85 replies to this topic

#81 Ryan Sz

Technically a scientist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 08:00 AM

View PostFister Roboto, on 09 February 2018 - 07:55 AM, said:

I think I hit the max number of videos it will let me embed, but there are a few others I can think of:
  • "Happy Together" in The Great Gatsby
  • "Wild World" in Mad Max (granted...good movie, but still part of this fucking horrible trend)
  • "Every Breath You Take" in The Woods
  • "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" in Dracula Untold
  • "Crazy in Love" in Fifty Shades of Gray
  • "Black Hole Sun" in A Walk Among the Tombstones
  • "I've Got No Strings" in Avengers: Age of Ultron
  • "California Dreamin'" in San Andreas
  • "Sweet Child O' Mine in The Last House on the Left
The most recent movie one, though, which really bums me out because I'm looking forward to this movie so much because Ava is a gift from the gods, is "Sweet Dreams" in the trailers for A Wrinkle in Time.

See, sometimes I think those actually work pretty good for how the trailer is presented, like in the case of San Andreas and surprisingly Fifty Shades, but maybe because the latter was a complete shitshow of a movie. Another I've noticed but haven't seen a lot of correlation to the film/show being bad is mixing the song with the action hits, where the notes of the song match the beats of the movement onscreen, if I'm describing that well. Examples are the recent Jumanji with "Welcome to the Jungle" and The Punisher with "One," both which did a good job of matching beats to what was being shown, though both examples ended up being pretty good in terms of quality.

Another trope I've been noticing with how many bad Prime movies I've been watching is bad or generic ska and rock music. If it isn't No Doubt, Sublime, or The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, then it just sounds god awful and uses too much trumpet. And whenever it's bad rock it usually comes off as either a bad attempt at Alice In Chains or Soundgarden.
2018 DLM Challenge: 219 movies (189 new) https://letterboxd.c...vies-challenge/
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"Everyone is a fucking idiot in this movie!" - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#82 grudlian.

Debbie Downer Award Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:00 AM

View PostRyan Sz, on 09 April 2018 - 08:00 AM, said:

See, sometimes I think those actually work pretty good for how the trailer is presented, like in the case of San Andreas and surprisingly Fifty Shades, but maybe because the latter was a complete shitshow of a movie. Another I've noticed but haven't seen a lot of correlation to the film/show being bad is mixing the song with the action hits, where the notes of the song match the beats of the movement onscreen, if I'm describing that well.

Just an FYI. The technique you're describing is called Mickey Mousing.

#83 Ryan Sz

Technically a scientist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:43 AM

Thanks.
2018 DLM Challenge: 219 movies (189 new) https://letterboxd.c...vies-challenge/
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"Everyone is a fucking idiot in this movie!" - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#84 Rancorous_Witch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:09 PM

My bad movie list
-when the costume/set/cinematography appear to be from one era, and it is not a period piece
-when the movie begins with more than 2 minutes of narration/exposition.
-x5 when there is a scene after this that is followed by another 2 minutes of more of narration/exposition
-when it has singing more than twice, but is not set as/pitched as a musical

#85 CaptainAmazing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 11:04 AM

View PostSmigg., on 09 February 2018 - 01:32 AM, said:

In fact, to carry on the trailer talk, I fucking hate it when movie trailers use songs that aren't in the movie itself.

Almost the only thing I remember about watching “The Big Green” (a rare 0% on Rotten Tomatoes, so probably a good HDTGM candidate once we get some space between it and “Ladybugs”), is that it didn’t have this cool “Kick it Out” song from the trailer.

Fun side story: I accidentally erased too much of your post in the quoted part and had to shake my iPhone like an idiot about 20 times to make the first sentence complete, because the undo function made it come back at a rate of one word or space per shake.

#86 Eddie Miller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 05:06 PM

If a character in the movie is so famous that people constantly say something like 'You're THE Pluto Nash'? This seems to be an ego thing for the star.