🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 106 — Deep Blue Sea: LIVE!

Cameron H. for me if the movie is semi enjoyable the podcast seems better. Just got done listening to Cool as ice show. and I hated that movie, found myself fast forwarding through it for the most part. so I didn't really enjoy the show. but this one was amazing.

and now I am happy to say it, I've listen to every show now..

• Like 1

I realize that none of "Deepest Bluest" really makes sense but the line "I cause you to sink down forty thousand leagues" aggravates me the most. A league is a unit of length, not depth. Furthermore, it equals about 3 miles. The thing thats supposed to be impressive about 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is that the Nautilus traveled around the world several times while submerged. 40,000 leagues would be a "depth" of 120,000 miles. The deepest point in the ocean is the Mariana Trench at 6.8 miles deep so LL wants to sink you pretty fuckin' deep once he finishes transforming into a shark.

I [may] have some interesting gossip to add to this point. (This is just hearsay, so it needs to be fact-checked.) I have a family member who worked on the post-production special effects for Deep Blue Sea. According to this relative, the ending was changed without informing Saffron Burrows -- watch her death scene again: as soon as she jumps into the water there's no close-ups, no reaction shots from her being attacked: only a CGI rendering of her body being eaten by the shark as soon as she hits the water. Supposedly, she was NEVER told about the change to the ending, so she went into the premiere still thinking she was the co-hero of the movie and was totally gobsmacked sitting in the theater watching herself be unceremoniously killed in the climax and LL Cool J taking her place. Again, this was told to me by someone who worked on the movie, and it needs to be confirmed, but if true it's pretty amazing.

There was a similar story from Robert Rodriguez's Planet Terror. In that movie his son plays one of the Marley Shelton's son in the movie and at one point accidentally shoots himself after his mom tells him to be careful with a gun. Apparently Rodriguez film alternate scenes with his son living through the whole movie. His son didn't actually know that his character died for awhile as Rodriguez only showed him the edition where he lived to the end.

Deepest, bluest, my cat is like a shark's fin.

post-104399-0-09859000-1427326741_thumb.jpg

No joke, I have been singing that all week to my cat.

Correction -

During an "Avalanche" ice and snow moves at up to 186 MPH. Sam Jacksons statement is accurate.

This reminds me, I'd really like to see them do "Day After Tomorrow", the movie where freezing cold air can't turn a corner.

• Like 2

This reminds me, I'd really like to see them do "Day After Tomorrow", the movie where freezing cold air can't turn a corner.

is Samuel L. Jackson in that one?

I would kind a like to see, sylvester stallone "cliffhanger"

• Like 1

Oh, sure -- They are happy to show a woman being eaten by a shark, but not to show her enjoying it. Bloody typical!

;)

I'm down for most of this, but once they reveal her in her true form, could we bump LL's "Deepest Bluest" back a bit and end the movie with the song that should have been played over the credits?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ezkrrA4vhs

Of course!

After hearing the song, I begin to wonder whether they should put a post-credit sequence.

And if they do, should it goes like this:

1. Shark Saffron (kind of rhyme, maybe she should use this name from now on) eats both Thomas Jane and LL Cool J, puts her human suit back on, and then waits for the rescue team to arrive.

or...

2. Just when Shark Saffron is about to eat Thomas Jane and LL Cool J, she is shot with a tranquilizer dart. An eye-patch wearing Samuel L Jackson enters the scene. Behind him, helicopters, paramedics, soldiers.

LL Cool J: Franklin?! But the shark...

Samuel L Jackson: I'm Russell's twin brother. He's good with numbers and ice, while I'm good with...other things.

Thomas Jane: (looking at the unconscious Shark Saffron) What are you going do with her?

Samuel L Jackson: Don't worry. We will put her to a better use. She is going to save more lives than as a cure for Alzheimer's disease.

I swear, now whenever I think of post-credit sequence, the first person comes to mind is Samuel L Jackson

• Like 2

BTW, Samuel L Jackson finishing his commentary when his character gets killed off is one of the coolest things ive ever heard of. i just have an image of him commenting on the scene, then, without saying a word, taking off the headphones, walking out of the booth and straight out of the building, leaving the guys in the control room both bemused and in total awe

Another cool one is Robert Downey Jr in Tropic Thunder. Because his character is an actor who takes the method to absurd lengths, he has that line in the film where he doesn't drop character until he's done the DVD commentary. So on the DVD commentary for this he's in character as Lincoln Osiris until that character melts down, then he's in character as fake Russell Crowe.

• Like 1

one thing stuck out to me that hasn't been mentioned yet...When our God-fearin, cake-bakin, bird-lovin hero Preach is talking to Carter near the end, he gets all stone-faced and says, "Death is ALWAYS useless." WHAT ABOUT JESUS, PREACH??? WHAT. ABOUT. JESUS.

...pretty sure he didn't die for this movie but he's probably cool with it...that dude's pretty chill

• Like 2

Paul, could you please not say "mano y mano" any more? I believe you said it in this episode, and you have also used that expression in a few previous episodes.

"Mano y mano" means "hand and hand". We sometimes hear the more familiar phrase "mano a mano", meaning "hand to hand", used incorrectly when the context is more of a man to man thing, not bare-handed fighting as the phrase suggests. I think people have mistaken mano for the Spanish translation of man, whihc it is not. "Hombre" is the Spanish word for man. Taking the misappropriation up a notch by using "y" instead of "a" doesn't help. If you want to say "man to man" in Spanish, though, you could say "hombre a hombre".

But I love you, buddy, and I understand you never present yourself as an expert on the Spanish language.

And for all males on the show, including the various guests, please let June finish a sentence sometime. June has interesting things to say and is killer funny. When everyone talks over her and keeps her comments squashed under a pile of progressively louder male voices, we don't get a chance to hear her. I noticed this was less common in the older episodes, and most common in the live shows. Let the woman say something once in a while!

It grieves me to make these comments. I love HDTGM and have nothing but positive feelings about the show and everyone on it. Truly the best podcast ever.

Oh man, Renny Harlin. The most consistently terrible director since Paul W.S. Anderson and Brett Ratner.

From his bio:

Later he worked as a buyer for Finnish film distributor and met Finnish Markus Selin in Los Angeles. They became friends and started writing a screenplay called "Arctic Heat". The project started fast and soon they had Chuck Norris signed on leading role for the film. But with money problems shooting schedule didn't hold and Norris left the project, but Selin and Harlin got Mike Norris for the leading role. They wrote new script, Born American (1986), and got financial help from USA. In the year 1986 Born American (1986) was finished and the most expensive Finnish film ever opened in USA in over 1,000 theaters and reached no 9.

The film wasn't successful in Finland, where it was banned. Harlin moved to Los Angeles and got a job from _Halloween_ producer Irwin Yablans who offered him script of "Prison" to film. Film was made with low budget and distributed with only 42 copies. In the same year 1988 he got a job from New Line Cinema to direct A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988) after meeting producer Robert Shaye numerous times, who at the first didn't want Harlin to direct the film. It became the highest-grossing film in the series, though its budget was seven times greater than the original "A Nightmare on Elm Street" film.They wrote new script, Born American (1986), and got financial help from USA. In the year 1986 Born American (1986) was finished and the most expensive Finnish film ever opened in USA in over 1,000 theaters and reached no 9.

The film wasn't successful in Finland, where it was banned. Harlin moved to Los Angeles and got a job from _Halloween_ producer Irwin Yablans who offered him script of "Prison" to film. Film was made with low budget and distributed with only 42 copies. In the same year 1988 he got a job from New Line Cinema to direct A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988) after meeting producer Robert Shaye numerous times, who at the first didn't want Harlin to direct the film. It became the highest-grossing film in the series, though its budget was seven times greater than the original "A Nightmare on Elm Street" film.

Yes, you read that right. He got his start with a Finnish film they tried to get Chuck Norris for but had to settle for Mike Norris, and it peaked at #9. Then he made a low budget movie that ran with 42 copies. HE WAS IMMEDIATELY GIVEN THE JOB OF DIRECTING NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET AT THE HEIGHT OF ITS POPULARITY.

So many episodes coudl be done about his filmography:

Die Hard 2- By far the worst of the trilogy (4 & 5 never happened). Inexplicable 5 minute long male ass shot. "Wacky" janitor character. Awful dialog with Dennis Franz. The ending flaming jet line of jet fuel.

Cutthroat Island- For a while it held the record of biggest bomb in movie history. The movie that destroyed Geena Davis' career. Watch as her marriage to Renny dragged her down into oblivion; she was in so many of his terrible movies.

Driven- Godawful Stallone racing movie. Picture Days of Thunder dumbed down through the Stallone filter. Almost as homoerotic as Tango & Cash.

The Covenant- "The Craft with dudes", except with less of a story. Whereas The Craft was a magical twist on the cruel social atmosphere adolescent girls subject each other to, The Covenant is about...uuhhhhh. Warlocks have magic powers that age you the more you use them, so the guys waste it on blowing up girls' skirts. Except it never does age them so oh well. Villain uses powers like crazy and passes for a high school student even though he's in his 20s. Final showdown is throwing around the lamest fireballs you'll ever see. Hero is holding his own against the villain, then "ascends" by absorbing his father's power, gets no visible boost in power but immediately wipes the floor with the villain by doing the exact same thing he was doing before.

And WOOOOOOOO NYC show, finally!! Time to formally start my campaign to get Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer as the guests.

VINDICATION

• Like 1

I listened to this episode twice! It was amazing.

This is one of my favorite movies to torture my poor man with repeat viewings. He can't even get a complete sentence out with all his "What the...?!" & "No they didn't.."

I would never cast anyone else as my favorite sexy Shark Wrangler BTW. Thomas Jane was perfect! I wanted to beat the shit out of Saffron. There's been few movies where I feel true anger who a character & she just hit all those notes of selfish bitch. The dialogue though....OMG. Infinitely quotable.

This movie is fantastic! 5 STARS.

Upon re-listening to this episode, I had an epiphany.

What if, the ghost mentioned in L.L. Cool J's song refer to a subplot that was cut from the film, but had already recorded for the song?

I was wondering about the death scene of Saffron Burrows. After she is in the water just before she is eaten she makes a gesture to the shark with her hand as if to say stop and the shark stops for a second or two and then eats her.