🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
agata

Episode 202 — Pickup Artist

mHQPV70.png

I retract my earlier statements. This guy seems cool.

• Like 18

It's bad enough that this dude is an awful creep, but dense as a rock as well (not getting anybody's jokes)? I'm glad I'm not the only one to find him reprehensible.

This was a strange episode, but I was happy to hear David take the nonsense on head on, and Tig & Kyle taking the piss. It's hilarious how idiotic PUA techniques and ideas sound when put under comic scrutiny.

• Like 1

I will always appreciate David thanks to this ep. And oh my gosh Ross is somehow behaving even more disgustingly on Twitter right now.

• Like 2

Let's just get this out there: Who in the fuck booked this dude? But then again, he might have been booked to make him look like a complete and total piece of shit for the world to see. I live in SE Asia, and this guy encapsulates every skeezy sexpat I come across and want to rip in two.

I brought up the page to see who the guest was, and I see a guy who looks like Tom Magliozzi (RIP) of Car Talk only to find out he sounds like the a real life version of Tom Cruise from Magnolia, which he's apparently proud of. I never thought I'd hear a guest I didn't like as much as the kid from the Teenagers episode, but you all blew my apparently very low expectations away with this guy. I wish someone would have told Dalton Wilcox this guy was a vampire, so he could have shown up at the Earwolf studio and taken care of business.

However, this got to showcase what I love about David - he's no nonsense and no bullshit when he needs to be, and I really appreciate that in spite of the unnecessary shit he takes from people on here sometimes.

The good news though is that if this shitbag can make it on as a guest, I'll surely have a chance when I submit my idea and am in LA at some point, right? I'm going to go cleanse my palate with some Professor Blastoff-ing with Mary Holland on Moons and Molly Ringwald.

• Like 4

Just went down an internet rabbit hole googling this guy, and apparently he is a character*

http://uproxx.com/mo...er-in-magnolia/

*a character who he says he created to present his "valid" message he still believes in.

The mental gymnastics this guy must go through to suppress his cognitive dissonance... I bet he and Chris Gore would be instant bros.

• Like 2

• Considers himself a 'pick-up artist'
  • Doesn't feel comfortable calling women 'broads', but is fine with 'pieces of ass'
  • Is humourless
  • Loves saying words, then following them up with 'that was a joke'/'that's from my comedy routine'
  • Loves to talk over people
  • Loves to stop people from making a point, so he can say 'Listen'
  • Doesn't really listen

Who would have guessed this could have gone poorly.

• Like 2

On my second listening. I can hear them mocking him more and more, true. I feel good, me feel good.

Now if they can replicate this with a Westboro member, we have a Pulitzer in our hands.

• Like 2

"A woman's first response isn't always her real answer."

Whoa. ANNNNNNDDDDD stopping the podcast.

I'm not defending this guy, I don't do that pick up stuff, and I didn't even listen to the episode... But that statement is true, in a vacuum. Every person's first response isn't always that they think later. They have a right to change their minds when more information becomes available to them. I've met plenty of people I disliked at first and was ultimately fine with, and vice versa.

For example, woman like Belle might be freaked out by the Beast in Beauty and the Beast, but falls in love with him. Her first response wasn't what she thought by the end.

However, applying that statement to something scummy and date rapey in a 'no means yes' kind of way is a whole other can of worms. (And I'm sure that's what this guy meant.)

I just feel like that sentence alone isn't that bad, it's the intent with which it's said that determines that.

• Like 1

I forgot to ask, did anyone notice how there wasn't a sponsor in the middle of this episode? Was that on purpose? Do you think they realized in editing that no company probably wanted to be associated with this asshat? Or maybe they just assumed a lot of folks would have turned it off by that point and didn't want to do that to a sponsor?

• Like 3

The moment he mentioned Neuro-Linguistic Programming I knew exactly what kind of person we have here..

Remember the 90s craze of feigning self-actualisation through running over burning coals on bare feet..? You can thank NLP for that. And that was just the beginning. You'll have a hard time finding an NLP adept that doesn't have a strong whiff of the huckster or confidence trickster around him or her.

As a general rule - anytime someone uses the word 'programming' outside of IT, be very, very weary.

• Like 2

Wow. I love this comment thread! The ego on this guy (Ross) is astounding. My personal BS meter is triggered by people who communicate using trite saying, acronyms, and slogans. Also by people who can't make a simple point, but constantly allude to some greater knowledge that they have, that they will someday share with you.

"Getting laid" is a pretty sad goal for one's life. I would have asked Ross if he has had any STDs. And how many women he has "conquered" who no longer talk to him.

Sociopath, user, loser. Those words leap to mind.

I wonder if guys like him tend to become hypnotists. That smooth psycho-babble and mastery of vague language to persuade weak-willed folks to do their bidding must come in handy. I dated a girl in college who had a poor self-image. I actually broke up with her because I felt I was taking advantage of her. She participated in a "comedy hypnotism" show and became a regular "stop" on the hypnotists concert circuit. I assume he had a girl in every town that he would "lay" as he traveled the country. What an emotionally fulfilling life.

It was a unique PBO episode. Interesting to hear Tig, Kyle and David talk to someone they so obviously didn't agree with on any level. I'd love to hear them talk about this experience.

Welp, that's been comment.

• Like 4

I just feel like that sentence alone isn't that bad, it's the intent with which it's said that determines that.

But with this guy's context, you have to think it sounds pretty bad, right? If this was a salesperson or a motivational speaker, then that's one thing. When the guy's entire object is to get in with those 'pieces of ass' (respectfully)....then it's a little worrisome.

I mean, why does he even need to worry about this when he's got that crazy strong 'kite' analogy to lead with?

• Like 1

I forgot to ask, did anyone notice how there wasn't a sponsor in the middle of this episode? Was that on purpose? Do you think they realized in editing that no company probably wanted to be associated with this asshat? Or maybe they just assumed a lot of folks would have turned it off by that point and didn't want to do that to a sponsor?

Yeah, that had to be on purpose. They could not have any of these sponsors ads coming up right after the insanity that had been said right before that break.

• Like 1

Funny that Tig seemed so tangibly angered by James Adomian doing a character, but was pretty calm and reasonable dealing with this actual weirdo. Also crazy that someone can make a living based on personal interaction when they themselves seem to struggle with it to such a great extent.

Funny that Tig seemed so tangibly angered by James Adomian doing a character, but was pretty calm and reasonable dealing with this actual weirdo. Also crazy that someone can make a living based on personal interaction when they themselves seem to struggle with it to such a great extent.

When was the Adomian thing?

Was she really upset with Adomian's character? You could hear her laugh several times during the parts with Adomian I thought. I think coming across as annoyed and grossed out was just part of the bit.

• Like 3

totally agree with you @kopello, I get the impression it would take a superhuman effort to actually offend Tig

• Like 4