🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SelfieControl

John Wick (2014)

I don't think this movie is bad. This movie is amazing. It's the best movie I saw in 2014 (the worst one was Birdman). But I can see why people might *mistake* this for a bad movie. I want to hear what y'all think.

I love you for loving John Wick, but I am also saddened by your hate for Birdman. I think it's great. Not my favorite of the year, but I still enjoyed it very much.

Anyway, I would be curious to hear June's reaction to the death of that adorable puppy.

Wasn't there a thread for this already or was that some place else.?

-Quasar Sniffer, care to see the Al Pacino version of birdman? it's called "The Humbling"

I swear that Al Pacino is like a fine wine that just gets better with age. the type of wine that comes in a wicker bottle and is reasonably priced. And you can make an attractive candle holder out of the bottle afterwards.

Liked Birdman also enjoyed John Wick, Nothing better on a Friday night then a shoot them up movie and this one delivers. Takes gun punching to the whole new level. Should've been named gun punching.

This would fit in the realm of movies that are "bad" but they love them, like Crank. Personally, I thought this movie was absolutely brilliant.

• Like 1

Wasn't there a thread for this already or was that some place else.?

-Quasar Sniffer, care to see the Al Pacino version of birdman? it's called "The Humbling"

I swear that Al Pacino is like a fine wine that just gets better with age. the type of wine that comes in a wicker bottle and is reasonably priced. And you can make an attractive candle holder out of the bottle afterwards.

Yeah, I've heard about that little bit of WTF-ery. But the kind of wine that "comes in a wicker bottle and is reasonably priced. And you can make an attractive candle holder out of the bottle afterwards" is usually, you know, awful garbage Chianti. Are you suggesting that Pacino's recent roles have been rather unsatisfying and perhaps the best use for them is for after-market repackaging akin to candle holders. In this case, podcasts questioning how these movies get made?

Makes sense.

• Like 1

I think another actor that we all know and love has the market cornered when it comes to anything wicker-related (you could say that he's a man of it...), so maybe that lovely holder/bottle can be made out of a different material.

I think John Wick and Crank had a lot in common. They establish a motive for the character early in the movie, and once that's out of the way, they get right to it. They have the same sort of humor and John Wick plays around with subtitles like Crank does.

Birdman thought it was clever and needed you to know. It tries to comment on everything (drama vs movies, good movies vs bad movies, "what is art?", etc.), but never says anything. It is so self-consciously meta. It's a movie about a former actor making a play but the camera's presence is obvious from the framing. Plus, Michael Keaton's whole conceit is so precious. They can't wink at his Batman role and be done with it; his character's humor is based on his life in our world. They never break the fourth wall but they can't stop themselves from prodding it.

idk it seemed like the people tried for subtlety but then were too proud of themselves for being clever and just made moments more and more obvious so you could appreciate how smart they were too.

And I hate brooding, indulgent movies about genius men who wreck their families and now must live with their genius and romantic depression.

And I hate that stupid drum soundtrack.

I get the comparisons to "Crank," but I don't think "John Wick" has that extra oomph of crazy that would make it good for HDTGM. "John Wick" has a few crazy concepts (a hotel exclusively for hitmen, the whole plot being started because a gangster kills John's dog), but it's not quite on the level of "Crank," where every scene has something insane happening.

Birdman thought it was clever and needed you to know. It tries to comment on everything (drama vs movies, good movies vs bad movies, "what is art?", etc.), but never says anything.

So it's pretty much like the director's other movie that I saw and hated, "Babel."

When I watched John Wick, I felt that that world was just an extension of the world created in Kill Bill where assassins work out in the open and gangsters are a viable business outlet. The Continental Hotel was similar to the airline that the Bride flew on where people carried their weapons and the fights were similar in that police were never an issue and the mess would be taken care of by a third party. I have always thought Keanu worked as an actor as long as the role involved more action rather than talking, or that the talking was built towards his wooden-ness and the fact that realism inside a world that was quite fantastical was a nice touch like double taps and constantly reloading rather than waiting for an empty clip. I honestly can't wait for the sequel to come out.

• Like 1

Honestly, John Wick was the best, most satisfying movie I saw last year. The hyper reality of this world was slick, but they didn't go too overboard with it. Keanu Reeves was surprisingly great in this: the man can brood. And this movie had little moments of levity and humor, which were all well placed: the scene in the night club, where Wick is blasting a baddie, run out of bullets, reloads, and finishes plugging bullets into an unfortunate flunky was inspired (the balancing act look on Reeves' face was pitch perfect). Yeah, I can't wait for the sequel, either.

• Like 1

Yeah roles where he needs to actually act (Dracula, Devi's Advovate, Something's Gotta Give) he is terrible, but when he has to only show one of his two emotions (brood or rage) he is fantastic (Wick, Street Kings, Constantine).

I think another actor that we all know and love has the market cornered when it comes to anything wicker-related (you could say that he's a man of it...), so maybe that lovely holder/bottle can be made out of a different material.

If we are talking about the same person here, that certain person who is a castle aficionado, I think he prefers mead to wine.

2ewd2z5.jpg

BTW if you type into google.com, type, Al Pacino wine, then click pictures.

BINGO

al-pacino_2.jpg

HAHAHA, i had no part in this site. i swear. Sad no wicker.

The best part of this movie "John wick" was when he had to get out the hammer to break the concrete floor to get access to his guns stash. and what a gun stash it was.

Problem solving guns..

You can kill my wife.

steal my car.

but if you fuck with my dog, your dead!!!

ohh and that clean up crew, I loved that part and all services are paid in gold coins like that's easy to carry around with ya, real pure gold is heavy.

Quasar Sniffer, do you mean to tell me that the guy at the olive garden lied to me about the love of fine italian wicker bottle wines, was all a lie.

• Like 1

Honestly, John Wick was the best, most satisfying movie I saw last year. The hyper reality of this world was slick, but they didn't go too overboard with it. Keanu Reeves was surprisingly great in this: the man can brood. And this movie had little moments of levity and humor, which were all well placed: the scene in the night club, where Wick is blasting a baddie, run out of bullets, reloads, and finishes plugging bullets into an unfortunate flunky was inspired (the balancing act look on Reeves' face was pitch perfect). Yeah, I can't wait for the sequel, either.

Best moment of levity in the movie was after the first round of thugs are dispatched at John Wicks house, the police turn up at his door... See the carnage and "well, I leave you to it then...."

• Like 1

Yeah that's when I knew I was in for something new and interesting, and was proven right with the following cleaning crew led by the dude from The Warriors and the use of the doubloons or whatever those coins were.

This movie was amazing, one of the best ridiculous action movies ever. I wonder how many people John Wick kills in this movie, it's gotta be close to a hundred. My favorite kill by far was when he hits the guy with his car, the guy rolls up over the roof of the car and John Wick shoots him through the roof while continuing to drive. I literally laughed out loud in a crowded theater at that one cuz my brain couldn't think of any other response. This movie is simply incredible.

I believe the number for Wick is 62 in the movie.

This is totally a HDTGM feature in the vein of Crank and the Fast and Furious movies. So much fun that you wonder how it made its way to us. Paul, Jason and June, ADD this to your playlist!

Sign in to follow this