🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
UltimateOutsider

iTunes Started Downloading All Episodes

Yesterday when I launched iTunes, it started downloading the entire HDTGM catalog to my drive again. My subscription settings had not changed, and this is the the only podcast that was having this problem. To prevent it from re-downloading EVERYTHING, I had to set my subscription settings to limit the number of episodes on my computer to "10 most recent."

I'm curious whether this was an RSS problem, because the same thing happened to the Planet Money podcast a couple months ago... suddenly everyone who subscribed to that podcast started downloading every episode in their archive, and they ended up actually having to yank most of their older shows to limit the downloads. They said it was an unexpected side-effect of some feed changes on their end.

(Or is it just a fiendish plan to pump up HGTGM's iTunes stats mu-ha-ha-ha?)

Anyway, iTunes sucks.

I've been having the opposite problem in that, occasionally, HDTGM doesn't show up at all or doesn't download on iTunes. It is the worst.

There are occasionally issues with Earwolf RSS feeds wherein 1) they aren't updated after a new episode is published (causing the episode to not show up in iTunes) or 2) the feed is empty/broken (and the subsequent fix causes all past episodes to appear "new" to iTunes.) It's the combination of a publishing blip on Earwolf's end and weird behavior on Apple's end that results in both problems.

If you run into these issues, I find the quickest solution is to notify @earwolf on Twitter. That account is monitored by a bunch of dedicated Earwolf employees, who usually have a fix within a matter of hours.

• Like 3

I've had the same problem as Quasar Sniffer, its really as simple as a episode is not listed on the rss feed yet. if it's a new episode it take what feels like a day for it to show up on the main RSS feed. I've checked the feeds and it will not be listed even if it's shown on the main page. but a day later or hours later it shows up on the feeds. this isn't anyones fault it's just timing.

http://rss.earwolf.com/how-did-this-get-made

I've been using for all my downloading podcasts needs, an app called downcast. and it works great on the iphone ipad, iRing Note, still in development stage.. Plus what i like is you can manually download a podcast onto a windows pc and import it directly into itunes using itunes app page part of the sync folder. if it's too early to show up in the ear wolf RSS feed listings. You can also use imports from URLs links directly into a show folder. so say a program is not up yet but it's on the ear wolf site. i can find the URL for the show and have downcast download it directly from the url rather then say a RSS feed. it's really super powerful in that way. Link

a good windows based /player that supports RSS feeds is MediaMonkey. it can sync and download RSS based shows into a windows computer and some support for apple ipad ipod devices. I used that program for years. it's showing it's age now. but not a lot of good programs left. really got to spend a lot of time to get the most out of that program.

I really love that downcast app it's changed my life for the better. you don't know how many hours of my life have been lost downloading and syncing podcastings to a mp3 player.. now the phone does it all for me.

the same thing happened to me a couple days back with HDTGM and WSG... I un/re-subscribed to both shows and that fixed the issue.

Dan, who do I contact about getting that 20 seconds of my life back...?

Dan, who do I contact about getting that 20 seconds of my life back...?

2w4zmhl.jpg

This guy... i also know a good doctor.

Sorry I could not help myself.

• Like 2

I can't count the number of times I've had to select "subscribed" on my iPhone. Probably a dozen at this point. I WOULD LIKE TO SAY SUBSCRIBED, PLEASE

I can't count the number of times I've had to select "subscribed" on my iPhone. Probably a dozen at this point. I WOULD LIKE TO SAY SUBSCRIBED, PLEASE

Same here. And sometimes it's not just that the new episode is not downloading, it's that the entire catalogue of episodes is gone. Fuck iTunes.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this