🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
HunterJE

Enough with the "wouldn't mind a TPK" already

For the last few months I feel like I've seen at least one commenter on just about every episode thread saying "honestly, I wouldn't mind if they just wiped and started over." I understand the sentiment, and it's fine to have opinions about the direction the campaign is going (I for one am still enjoying it, and am excited by the apparent plot injection from Dan's new character), but I'd like to make an argument that the TPK call is just about the worst way to express those feelings.

It is important to remember that while the Nerd Poker players (some of whom frequent these forums) are indeed entertainers making a funny podcast for us all, they are also gamers playing an RPG campaign. One of the most central parts of RPGs as a hobby is putting oneself into the character's shoes. Even in the deadliest horror campaign, and much more so in an adventure campaign like the NP folks are playing, the thing that keeps RPGs fun is bringing yourself to identify with your character at least to the extent where you somewhat care what happens to that character. Sure, once in a while when things go way off the rails or get incredibly boring, or when a player has to leave a campaign and wants to go out with a bang, the kamikaze route can be fun. But up until that point, we as RPG players tend to care pretty strongly about our characters.

Put yourself in the gang's shoes and imagine if someone walked into the campaign you're playing with your friends and says "hey, I hope all your characters die." I think for most players (and for that matter most GMs) that would be pretty hurtful. So while I think it's fine to discuss our opinions about where the show campaign is going, I think we can do so civilly, and the TPK talk should never be a part of that imho.

• Like 1

Those who see a post like this and decide to be a dick to be contrary are probably dicks already, and just maybe some folks will read it who aren't dicks but just didn't fully think through the impact of saying that offhand. Call me a utopian, but I feel like we shouldn't just settle for "it's the internet, so we shouldn't expect more than everyone being total dicks all the time..."

Your utopian views aside I just don't think we need another thread that devolves into the TPK/Blaine's campaign discussion.

Sign in to follow this