🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 336 — NOT Farts and Procreation 4

Scott, thanks for the cathartic intro. It helped me get some sort of closure to the grief I've been wallowing in all weekend. I've been avoiding Earwolf ever since Thursday, since I didn't want to laugh at any podcasts of any sort; I can see why you didn't want to release this episode but that bit about Harris saying that some motherfuckers just wanna laugh, man, I refuse to be sad anymore about this. Harris spent so much work doing things to just make people laugh even if he was battling some darkness within him, but, I don't want to have everything he did be in vain by refusing to laugh.

This episode was fucking classically hilarious and stupid, bless you CBB radio.

• Like 3

Scott, thanks for the cathartic intro. It helped me get some sort of closure to the grief I've been wallowing in all weekend. I've been avoiding Earwolf ever since Thursday, since I didn't want to laugh at any podcasts of any sort; I can see why you didn't want to release this episode but that bit about Harris saying that some motherfuckers just wanna laugh, man, I refuse to be sad anymore about this. Harris spent so much work doing things to just make people laugh even if he was battling some darkness within him, but, I don't want to have everything he did be in vain by refusing to laugh.

That really was a great intro

(grintro?)

• Like 3

Scott's shaky voice in the intro is making me tear up. Looking forward to this ep even though it will be tough.

Love ya Harris

Love ya earwolf forum chums

• Like 3

Cried like a little baby during the intro, then teared up a little again during the montage at the end with the "call from heaven", but I laughed all the way through the actual show. I've never been the type of person to be upset by celebrity deaths, but as others have said, with the intimate nature of podcasts it really does feel almost like losing a friend. Its crazy to me that even though I am so deeply saddened by his passing he can still make me laugh so much, but Harris was just an amazing comedian that way. RIP Terrorist, hope you're jamming out at the big Phish concert in the sky.

At least its apparently okay to still masturbate to him.

• Like 10

not looking forward to the tears that are sure to come during Parks and Rec tomorrow night.

While listening to Harris, just 90 days ago on You Made It Weird, it was obvious that he was trying to move forward but understood how opiate addiction is never fully in the rear view for a former user. I listened again this weekend and thought about how those close to him, if they knew what he was saying in that podcast, should have smothered him with attention and never let him out of their siight. He says "I almost overDee'd" and then moves forward in the conversation, being brutally honest and taking it in stride. When listening to that after last week's events, it's heartbreaking.

I have former heroin addicts in my family and among my closest friends, and that smothering with attention is what has saved a few of them at their darkest moments.

RIP Harris, you were so loved.

• Like 2

It's funny because what Scott said is true; even though I never met Harris, I feel like I "knew" him through his podcast appearances.

It's why I'm sad he's gone. It's also why I'm glad Scott decided to release this. Because it was like getting together with a friend one more time.

And that voice message at the end? Both funny and hard to hear at the same time.

You'll be missed, Harris. By many.

• Like 2

Harris spent so much work doing things to just make people laugh even if he was battling some darkness within him, but, I don't want to have everything he did be in vain by refusing to laugh.

Yes. I really liked what PFT had to say about this last week:

Paul_zpsd590216b.jpg

• Like 22

Comedy Bang Bang (Death Ray Radio) was in its infancy when I went through a tragedy in my own life 6 years ago. I discovered a place with one podcast that was so GOLD it could take me out of my sadness and keep me connected with the larger world ... I kept coming back, it kept me sane through the troubling years ahead.

The family here grew and grew and here we are ... Harris felt like part of all our family, the same way the whole huge community comes together in this special way on Earwolf ... I was praying for something to ease the pain on Monday ... and this is beyond any blessing I could have imagined. Thank you Earwolf and thank you Harris ... I am in your foam corner forever.

• Like 6

Not to derail things by talking about the actual contents of the episode ;), but I can totally empathize with the weirdness of dealing with dead former lovers, I spent several years trying to figure out what to do with some, shall we say, "personal" photographs of a late partner; it felt wrong to just unceremoniously delete them, but they were also painful to have around (and, ahem, using them in any way was out of the question, I guess I'm no Harris). The problem really only solved itself, in the form of a hard drive giving out. This was back before the high-definition-cellphone-camera era, so they were just a small handful of grainy photos taken with an early digital camera, but I imagine this is a much more common problem today...

• Like 3

I loved you Harris. God damn you were great. Thank you to the bros at Earwolf and Scott and Scott and Chelsea.

Creek. Slam. Sit.

I read the ads.

• Like 1

This is beautiful. Thank you everyone.

Hard to hear Scott pushing through the grief to deliver his intro, but he really knocked it out of the Fart.

RIP Harris.

"What about the friend, wheres she? Cause she sounds down to clown."

• Like 6

I had no idea until I started listening to the intro. It was a crushing blow. It never even crossed my mind that Harris wouldn't make it through his struggle with addiction. I cant handle the rest of the episode right now, but all I know is I'm really gonna miss Harris. He's someone who I always wanted more of, but even more so, I always wanted more FOR him.

• Like 2

Knowing what happens after they recorded the ep and all the sad feelings associated it was so much fun when they're arguing over the schedule and Adam finds out why his email app looks different. Just so unexpected and funny.

Feel a lot better listening to this and various Harris bits since his passing. Nice to know that the time we invest listening is invested in great people. Thank you to everybody involved.

• Like 4

Thanks to everyone at Earwolf for sharing this with us, and I am so sincerely sorry for all of your loss. Harris seemed like a lovely person and seeing how many people have been affected by his loss just confirms it. All my love.

Back to the #jokes -

I was laughing SO HARD at this:

Adam - "Hello? Who's this? Hello?"

Scott - "Hey Mark! Do you mind coming in here to take out the trash please?"

Harris - "Who are you?"

Scott - "Who am I?"

Harris - "Yeah"

Scott - "What?"

Adam - "Helloo??"

And then Chaz and Terrorist Wittels are trying to get the bit back on track and the Scotts just kept saying "What?" "Hello?" "What?" "Who's this?"

A perfect send off because Harris getting mildly annoyed is my life's blood.

Then of course ending the montage with his phone call from heaven bit. Ouch, in the best way.

Creak, slam, sit. RIP Harris, I'll miss you very much.

• Like 15

I only saw Harris live once. It was for a recording of The Anytime Show with Dominic Dierkes podcast (which is no longer on iTunes to the best of my knowledge and I can't find it anywhere; I know it's ep #53, I just can't find a playable recording online). The show was recorded live at a little theater on Santa Monica Blvd, I'd try to make it every other Sunday or so, and it was always sparsely attended; maybe ten people max in that little black box theater. I would always sit in row two on the aisle, very close to the stage.

On that episode, sitting in their two white traditional armchairs, Harris tells Dominic the blowjob story and how the young lady had since passed away. I think it was at that part that I guffawed a bit in the audience (it could've been another honest confession of his where I guffawed, I honestly cannot recall). Harris then locked eyes with me for a split second with no discernable reaction on his face. But I remember that moment and thinking "Oh, was I not supposed to laugh at that? I hope I didn't offend Harris." Harris and Dominic continued their chat, and at one point Harris made a comment/joke about whether this was supposed to be a therapy session or not, so I think it was all par for the course of his direct way of expressing himself.

I worried about his reaction to my reaction for a few days, as I am prone to worry about things I in no way can do anything about. Looking back I'm sure it was completely inconsequential. I'm glad he had a better audience for that story this time around.

• Like 5

Thank you Scott.

Goodbye Harris. You made me laugh and inspired me so much this year. This is going to be hard for a long time. I wish everyone at Earwolf the best and that the laughs help them, and the listeners, through this time.

Like others have said, so glad that this episode was released.

Even without the tragic circumstances making us appreciate Harris even more, the ep was great and I would have loved the scheduling bit regardless. Plays right into my love of hearing bits that some people are enjoying doing and others really fucking hate it. Scott's distaste for the whole email reading was just beautiful

A really sweet intro from Scott and that ending was just so bittersweet and perfect. The past few days have been tinged with such sadness; for the loss of Harris, imagining the pain of all his friends and family, and the confusion of how all us fans are supposed to process this fairly unique situation of losing someone you don't know but weirdly feel so close to thanks to the birth of podcasting. The outpouring of love from other comics and fans has been really nice to see and I think it's helped everyone to see how much of an impact Harris had on all of us, and that it's not weird to feel so moved by the death of someone you've not met yet feel so bizarrely connected to.

Superglad that "Where there's a will there's a Wayans....that's something" made it into the supercut at the end, forever one of my favourite lines and Harris-isms.

• Like 4

This podcast is a gift. Not just this one, but all of them. It's interesting that Scott questions the point of all of this right before releasing this one. Harris passing just solidifies the point of this podcast. This podcast, along with Harris' many other appearances allowed us to get to know him. All of us who are not fortunate enough to be brilliant comedy writers would have no access to people like Harris. This podcast is probably the most important thing you could produce for most of us. Shows are funny, and denote more success, but ultimately for the viewer are well crafted jokes and characters. Seeing, and feeling like we can know these wonderful comedians means the world.

I was honestly shocked how much I was effected by Harris' passing. Many comedians have passed away over the years and they are always sad, but this really did feel like someone I knew. And I thought about all the Phish opinions and BS feedback people have for Scott or Harris or any podcast and I think we all just want to say "thanks". This is the greatest thing you can do for us. I feel like I know all these people because you let us in on the minutiae. They are right, the scheduling thread was great. We get to see you interact and it makes us feel like we're friends.

Just, thank you. Thank you for the show. Thank you for letting us know Harris. Thank you for Foam Corner. For me personally this and other podcasts I listen to has done more for me and gives me more satisfaction than the best TV show or movie out there. It does seem pretty thankless, so thank you.

• Like 20

Hearing Scotty Auktalkaroundtheclockerman's intro was just what I needed. Laughing makes you happy which releases chemicals into your system that helps battle depression and such*. The candid nature of the podcast was perfect and I could go on and on but it's more fun to read others' posts and see what they loved most about it / Harris. As a way to move on and heal, this will be my last post about RIP Harris. Any future comments about him will only be about his comedy/contributions. I will always remember Harris 'Foamy Humblebrag' Wittels, he made such an impact on me while listening to Foam Corner that foam will always make me think of Harris before the actual suds, much in the way escalators (stairs) remind me of Mitch Hedberg. I'm excited to see what the future brings for the comedy world and reading all of the comments in the forums / seeing the community come together and honor Harris was truly touching....my dick. Love you Harris, the book you signed for me when I saw you perform live will forever be displayed proudly in my collection [Humblebrag!].

A moment of levity:

Dylan Thomas reads "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night"

Fuck it bring on the laughs:

Parks and Recreation Humblebrag

Seriously though....buy this shit:

http://www.amazon.co...24714453&sr=8-1 - Used the Earwolf Amazon link.

*Laughing lowers blood pressure. People who lower their blood pressure, even those who start at normal levels, will reduce their risk of strokes and heart attacks. ...

Reduces stress hormone levels. ...

Fun ab workout. ...

Improves cardiac health. ...

Boosts T cells. ...

Triggers the release of endorphins. ...

Produces a general sense of well-being.

life.gaiam.com/article/7-benefits-laughter

• Like 4

It doesn't matter what comes after this. NOT Farts and Procreation 4 will be the #1 episode of the year.

• Like 11