šŸ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ɨ
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 106 ā€” Deep Blue Sea: LIVE!

Director Evan Goldberg and HDTGM All-Star Paul F. Tompkins join Paul & Jason at Largo in Los Angeles to talk all about the insanity in the shark film Deep Blue Sea. They get into how Saffron Burrows is the villain of the movie, Stellan Skarsgard new name, LL Cool Jā€™s relationship with his bird, and the infamous Samuel L. Jackson death scene. Plus, we hear LL Cool Jā€™s Hip-Hop prayer and the best song ever recorded for a movie during audience Q&As!

• Like 1

Thank you, Earwolf, for giving me little surprises like this that make my job tolerable. I love you.

• Like 5

I think the fact that the sharks' escape plan requires them to understand the concept of a medi-vac helicopter and emergency trauma treatment can't be overstated.

Ā 

Also, LL Cool J's video. Everyone watch it.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I wonder what about this movie brought out everyone's inner June. That it's just so nonsensical it leaves you stunned? It was nice to have her on in spirit and hopefully we get her back in full soon.

• Like 2

Ahaha how is BIRCH BOX MAN a real thing. Partnered with Madmen and bringing you whiskey stones and a pocket square jesus christ

• Like 3

Whenever someone makes a rousing speech and then gets blindsided, it's called a Deep Blue Speech.

• Like 4

So, can we just stop trying to cure Alzheimers by turning animals into stupid (uh, super) intelligent killers?!?

• Like 4

Okay, so bigger brains definitely don't just automatically mean smarter. Whales aren't smarter than humans. Crows are actually very smart. So are octopuses.

• Like 6

When Harlan was doing his walk the reason it took 20 takes is that he apparently kept walking into other people and off the dock.

• Like 1

LL Cool J should have worn this during the movie.

Ā 

t339_be200aae1c29816a6cb244a2802633aa.jpg

• Like 6

Ahhhh, Wikipedia says, "Stellan John SkarsgĆ„rd (Swedish pronunciation: [ĖˆstɛlĖĖˆan ĖˆskɑĖŹ‚É”oĖÉ–] ( listen); born 13 June 1951), also credited as Stellar Skateboard, is a Swedish actor."

• Like 12

Deep Blue Sea should one-hundred percent be viewed as an allegorical, passion play in the vein of Everyman.

So, I watched the delete scenes (with and without commentary) for this movie and there is a scene that was supposed to take place the morning after the birthday party. In it Janice is complaining of a hangover* to which Dr. Jim replies:

Ā 

ā€œA hangover is just not having enough fluid in your body to run your Krebs cycle, which is exactly the same thing as dying of thirst. So, dying of thirst would be feel like the hangover that finally kills you.ā€

Ā 

If that quote sounds familiar, you may be recalling when it was recited almost word for word by John Nashā€™s ā€œroommateā€ Charles in the award winning film A Beautiful Mind. Among the awards won by A Beautiful Mind were an Academy Award, Golden Globe, and BAFTA for writing. Akiva Goldsman, the writer of A Beautiful Mind, was also a producer of this film. So we should all respect that the dialog in this film is Oscar worthy and that an award winning film like A Beautiful Mind had no problem getting sloppy seconds off the cutting room floor from a movie that included lines like, ā€œShe may be the smartest animal on the planet, but sheā€™s still just an animal. Come to mama.ā€

Ā 

*It should also be pointed out that Janice, the character complaining of her hangover, had just revealed in the previous deleted scene that she was pregnant with Dr. Jimā€™s child. So her character is not just deplorably annoying, but also a potentially negligent and unfit mother. However, this may explain why she was killed via crotch/womb bite. It would have made this scene all the more tragic, but since the scene was cut, it just made her death look ridiculous.

• Like 10

First of all, shout out to Paul F. for being so irritated with how clearly obvious it was that the opening scene was shot on a soundstage/tank. I was laughing my ass off at how bad that looked.

Ā 

I've also got to say I'm in the camp that would argue the shark was consciously turning that oven on. Which means I also said "are you fucking kidding me?!" and died laughing at that part.

• Like 1

Omission: In the discussion of the hip-hop prayer, no one called out that LL Cool J quotes Theodore frickin' Roosevelt! ("carry a big stick" from Roosevelt's "Speak softly & carry a big stick."

• Like 2

I think Sam Jackson's origin story about horrible shit happening that we don't get to see might be an "homage" to Quint's story in "Jaws", which is what the long-rumored prequel would be about. It'd be great if "Deep Blue Sea" followed suit, only with "Deep Blue Sea: Origins" taking place on a fucking mountain.

• Like 1

So, if this bird was a figment of LL's imagination, a manifestation of all the self doubt and negative shit, does that mean that the bird getting killed was him finally shedding all that stuff and becoming the confident hero he was always meant to be? Symbolism, y'all.

• Like 4

They were soooooo close to mentioning it I thought with the rapping about sharks and the Will Smith movie theme songs, but NO ONE brought up "Shark Tale", which starred Will Smith and probably featured a shark rapping or a rap about a shark at some point.

• Like 1

"My head's like a shark fin!" How is LL not currently dominating the rap game with gems like that???

I believe it's actually "my HAT is like a shark's fin," which is somehow even worse.

• Like 3