🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
agata

Episode 202 — Pickup Artist

Hmm, maybe I read the vibe of that show wrong. In any case, as much as this guy should never be on Earwolf again, I do kind of want him to have to interact with Adomian's Leykis at some point.

• Like 2

I thought about turning this off so many times but I really love Tiny Calves, Beach Poop, and The Wig, so I guess I'll take what I can get.

Davids "do you get slapped much?" was so satisfying to hear. This guy was the absolute worst.

Man, this was hands down the most uncomfortable episode to listen to; this guy's a real piece of work. I am, however, heartened by everyone's responses on this thread unanimously agreeing that this sort of thing is way uncool. Thanks blastronauts, for restoring my faith in humanity :)

• Like 4

I didn't think Tig, Kyle and David could impress me more as highly evolved human beings than they already had, but that was before I got to witness them interacting with someone who most would find vile. I have a ways to go until I am that mature.

This episode and thread did help me to crystallize one thing though in terms of wooing a sweety: must be a Blastronaught in good standing.

• Like 1

This was upsetting. Misogyny at its worst. He's human garbage.

(As I posted this I forgot what my banner was)

I still stand by my comment.

• Like 4

Let's be fair, though - it's pretty impressive that this guy can seriously promise men he can get them laid within a certain frame of time, without spewing forth gallons and gallons of vomit.

• Like 1

For example, woman like Belle might be freaked out by the Beast in Beauty and the Beast, but falls in love with him. Her first response wasn't what she thought by the end.

Ummmmmm you know Belle is a fictional character, right? This is not a great example. Of course anyone can change their mind about anything (I used to not like eating mushrooms and now I do), that sentence picked out alone is a truism, but I'm not sure why that matters.

Anyway, I am glad everyone thinks Ross Jeffries is a scrote.

• Like 2

I love that Tig stopped him from making his plug at the end of the podcast. Sure, he'd already plugged his incredibly attractive sounding website (Seduction.com, ladies. Get on that.) But she flat out stopped him...even though he did it eventually anyway.

I notice that he very rarely referred to his techniques as genuine methods of interest. He's not interested in teaching, or talking about, having real conversations with people. Just the illusion of interest so you can get what you want out of someone.

So glad Tig, Kyle and Dave gave this guy the gears. They were incredibly polite to someone who did not deserve such courtesy.

• Like 3

But with this guy's context, you have to think it sounds pretty bad, right? If this was a salesperson or a motivational speaker, then that's one thing. When the guy's entire object is to get in with those 'pieces of ass' (respectfully)....then it's a little worrisome.

I mean, why does he even need to worry about this when he's got that crazy strong 'kite' analogy to lead with?

I said that it was probably bad in context, and that I didn't listen to the episode, or agree with pick up stuff. I just feel like there's nothing wrong with that statement in a vacuum, and your post made it seem like that sentence was your breaking point.

I was just trying to clarify.

Ummmmmm you know Belle is a fictional character, right? This is not a great example. Of course anyone can change their mind about anything (I used to not like eating mushrooms and now I do), that sentence picked out alone is a truism, but I'm not sure why that matters.

Anyway, I am glad everyone thinks Ross Jeffries is a scrote.

A universal fairy tale, wherein a character changes her mind in regard to her feelings about another character is a bad example? Okay. That's why I also said that I've changed my mind about people.

Luke's post mattered to me because that sentence was singled out as evidence of the guy's scumminess... But there's nothing wrong with that quote if you don't know the context. Everyone is allowed to change their minds and first impressions aren't everything.

All I'm saying is that context is as important as content... Even though nobody is arguing otherwise. I just posted that for myself.

I said that it was probably bad in context, and that I didn't listen to the episode, or agree with pick up stuff. I just feel like there's nothing wrong with that statement in a vacuum, and your post made it seem like that sentence was your breaking point.

I think that we can agree that a statement like that made in the context of both a podcast interview, and this guy's whole shtick, is the polar opposite of something existing "in a vacuum". That statement was as good a last straw as any, because there's no doubt what was behind him saying it, at that time.

• Like 1

Guys, guys, he's really just interested in "healing". Keep that in mind. And if the person he's healing just happens to be a "piece of ass" that needs to "get laid", that's just icing on the poop-cake.

• Like 6

Guys, guys, he's really just interested in "healing". Keep that in mind. And if the person he's healing just happens to be a "piece of ass" that needs to "get laid", that's just icing on the poop-cake.

And if they're in a relationship already? Well that's not a problem because if they see someone get assaulted in the street all you need to say is, "Love hurts" or whatever nonsense he said happened.

• Like 2

That's not funny healing is not something to joke about.

• Like 11

Beauty and the Beast is an apt analogy. Belle is imprisoned against her will and psychologically tormented until she gives in... that's a real Big Balls move right there.

• Like 2

Trip report: This guy is actually way less offensive than I thought, but he's still not very funny. I like that they took a risk with the guest, though.

I did really appreciate that he pointed out how a lot of the mainstream pick-up artists are just using the language of abuse, I thought that was pretty perceptive. Then again, that was after he called himself the "Prince of Pick-Up" or something like that

e: He's still a big ol' sexist creep though, just to be clear. But I don't mind that he was on the podcast at all, even if it made for some uncomfortable listening.

• Like 1

I wrote a story about pick-up artists a while ago and one interesting thing I found is that there's actually a lot of first- and second-generation immigrant males among the groups, at least in Canada. When they come from patriarchal societies or places without the same level of sexual freedom, dating in the Western world can be a real mystery. They're attracted to the PUA movement because it not only provides them with an alleged method to "get" women, it can also reinforce their ingrained cultural norms about male dominance.

Which is totally horrible because literally the best pick-up technique is "Be interesting and be interested in other people."

• Like 2

Yes, this guy was a total bag of trash, but Tig, Kyle, and David clearly knew that and handled everything perfectly. Thought it was cute that he would love to have a life partner, but seems to have no insight that no person of substance would want to settle down with someone who wrote a book called, "How to Get the Women You Desire into Bed."

Let's get this episode to 100 comments! Come on guys, we're almost there!

• Like 2

Love the community feedback on this one. This was one of the more entertaining episodes on a completely different level. The guest was so persistent on making sure he wasn't perceived incorrectly. I think I understand him perfectly now....humorless, anti-social, user of women (and men...$$$).

Very proud of the entire blastoff crew for lining the entire episode with heavy sarcasm and not biting on the "that is not funny" or "I'm being serious" b.s.

Was it just me or did anyone else find it EXTREMELY SHOCKING that he just blew over the whole Tig/Kyle Bus Bang Session?

He was the prototypical closeted homophobe too.....he kept reiterating "I don't care what people do with their own sexuality...blah blah blah". When Tig kept adding her "and women" bit, he just had to restate his stance...like that stance is something to wear as a badge of honor. Reminds me of when people want to take credit for not being a cheater or asshole. YA THAT IS THE NORM, GOOD FOR YOU.

• Like 1

He was the prototypical closeted homophobe too.....he kept reiterating "I don't care what people do with their own sexuality...blah blah blah". When Tig kept adding her "and women" bit, he just had to restate his stance...like that stance is something to wear as a badge of honor. Reminds me of when people want to take credit for not being a cheater or asshole. YA THAT IS THE NORM, GOOD FOR YOU.

It makes perfect sense, though, when you look into what he's selling. So he's not homophobic in the usual way - he just can't get his head around a situation in which a (gay) male PUA will be victimising another man, or where a (lesbian) woman would exploit another woman; and, of course, there's no room in his philosophy for. a situation where a woman would victimise a man.

I thought this episode was very entertaining from a comedic and cult-of-personality perspective.

• Like 1

I think the best part of the episode was this guy begging female listeners to e-mail him if they like the sound of his voice. Because he's alone. What a piece of shit this guy is.

I know that people would argue that PB shouldn't give a forum for human trash to voice their opinions - but by allowing him to do so, he hangs himself with his own rope, and his entire platform is discredited. An episode like this doesn't give weight to the things this guy says - it deflates them completely, renders them powerless, and may actually work towards further recognition that this is all disgusting and awful. He's always going to find people to sell his shit to, but the more opportunities we have to hear intelligent, thoughtful people like Kyle, David and Tig patently reject the nonsense he puts out there, I think the better. This guy is a joke, and he was the joke of this episode. Having him on here doesn't serve to benefit his agenda in any way, shape or form.

• Like 5

So glad that everyone had the same reaction to this guest that I did. Props to David for trying to call this guy out on his shit. Too bad the guy wouldn't let him get a full point across without interrupting. And he kept stepping on jokes. Terrible, terrible guest.

• Like 1