🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 336 — NOT Farts and Procreation 4

I had a feeling this would be coming. I'm still bummed out about this. Harris really was an inspiration; I feel like he helped shape my own sense of humor. He brought a lot of joy to my life in dark times. I've said it many times before, but Podcasts are so personal that you feel like you really know the people in them. And the "podcast community" (well the LA one at least) is such an insular group that you feel like you're in some kind of tight group of friends with everyone. So this hit harder than most celebrity deaths because podcasts are so personal, and Harris is so open, that so many people really felt like they knew him. So this has been a massive bummer. I didn't actually know him, but I do think he would have liked to know that this weird, dumb, silly, hilarious show came out. Because everything he says in this episode was hilarious.

• Like 6

Ignoring all the sad stuff (because I can't do anything else) do you guys ever remember Chelsea being this upbeat during a show? It was so nice to hear the joy in her voice as the episode went on and I think it really made it so much easier to listen to.

I'm so thankful to Scott for releasing this. Thank god for him.

• Like 6

Thank you Mr. Aukerman for releasing this episode, I really needed it and I can't be the only one.

I personally went from laughting at a few tweets late Thursday night thinking it was some sort of play on the RIP Terrorist Wittels joke hashtag from an Analyze Phish, and when i scrolled back in my timeline in a half groggy state my laughter turned to pure horror.

I felt like I truly knew Harris just by listening to his endless brilliance on any medium he touched, and for him to to be gone makes the world a less funny place. Without podcasting I don't think that Harris' unique and always hilarious life perspective would have infected as many people as it did with the genius that were his jokes. Even his half baked ones are funnier than other people full formed ones. Not being religious, I do feel feel like every laugh he gave us was something close to a blessing, and I think everyone should tell a friend about the late great Mr. Wittels. Maybe that will prompt people to go down the rabbit hole of Harris's podcasts (most likely horribly soundtracked to Phish IMO) but if they don't it is truly their loss.

I don't know if Mr. Wittels passing was intentional as it would only make this unbearable tragedy all the worse, but there needs to be more converastion in general about mental illness, addiction and its effect on some of the most talented people alive. Harris is dead and cocksuckers like Bill Cosby and Terrence Howard walk the planet.

In times like this Earwolf thank you, as releasing podcasts like this is what i think Harris would have wanted.

R.I.P. Harris. He was right, motherfuckers do just want to laugh.

• Like 5

Also, I'm totally going to jerk it to Harris to keep his memory going. (that part really finally broke me)

• Like 5

Motherfuckers did laugh. I've never met Harris, but he's one of the funniest people I've ever heard. Since I heard his first CBB, I've been following his work. A part of me is still expecting this is just a joke and he's fine. Great episode, thank you Scott. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

• Like 2

Thanks for this ep, really funny and I'm going to miss him a lot.

Thank you Scott and everyone else involved in getting this episode out today, and my sincerest condolences.

I never met Harris, hell, I never even exchanged so much as a tweet with him. So why does this hurt so fucking much?

• Like 3

I can't add anything new here that hasn't already been said.

So again. Thank you Scott for releasing this ep and your kind words at the beginning of it. I wanna send my love and support to Kulap and you and the whole Earwolf family.

A lot of us would have never known or noticed Harris' work without you. And you both have given us so many laughs that help us make it through all the pain and heartache in this world.

I wanna laugh. Thanks for the laughs.

#MFWL

• Like 4

Thank you for releasing this. Held my shit together until the last part at the end. My mistake for riding the train while listening to the episode, laughing and crying like a goddamn lunatic. Rest in peace, Harris. I want to find the alternate universe where you're still around.

• Like 4

One thing I enjoy about Ear Wolf is the communal vibe that seems to come attached to it. It seems like the majority of the performers are friends and it's a pleasure to hear some of the most brilliant minds in comedy working together to put out amazing podcasts and do wonderful projects without ego getting into the way. It's also nice to know that these performs pay attention to their fanbase. It's nice to know that I can tweet positive things to someone like a James Adomian, a PFT, an Andy Daly, or a Lauren Lapkus and know that they've seen it, appreciate it, and sometimes are even kind enough to write back. It's nice to know that the behind the scenes staff is willing to answer questions and provide insight into the goings on at EW. It's nice knowing that Scott reads these threads, gauges our feedback, and tries to give us what we want. The interaction between all these talented people and the fans that consume their media helps to break down the barriers and humanize them in a way that isn't possible with other entertainers. Thus feelings of emotional investments/attachment are created.

While that's almost always a good thing, times like this makes it really difficult. I've been fortunate enough to not have to endure loss in my personal life. (humble brag????) But watching what's transpired the last couple of days has been tough. It hurts to see such nice people dealing with such a tragic experience. It makes me sad knowing that the people who have brought me countless hours of joy are feeling sorrow. Hearing Scott's introduction and the sadness in his voice was painful to listen to. It literally hurt to hear him like that. I didn't know Harris and I don't know Scott, but listening to the introduction of the show was heart breaking. I can only imagine what this must be like and I offer my condolences to anyone who knew Harris either personally or as a fan of his work.

Thanks for releasing the episode, Scott. The post intro content was hilarious and it was great to hear everyone having such a great time. The scheduling bit was actually interesting. It was funny, but it was also cool to hear about the work that goes into scheduling something like this. I took it for granted, but it sounds like it was a near herculean task to get everyone together again. I couldn't be more thankful that you did.

And whomever was responsible for the closing montage they did an amazing job. It feels nice to be able to celebrate comedy despite whatever else may be taking place in the world.

Mother fuckers just want to laugh indeed.

• Like 19

Dan Engler mentioned it in the RIP Harris thread, but I haven't heard Scott's voice sound this way since he decided to say a few words about Andrew Koenig. At the time I didn't even know who AK-47 was, and I may even have been spacing out since I knew the episode was wrapping up, but hearing the genuine anguish in Scott's voice was arresting. I remember him mentioning how he wasn't sure if it was appropriate for him to say a few words on what's otherwise a very silly show, and I have to say that his decision to do so anyway impressed me greatly.

Podcasting is an extremely intimate medium, and while the main appeal of CBB might be the outrageous characs, after getting a chance to see Scott interact, so many times, with people like PFT, Kroll, Mantzoukas, etc, you get a sense of the genuine friendships between these performers, and I for one feel extremely privileged to be able to leech off of that for a little bit. It's like getting to hang out w/ these guys without being a total creep about it.

Point being, Scott, I appreciate your putting this episode out, and likewise your words at the beginning meant a great deal. When you're hurting, your audience hurts right there w/ you, and just like watching a dumb sitcom with your family, being able to laugh at you and your friends making dumb jokes together is exactly the right medicine. It's how you find solace in the company of the rest of you who are still here.

Which Harris has already said far more succinctly. Motherfuckers just wanna laugh.

Thanks, Scott, and thanks, Earwolf. This was painful to put out, but you just made thousands of listeners feel a little bit better.

• Like 21

One thing I enjoy about Ear Wolf is the communal vibe that seems to come attached to it. It seems like the majority of the performers are friends and it's a pleasure to hear some of the most brilliant minds in comedy working together to put out amazing podcasts and do wonderful projects without ego getting into the way. It's also nice to know that these performs pay attention to their fanbase. It's nice to know that I can tweet positive things to someone like a James Adomian, a PFT, an Andy Daly, or a Lauren Lapkus and know that they've seen it, appreciate it, and sometimes are even kind enough to write back. It's nice to know that the behind the scenes staff is willing to answer questions and provide insight into the goings on at EW. It's nice knowing that Scott reads these threads, gauges our feedback, and tries to give us what we want. The interaction between all these talented people and the fans that consume their media helps to break down the barriers and humanize them in a way that isn't possible with other entertainers. Thus feelings of emotional investments/attachment are created.

While that's almost always a good thing, times like this makes it really difficult. I've been fortunate enough to not have to endure loss in my personal life. (humble brag????) But watching what's transpired the last couple of days has been tough. It hurts to see such nice people dealing with such a tragic experience. It makes me sad knowing that the people who have brought me countless hours of joy are feeling sorrow. Hearing Scott's introduction and the sadness in his voice was painful to listen to. It literally hurt to hear him like that. I didn't know Harris and I don't know Scott, but listening to the introduction of the show was heart breaking. I can only imagine what this must be like and I offer my condolences to anyone who knew Harris either personally or as a fan of his work.

Thanks for releasing the episode, Scott. The post intro content was hilarious and it was great to hear everyone having such a great time. The scheduling bit was actually interesting. It was funny, but it was also cool to hear about the work that goes into scheduling something like this. I took it for granted, but it sounds like it was a near herculean task to get everyone together again. I couldn't be more thankful that you did.

And whomever was responsible for the closing montage they did an amazing job. It feels nice to be able to celebrate comedy despite whatever else may be taking place in the world.

You GOT it!!!

• Like 4

Holy shit you hit the nail on the head. One thing I definetly regret is that I have never seen/heard any of Harris' standup. I think a great gift to his memory would be if someone out there has any audio of Harris' standup. It would really be an epic thing for it to be released somehow. It would be a great way to raise some money for Harris' family, some sort of addiction charity etc. In some twisted horrible way maybe some thread of good can come from this senseless tragedy, and at the worst maybe he'll make us laught one last time....#MFWL

• Like 4