, which means I haven't even known who Harris Wittels was for that long, on top of never having met him personally. And yet I've still thought about his death a lot every day since it happened. It's kind of amazing how profound of an effect just listening to someone on some podcasts can have.

And fuck, I'm gonna miss the guy. This just sucks so much.

• Like 1

I'm already sad for whatever tribute to Harris comes out on Monday. Just such a loss!

Oh man, I had a feeling that Farts & Pro 4 was in the can based on one of Chelsea's tweets. On one hand, I really want to hear what Scott says in the intro ASAP, but on the other hand, I don't really want to start crying at work, so I guess it can wait. In any case, I'm really glad that this exists, and (without having listened, although I doubt that will change my opinion), this feels like a much better "tribute" than something specifically intended as such.

• Like 4

I was just listening to the Nerdist hosts talk about Harris (MP3) when a eulogy published by his sister Stephanie appeared in my feeds.

“Analyze Phish” was just the most Harris podcast of all time because he was always obsessively determined to make you see things his way. I obviously never liked the band Phish either because why would I, but for literally decades, Harris refused to accept this as a possibility. One year when I was living in New York, he finally wore me down enough to get me to a show at Coney Island that he swore would change my life. It didn’t. He wouldn’t give up. A couple of years later, he swore that the String Cheese Incident was totally my jam and dragged me to a show at Radio City Music Hall. It still didn’t work. To Harris, this meant that there must be something wrong with me.
  • Like 5

I obviously never liked the band Phish either because why would I

hbFI66e.gif

• Like 2