🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
CraigHowe

We will miss you Harris

"WiFi? Because Fi."

I've told myself that joke hundreds of times since the moment I heard it.

Goddamn it, Foamy. Thanks for so very many laughs.

• Like 8

I was in a thrift store last week and the guy in front of me was buying a backpack, and the lady at the counter asked if he wanted a bag... all I could think of was the Foam Corner response... "Lady that's what it is!"

Harris gave me many of my best laughs in the last few years, consistently. A huge loss for comedy. Thanks Earwolf for bringing so much of him to us over the years.

• Like 6

"I want to open a Jamaican, Irish, Spanish, small plate, breakfast restaurant and call it 'Tapas da Mornin' to 'Ja.' "

One vote for a best of (worst of?) Harris episode.

• Like 7

I cried a lot last night. Falling asleep was extremely difficult, and waking up this morning was crushing. This is so sad and it's going to feel terrible for a long time.

• Like 5

Immeasurably sad. Besides everything he left us, all his Earwolf episodes and Parks and Rec, there were two amazing podcasts he did with Pete Holmes. "Harris Wittels Returns" Nov. 19, 2014 is classic and important. I can't recommend it more to anyone struggling with addiction, realizing now how it can end.

• Like 3

I'm devastated.

He had an incredible list of achievements for a 30 year old but it's the effortlessness that's really striking. It seems like he was just so naturally funny and likeable that he could have this amazing career without really doing anything much other than being himself - a super relaxed, silly, stoner dude type.

• Like 3

Like many others have said, this is a very odd instance for processing feelings as despite never meeting the guy, we all feel like we have a fully formed image in our minds of him through the time spent on podcasts etc. I think it's difficult for non-podcast people to udnerstand the weird connection we develop with all these people, all the hours spent in these peoples lives that you just don't get in other entertainment mediums. I only have 1 friend in real-life who listens to the same stuff and both vented our sadness this morning, as it definitely did hit me hard to hear the news. Got some emotions flowing while listening to foam corners :P

Harris was always one of my fave CBB guests, and I would frequently refer to him in my personal life as one of the funniest people/comics I was a fan of as there was very few people who made me genuinely laugh like he did. I re-watched the VPN who charted with him on a few weeks ago as its one of my go-to time killers when not in the mood for much else, it just makes me happy.

Rarely a day goes by that I don't recite "Where there's a will there's a Wayans" and other such bits of foam at some point in my head. A lot of the nonsense he came up with really struck a chord with me and I'll forever love him for that.

Such a huge loss. RIP wool gatherer.

• Like 11

also realizing that my earwolf forum name is Bryan Pieces. no more farts and procreation. fuck this day. if anyone needs a shoulder ill be at the nearby Carls' Jr. <3 you heaps foamie.

• Like 2

RIP Harris. You were a stone cold chiller. First story I looked at today, randomly came across an obituary with Harris' name, and my heart sank. I had spent the previous several days listening to episodes of U Talkin U2 To Me and Analyze Phish, and just never got tired of Harris' unique humor. No more Foam. I knew the only place to come to be with other folks who could understand how funny and special he was is the Earwolf forums. He'll always live on in the pods we have to enjoy on repeat.

Tapas the Mornin' to Jah and " That's like when young Mike and Omar took out the trash...Good Epps" are two absolute classic Harris moments. He had a way of tagging up on jokes with either a amazingly convoluted button or a simple cheesy one liner that would just crush.

Addiction is such a tough struggle. I come from an alcoholic family, and have had my own bouts with addictive tendencies. I know the difficulty in changing your lifestyle after quitting a substance, and just wanting to enjoy a party. I have to say there was knowing concerns over the Phish concert eps, but it just gets brushed aside as, that's just for a good time at a concert, I've done shit just as crazy as that. Damn, this hits in a way similar to Robin Williams or Philip Seymour Hoffman, but almost more personal. Something about listening to these folks on podcasts makes the relationship so personal with the listener. Spread love and positive energy. I'll miss my tour guide through the cosmos.

• Like 8

I, like many others, am sad to make this my first post on the Earwolf forums.

We lost a great comedian, writer, producer, and more: Harris Wittels. His appearances on Comedy Bing Bong always made me crack up and his interactions with the group while doing the podcast Anaylze Phish were a great insight into who he was as a person. His writing on Parks and Recreation along with his many many other comedy contributions will be missed.

If you enjoyed Parks and Recreation, The Sarah Silverman Show, Comedy Bang Bang (Foam Corner is a must listen), much more...please check out some of his podcast appearances:

http://www.earwolf.c...harris-wittels/

2Ltu7aF.gif

"Goodnight, you animal."

#humblebragRIP

• Like 2

This is the worst celebrity loss I've ever experienced. I felt like I knew Harris without ever even meeting him. He was effortlessly funny, and I've listened to each Farts and Pro episode over a dozen times. He was so young and had so much more to give. My love goes out to his friends and family. I'm so sorry, Harris. I just wish you could have beaten your addictions. The comedy scene just won't be the same without you.

• Like 2

This is the saddest I've felt in a long, long time. And I never even met him.

Much sympathy for Scott and the rest of the Earwolfers.

• Like 2

I'm in tears today but it does give me some solace to see so many people feel the same exact way I do. This has got to be the hardest hitting death I've yet to experience. I'm lucky to not have experience a lot of loss yet in my life, but this is the first time I've actually cried over someone's passing and man, I've never even met the guy. But it doesn't feel that way, right? Having the privilege of getting to know Harris through podcasts feels different, because it's not like we love him for one piece of work or one bit that he's done, but it's the repeated appearances, the candidness of everything's he's said, that makes me feel like I know him well enough to know that I really adored him for just who he was, and not necessarily his work first. And that's what makes it so hard to swallow. Fuck. I'm so sad. I hate to think that he was just trying to battle with this darkness within him and trying to make everyone laugh at the same time.

• Like 5

I am not sure I can listen to Analyze Phish eps anymore. Especially the concert ones.

• Like 1

I am not sure I can listen to Analyze Phish eps anymore. Especially the concert ones.

I sure as fuck can't. I couldn't even click on any of the CBB Foam corners people were linking today because I'm still in shock. And I never got around to listening to the most recent episode of YMIW won Nerdist that Harris was on but I really really don't think I will in the near future. I'm so devastated.

I'm still feeling so sad today. Losing Ryan Davis a couple of years ago made me realize the unique one-side friendship that podcasts have the ability to create, due to their intimate nature. And it's what makes these tragedies feel so personal and devastating.

I remember exactly where I was when I first heard Harris on Comedy Bang Bang, waiting at a train station in Ottawa. It was just after one of Ice-T's problematic ideas, and when he brought out his phone I fell in love with his sense of humour. There was always a charm and lovable quality with his delivery that made his jokes great, and lent itself to anti-comedy so well. And ever since, I've delighted in every one of his appearances on this and other earwolf shows.

I think some of my favourite jokes by him were his extremely convoluted ones, like: "Did you guys hear about that new deal where if you, you go in on it with a cast member from That '70s Show? You get a discount on mustard and/or salad toppings. It's a Laura Prepon Grey Poupon Crouton Groupon". And I have a sneaking suspicion based on his jokes like that that he made some contribution to the great parks and rec throwaway news headline "Ice Town costs Ice Clown his Town Crown".

It sucks, it's painful, it's in many ways unbelievable, but what's getting me through it is re-listening to his comedy. Even in this sad state, and knowing that I will never hear anything new from him, I still can't help but laugh at everything he does. He was a special, talented man, and my heart goes out to all of his friends and family.

• Like 12

When I went to the Facebook comments to explore why they had blacked out the profile pic, I froze.

Im thankful to Scott for introducing me to Harris. Im so sad that such a unique comedic voice is gone.

• Like 2

Nothing to say that hasn't been said. Harris made me laugh so, so much, and that means a lot to me. Always seemed like a really sweet guy on every show I heard him on. Couldn't believe it when I read the news this morning. Still can't. Just awful.

See you in that big corner in the sky, Foamy!

• Like 2

Sending so many good thoughts to his friends and family. This is the hardest a show business passing has hit me in my entire life, and I know it's an illusion but it really felt like I knew the guy. So funny and relatable, especially as a fellow Phish fan. The outpour of love and support on the Phish boards is really beautiful to see and I'm glad he touched so many people so positively. His F&R CBB episodes and Phoam Corners specifically have been go-tos to cheer me up during tough times.

Much love Harris, thanks for so many laughs over so many mediums over the years.

• Like 1

I've decided that before next week's batch of podcasts— in which I am presuming all of the talented comedic hosts that knew Harris will probably say something of Harris in memoriam— I went and downloaded all of Harris' CDDR/CBB, UTU2TM?, and Analyze Phish eps, as well as the most recent You Made It Weird, and I'm just marathoning them all weekend. I'm currently listening to CDDR #52.

The You Made It Weird ep was amazing (I cannot believe I hadn't heard about the topics discussed in it from anywhere where I usually hear things). In it, Pete and Harris were on the topic of death. Harris stated about death that it's a part of life and should not be sad, and then made an exception, speaking on the death of Robin Williams as an example. He stated what I've been feeling since I heard the news of Harris' passing:

"It's sad to not get his comedy anymore, and it's sad for his family."

It was nice, super-fun, and dare I say comforting having his comedic voice permeating so much great stuff over the past almost-decade. I'm upset that this is the end, and there is no longer a person and their comedy career to cheer onwards for what would have been many decades.

So now I'm just binging all the things. I hate death.

• Like 7

I was compelled to join the forums just to offer my sincere condolences to everyone involved. To Scott, all the Earwolf family, CBB and Analyze Phish crews and all the fellow fans. I've been feeling depressed about it since I heard yesterday, but I can't imagine how everyone else close to him is feeling. I have been a fan of CBB for a few years now. I always appreciated Harris' "i hate myself" kind of humor. Some of my favorite all-time Earwolf moments involve him. Foam Corner. Farts and Procreation. My second favorite is his recurring bit on U Talkin U2 to me?! when he would unveil "secret recordings" of Bono and The Edge discussing things, which would always lead to Bono and The Edge engaging in homosexual acts. God, I love his stuff on the commentary episode. My FAVORITE Moment of all time though.... http://www.earwolf.c...hollywood-bowl/ Listen from 1:20:30 - 1:23:05 Nothing has ever made me laugh more on an Earwolf podcast, other than Tim Heidecker doing Star Trek impressions. I work a very miserable job and even during my prevous jobs, Harris has been a part of making every day more bearable. Only just yesterday I was listening to all of the Farts and Procreation episodes and laughing myself dry for the umpteenth time. The joy that Harris has given me is now sadness. I feel like a star has exploded and turned into a black hole. Taking all the light with it. RIP Harris Wittels. I didn't know you, but I felt like i did, and you had a great impact on me. See you throughout the cosmos, Hairdog.

• Like 3