🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Ofcoursemyhorse

Nell (1994)

This one was really not that bad. In fact, I don't think covering a film where one of its stars (Jodie Foster) was nominated for an Oscar for their work in it would really be ripe for the show.

This one was really not that bad. In fact, I don't think covering a film where one of its stars (Jodie Foster) was nominated for an Oscar for their work in it would really be ripe for the show.

Not really taking a position on this film one way or another (haven't seen it, don't really plan to), but it's not like the Oscars have chosen flawlessly for their nominations in every category. I mean, Meryl Streep won her third Oscar for a now-mostly-forgotten biopic that got mixed reviews.

Marisa Tomei also won for My Cousin Vinny. This movie does not age well and is pretty fucking nuts. Powder would also be a fun one for them to cover.

Not really taking a position on this film one way or another (haven't seen it, don't really plan to), but it's not like the Oscars have chosen flawlessly for their nominations in every category. I mean, Meryl Streep won her third Oscar for a now-mostly-forgotten biopic that got mixed reviews.

One of my favorite Oscar categories is the old 'Whoops We Should Have Given You One of These For One of Your Excellent Performances But We Didn't Because We Gave it to Some Other Crap We Can't Even Remember So Oops Our Bad Here Ya Go' award.

Jodi Foster doing Adam Sandler voices for two hours while Liam Neeson looks on in embarrassment.

It's almost as if Foster said : "I'm so bulletproof that I can do a deranged version of Sandler's Cajun Man and still score an Oscar nomination."

Sadly, the Academy took the bait.

What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Nell, and Forrest Gump all came out within a year of each other.

Not exactly a great time for Hollywood.

Seriously, even Sling Blade (which I think is actually the best movie when lumped in with the group above) is fairly questionable.

Watching Nell makes me feel bad for Liam Neeson. Jodie Foster at least got to make a choice for her performance. The scenes where Neeson had to try and replicate speaking her language are super cringe worthy.

Full disclosure. I was obsessed with this film as a teen. I have a speech defect and it was the only film I ever saw that anywhere near got close to how frustrating it is when people don't understand what you are trying to say. Looking back it is probably a bad Hollywood example of an actor getting kudos for 'crip-face' but at the time I loved it.

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this