🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ScottDuncan

What movies for the live show

Hey, when do we get the movies for the live shows coming up for Largo? I am expecting a quiz and I want to be prepared.

According to the facebook page it's Deep Blue Sea and Lake Placid

• Like 1

2d83tbp.jpg

Figured out why Deep Blue Sea was picked. it's clear to me as day "cliffhanger"

The good news is that you can just watch one of these two movies and basically say that you've seen them both.

• Like 1

Both of these movies oddly enough, came out weeks apart in July 1999!

Both of these movies oddly enough, came out weeks apart in July 1999!

Noticed that too.

Why would they not wait for shark week, the national holiday for this, sponsored by Carl's JR and Brawndo.

I heard somewhere that when Hollywood releases 2 movies with a similar theme in the same year it usually means that ~4-5 years prior there was some major newsworthy event (with 4-5 years being because that's about how long it takes to make a movie from being greenlit to hitting theaters), for example Shoemaker Levy impacted Jupiter in 1993 and 5 years later we got both Deep Impact and Armageddon, and in 1996 some NASA scientists held a press conference stating that they may have found evidence of life on Mars (it later turned out that the traces of life could have happened on earth) and 4 years later we get both Mission to Mars and Red Planet. I wonder if there is something like that with these films.

• Like 1

I heard somewhere that when Hollywood releases 2 movies with a similar theme in the same year it usually means that ~4-5 years prior there was some major newsworthy event (with 4-5 years being because that's about how long it takes to make a movie from being greenlit to hitting theaters), for example Shoemaker Levy impacted Jupiter in 1993 and 5 years later we got both Deep Impact and Armageddon, and in 1996 some NASA scientists held a press conference stating that they may have found evidence of life on Mars (it later turned out that the traces of life could have happened on earth) and 4 years later we get both Mission to Mars and Red Planet. I wonder if there is something like that with these films.

Yeah, I think they mention that on one of the Cracked podcasts. It might be the one on "Parallel Thinking," but I can't remember. The only thing I can think of is that 1995 would have been the 20th anniversary of Jaws so maybe a couple of movie executives saw an article about that and thought, "Hey, let's make Jaws for the new millennium!" They then somehow forgot that Jaws is a great movie, and got all nineties with it.

To me, Deep Blue Sea and Lake Placid are the Liefield era X-Force to Jaws' Claremont/Byrne era X-Men.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think a Cracked podcast is where I heard it.

Although, to be fair one movie is about a croc attacking people in fresh water and the other is about sharks in salt water so they are you know, total opposites.

• Like 1

are you talking about copycat movies? studios ripping off each others ideas is nothing new, it happens all the time.

this years winner is the The Pyramid 2014 and the copy cat version discount dinner theater production staring Danny Glover, Day of the Mummy (2014) amazing.

I'm guessing both were inspired by Mummy Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

• Like 1

I had never really paid attention to who directed Die Hard 2/Deep Blue Sea. I didn't know he also did Cliffhanger, Cutthroat Island, Driven and The Legend of Hercules among others, it's like this guy makes movies aimed at HDTGM!

• Like 1

'Lake Placid' actually a good movie. A B monster movie with a good sense of humor. Accomplishes exactly what it wants to. I hope they don't try to claim it was trying to be the next Jaws and trying to be taken seriously.

Sign in to follow this