🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
CraigHowe

We will miss you Harris

I've been addled on cold medicine the past few days to the point where I was sure this was some absurd waking dream my mind had concocted, but no, it's true. As many others have said, it's like losing a friend I'd never met. He was such an integral part of the Earwolf fabric, and podcasting in general, that I don't know what things will be like from here on.

I take solace in the fact that Harris was prolific in his endeavors, and that so much of his voice is on record. It will, at least, not be like saying goodbye, it will just be an extended time apart until we meet again elsewhere in the cosmos (sorry).

I hope that Harris's openness with his struggles with addiction will inspire others out there who may be suffering, in secret or in public, to take the next step and seek help.

• Like 3

Like alot of others I registered to add my voice to the chorus. Harris added so much joy to my life, and I am genuinely feeling blindsided by how much this hurts.

There aren't many days when I don't hear his voice in my head. I can't imagine how hard it must be for the Earwolf family and his friends. Sarah Silverman's tweets are especially heartbreaking.

Condolences.

Like brussel sprouts and broccolini, his fifteen minutes were up.

• Like 2

I think he wouldn't mind that last part but I'm so mixed up I don't even know.

edited to add:

Foam Corner 11 is one of my favorite moments in podcast history.

• Like 1

Holy fuck, does this not feel real. Is this really a thing that's happened now, not just a funny running joke on U Talkin' U2 to Me?

Harris was a force in my life just through Earwolf podcasts that I listened to too many times to try to count - and that little show that inspired the Farts and Procreation trilogy. Dude was absurdly hilarious. I could never hear Foam Corner enough. I can't wrap my head around the fact that I'm posting in a thread eulogizing him.

• Like 2

I really want this to be a joke. I keep seeing it on the entertainment news. On entertainment sites. In the paper. And I keep hoping that maybe someone, somehow got it wrong.

I would forgive the darkness of it, if it could have only been a joke.

• Like 2

Harris was amazingly funny, and what he accomplished speaks to his amazing talent. I did not have the fortune to know him, but he always seemed so very down to Earth and I admired that about him. It just really sucks that someone with such a great talent to make people laugh is gone.

To his co-workers, friends, and family I send my regards.

• Like 1

So I made this account years ago but rarely used it... I had to come back because, like many of you, it's like I need a fucking support group because nobody else understands why you are mourning someone you never met.

My obsession and adoration of Comedy Bang Bang has been a solitary one. Nobody I know listens and I rarely get to talk about it. It's what I listen to while driving and when I'm trying to sleep, when I am alone and want pleasant background noise.

Harris was my fucking favorite. I probably have listened to and laughed at his voice for at least 2 hours every week for the last 3 years. It's funny how when you listen to these podcasts of a bunch of friends having fun and laughing, and you are laughing with them, you feel like you know them. These podcasts have enriched my life and Harris was central to that.

When he admitted to the heroin use on You Made It Weird, I started to get worried that this would happen but he never seemed troubled about it. That's part of what makes this so weird. I'm just so sad and also appreciative of all of his work, which I sm obviously immersing myself in right now. Sorry this is so long, but it really feels like I'm going through some sort of grieving period about this.

• Like 9

I'm listening to old Harris podcasts today rather than focus on work. It makes me so sad to lose a member of the Earwolf community, whether I knew them personally or not. He was so young and had such an amazing future ahead of him. He, and his future foam corners, will be missed. R.I.P. Harris.

• Like 2

Its awful. Just awful. It feels so much sadder than other celebrity deaths, because podcasts bring you so much closer to a person than a movie or a TV show. And when Harris was on, it was always a good time. Good jokes, bad jokes, he was such a likable guy. There's a giant hole in the podcast world now.

I usually look forward to Mondays for CBB and a whole week of new podcasts, but this week's going to be rough. I imagine we'll be hearing lots of funny stories about Harris. Laughing and crying at the same time.

• Like 4

It's taken me a little while to process this, so here goes.

There is something very unique about comedy podcasts. I don't think that there has ever been a more honest and real/unprocessed form of art. The listener gets to know the people really well, they have inside jokes with them, and they share those inside jokes with other friends who are listeners.

And you experience a relationship with the people anywhere you are at, on a train, walking home from work at night, moving from one city to another, those people are with you and bring you joy and help to carry you through. What people talk about less is that comedy podcasts see a lot of people through some very dark times in their lives. We don't talk about it that much because it can make people feel awkward and uncomfortable, but the reality is that a lot of people experience a lot of dread and misery in their lives. I certainly have. When the darkness and heaviness envelopes me, and I want nothing more than to stop living, the first thing that I go for is Analyze Phish or Comedy Bang Bang. It has really helped me, when I really needed help. It's hard to convey how much that means. Harris Wittels meant something real to me. He meant something real to a lot of people. I feel like I lost a really good friend, one who was there when I really needed saving from the darkness. I know that a lot of other people feel the same way about him. What a fucking legacy. He was fucking great.

RIP Harris. I wish that you didn't love chemicals so much that we might as well call you Walter White. Thanks for being our tour guide through the cosmos(sorry).

• Like 10

RIP Harris. I wish that you didn't love chemicals so much that we might as well call you Walter White. Thanks for being our tour guide through the cosmos(sorry).

omg the Walter White thing -- my heart sank and I started laughing at the same time.. Harris would've fucking loved that.

• Like 6

Nothing that hasn't been said already, but we're all grieving, so I figured I'd share my thoughts as well.

I've been lurking on the forums for a long time, but unfortunately it was this sad circumstance that compelled me to finally contribute. I got into podcasts during a pretty unhappy phase in my life. As I made my way through the Earwolf back catelogue, Harris quickly became one of my favorites. No matter how shitty things were going for me, I still had my podcast friends to cheer me up. Harris was hilarious and we still have hours of content to go back and listen to again, which I of course have been doing.

One of my favorite Harris moments: "I got a one minute long handjob at a Cowboy Mouth concert." - Analyze Phish, Episode 3

Thanks for the laughs, Harris. You will forever be my tour guide through the cosmos. Sorry.

• Like 6

I can't really add much to what's already been said here. Like most of you, I didn't actually know Harris but still feel an incredible sadness. He always made me laugh unlike almost anyone else. His humor was so smart and dumb at the same time, and he was so quick with a joke. I always liked seeing his name pop up on an episode in the morning when I checked my feed.

Part of my sadness is knowing that we will miss out on decades of comedy from him, but another part is knowing that he was going through an incredibly difficult time battling addiction. Similarly to the Robin Williams tragedy (albeit a different situation), I am always saddened by the idea of those who can bring so much joy to so many, while struggling to find peace in their own lives.

I heard Harris talk about his addiction on Pete Holmes' show a few months ago. It was sad (but typical Harris, also very funny in parts) to hear him talk about what he had been going through, and I held out hope that he was finally going to beat it. When I heard the news Friday morning, my heart just sank.

So, I feel like I've lost a friend, even though we never met. His friends and family are in my thoughts and prayers.

RIP, Terrorist Wittels. You will be missed.

• Like 4

The fact that so many of these posts are so similar says a lot about Harris and his impact on those he never met. His silliness, absurdity, wit, and honesty brought us so much joy to us. I've spent the last few days revisiting my favorites of his and checking out a few appearances to which I never listened. There has been a lot of sadness, but also plenty of uncontrollable laughter. Like many of his fans, I'd imagine, revisiting our personal favorite moments of his every few months is nothing new. And that won't end anytime soon.

Thank you, Harris. I wish I could have met you. I hope you knew how much you were loved and adored among comedy fans. And I mourn for you, your family, and your friends.

• Like 5

oh my god... in the wake of this tragedy... a Farts and Pro 4?? I just happened to wake up right now... listening to Scott's intro for the episode. I am laughing and crying. What a fucking treat.. I am so thankful this took place but at the same time,I can't believe how recent this is.

Fuck, you guys. I haven't listened to it yet. Still listening to Scott's intro, which is so beautiful and respectful by the way. FUCK I am so thankful we have more of him. than we did yesterday. THANK YOU SCOTT!!!

• Like 2

He had me at "you had me at come on guys".

Goddammit Harris, I wish you weren't as good at making me cry as you were making me laugh. I'll fucking miss you.