🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 341 — Banging the Table with Stars

One of their songs I didn't hate, which is more than I can say about 99% of musical guests on podcasts and talk shows. (I hate music on comedy with an irrational passion).

this sentiment makes me feel like i understand being human a little less.

• Like 18

also, there was zero tension or 'shutting down' vibe. everyone was just happily rolling with each other. it's tough to jump into a podcast as someone from outside the scene and follow all the 'official' comedy improv rules. very few people could do that, and i thought stars did a fantastic job.

• Like 17

I've heard of Stard, but Stars?

Thanks for setting the record straight, Brett! Sometimes I think you guys are listening to a different show than I am. This was just lovely. Must be a bunch of creole pieces of shit setting up shop in this forum. I want my money back!

• Like 7

If you haven't seen these yet, go watch Claudia's three "viral" videos she made to promote her family's travel agency:

• Like 4

this sentiment makes me feel like i understand being human a little less.

i'll send you some spreadsheets

also, there was zero tension or 'shutting down' vibe. everyone was just happily rolling with each other. it's tough to jump into a podcast as someone from outside the scene and follow all the 'official' comedy improv rules. very few people could do that, and i thought stars did a fantastic job.

Now those are some cold hard Hollywood Facts. Check it out people!

• Like 2

In case anyone missed it, do yourself a favor and check out Claudia's 3-part travel video series on youtube. I saw that she was a guest on CBB this week so I checked it out, and it's honestly one of the funniest, most original things I've seen in a good long while.

EDIT: Oops, looks Iike iron Chef Mexican already beat me to it - apologies for not checking first.

• Like 2

Now those are some cold hard Hollywood Facts. Check it out people!

Do I also need to take out my dick?

• Like 1

Do I also need to take out my dick?

like it's not out already.

• Like 1

Great episode overall. Claudia's Kim Cattrall was fantastic.

The Ads were great. Sean and Hayes and Kumail(!!!) were fantastic. When Kumail joined in I just knew my days of FF were over. Great move Scott! Hope the advertisers appreciate it.

Stars: yeah, I know... a little bit chatty but great musicians. And the last song (Look Away) got to me - may get the CBB bump from me.

I think Stars just didn't know the rhythm of the show. It was probably tricky for Scott at that point to tell them and he strenously tried to control it (via direct questions to the characters) and it got better as the show progressed. I think Scott did a great job of handling a tricky situation - this is to be expected from non-comedian guests, especially if the don't already know the show. Not every band can be "Tears for Fears". Claudia and Brian handled it like pros (the way that Claudia responded to the "Mum" thing was great) and I enjoyed it through and through. No harm, no foul.

• Like 2

Regarding the "Mum" thing, I think it worked much like it works when Scott challenges someone on their character, it forced Claudia to come up with something better, and she very much did that.

I do like the presence of musical guests in general. They definitely have a different energy from comedy vets but I don't mind a bit of actual reality in my CBB cocktail. I loved Aimee Mann's presence in the early episodes and she didn't tend to do much other than tell anecdotes and the occasional dry remark.

Although there was this great exchange after a meandering conversation that had touched on the Olympics:

Scott: "What do you think about the separation of Winter and Summer?"

Aimee: "I think it would be hard to have those two concepts at the same time, Scott."

• Like 2

Wow! Sometimes musical guests seem a little timid but Torquil & Amy jumped right in and were hilarious!

• Like 3

Torquil seemed like a big fan, I like how he slipped in the "take off the headphones and whisper about the other guest" bit.

• Like 2

It's always hard when CBB has a lot of guests because someone is going to end up with less comedic air time. This time it was Claudia, which I agree is a bummer because I love her appearances. But according to my ears everyone was having a good time and being funny, so I am a happy camper. Plus Claudia had so many great little moments, my favorite of which was what seemed like genuine irritation that Torquil misidentified the SATC ladies' various career paths. And both Torquil and Amy seemed game for whatever was being thrown at them, which makes them C+ guests in my book.

• Like 3

2/2 stars for this ep.

I've always enjoyed Claudia's appearances, but she really came out swingin' on this ep and I might have liked her here even better than the famous Toni Macaroni ep. Neil Campbell can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned, and Stars sounded great. I like the CBB mmmusical eps almost as much as I like the I4H mmmusical eps. It really is a testament to Scott's skills as host, which really are as sharp as they've ever been - he's super funny, but also smoothly ties things together and keeps them from getting too out of hand.

• Like 1

Very late to the game but I need to tell you all:

HOLLYWOOD HANDBOOK IS THE BEST PODCAST ON THIS NETWORK

Blasphemy I know but fuck me it's incredible.

ALSO, anyone else find that Torquil sounded like Brendon Small?

• Like 1

I'm a ginormous Stars/Amy Millan-as-a-solo-artist fan, so seeing any Amy disses here gets to me because I'm a loser. Torq's a huge nerd live (GIANT. I can't even put it into words for those unfamiliar with the band), but I love him, too, and am grateful he didn't go into a political rant*. That said, I felt they both meshed pretty damn well with CBB. For fuck's sake, if I were unfamiliar with this podcast -- which I assume they, and most musical guests, are -- I can't imagine doing a better job.

In sum: Lay off or I'll track you down and gently punch you because I'm very weak.

*Unless he did and my auditory system automatically shut down.

• Like 1

Here's my take on musicians on the show: improv is seductive but hard. A funny anecdote is your best friend.*

Regarding those ads, I'm curious about Hollywood Handbook but I don't want to commit to another podcast on a whim without knowing if it's good. Do any HH fans here have some insight on that front? Is it nice? Funny? Other adjectives you'd use? Do those adjectives apply to the hosts as well?

*Rule invalid for 'Weirdo' Al Yankovic

I've only gotten into HH over the last month, and I'm kicking myself for not listening earlier. If you want to get sold on the show, I loved the very 1st episode, but I have some favorites:

I'd suggest the Michael Showalter episode, in which Sean and Hayes claim to have been involved in making The Godfather, and go step-by-step over audio from a scene in which Marlon Brando was difficult to work with.

The Brian Huskey episode is great. They read lines from Brian's upcoming movie "Teen Pope.".

Shelby Ferro's episode consists of them trying to be "hip" to fit in with her because she's so young, and failing miserably.

There's a very early episode where they fire Engineer Brett for sneezing. I wish I could remember which one, but maybe another listener can help me out there.

Grace Helbig teaching them how to operate a laptop and use Youtube.

Adam Pally just gets fake angry and refuses to go along with their shtick.

• Like 1

I've been going through Mr.Show after hearing about it for so long and I just finished the episode "This Guy's Taint." Hilarious and I don't think I can listen to Scott the same way ever again.

I've been going through Mr.Show after hearing about it for so long and I just finished the episode "This Guy's Taint." Hilarious and I don't think I can listen to Scott the same way ever again.

One of my favorite bits forever, theres so many little bonus laughs in the editing and such. For example, when Scotty Auks as "Theo Brixton" is in the kitchen gabbing with Cross and the rest of the crowd, but he's also in the other room screaming to Gary for more popcorn. My favorite moment is one of the Odenkirk freeze frames. When they freeze it on a flash going off while he smokes a cig I lose it, and when they freeze a shot of him to show his character's name while he's mid-exhale. Pure comedy

Claudia's Carrie impression was so good. And it was so hilarious how she was offended by Stars saying it was better.

The sex and the city movie was on TV the other day as I entered the room, and I heard Carrie narrate, "I couldn't help but wonder..." And I was immediately taken back to this episode. BEST OF 2015 CANDIDATE