🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 587 - So You Live in Harlem?

Ify Nwadiwe & Andrew talk about assuming a Black person who lives in New York must live in Harlem and gentrification. Don’t forget to keep leaving us messages by calling (323) 389-RACE.

Awesome discussion - I never really thought about the "Gentrifiers" and the root of places like Korea-town.

I'm also with you there about Brooklyn, Nwadiwe! I was born in Brooklyn in the 80's - I didn't meet a white kid until I was in fifth grade. I'm Latino (Puerto Rican); growing up, my friends included other Latinos, Black kids, Japanese & Korean kids, etc. It's crazy to me to go back now and see so many hipsters. College kids, I guess, are fine. But there are legit hipsters pushing out all the color and culture. Just jobless, yet entitled, assholes - it's like every joke about that place is true. And all the shops are retardedly expensive now. You can go into shops in a two block span and blow through 200 bucks easy, now. Just getting some stuff to eat/drink and whatnot. You know; trying to ENJOY YOURSELF?

It's culture-shock... in a culture I GREW UP IN. Fuck Brooklyn now. i remember it being called, "Crooklyn" back in the day... I wish there was a derogatory way to work "Hipster" into the burrough name now. Fuckin' hipsters...

But enough about my rant! It's just something that triggers me. But y'all always have better discussions than my friends and I; good ep! Loved listening to this.

And, of course, fuck "Guiliani's Manhattan" =D

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this