🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 109 - FACE OFF: LIVE!

...Is it possible that the whole archer family suffer from face blindness? Perhaps the facial waterfall was a way to recognize each other?

I am face blind. I will take this under advisement to recognise friends and loved ones out on the street, in the future.

Paul and June better start doing that vertical face wipe move on their kid ASAP.

Posted this before listening to the podcast... Face Waterfall is the perfect description.

Could the "face waterfall" have been to check for anyone who has switched faces to catch him and bring him to justice? He is a criminal mastermind who lives in a world where face switching is possible. Perhaps it is his version of checking for a police wire that an informant might wear. "Is that really a real face? I better check."

• Like 1

I watched this movie, and had the same question/concern for, pretty much, the entire movie. I figured this would be discussed during the episode, but nobody brought it up. Why was Castor Troy trying to kill Sean Archer in the first place? This wasn't addressed in the movie either, which is weird. The movie would have you believe that Castor became Archer's main focus after he killed his son, so why was Castor after him before that? Also, isn't Castor supposed to be an expert at killing people? He isn't shooting from an insane distance, he's nonchalant enough to to be drinking a milkshake (presumably) while he's watching Archer on the carousel, and he sees the fucking son! Now, how on Earth did he actually end up shooting that kid? He saw that the kid was on the other side of Archer! What the hell, Castor Troy, terrorist for hire/evil genius/owner & avid user of guns?

I really feel like Travolta did a much better job of acting like Cage, as opposed to Cage trying to act like Travolta. The Cage never stopped being The Cage. I mean, Sean Archer would never makes a face in the mirror like Cage did.

• Like 1

This movie is full of insanity and a good chunk of it is because of Nic Cage, but god damn the craziest thing is Travolta's face touching or "face waterfall". Out of all of them, the worst is when he does it to his daughter and you see his hand make her bottom lip flick. That alone might be the craziest part from the whole movie for me, and that's really saying something. I can't believe Paul said that was added by Travolta... Fucking creep! To think that's a reasonable thing for a human to do to another human means Travolta is definitely an alien AND a robot, a robot alien.

• Like 4

Incredibly disappointed no one brought up Scheer/Mantzoukas as their ideal pair for this movie. I think both of them would've killed either role.

• Like 2

The best part of this movie for me was Nic Cage's sexy-as-all-get-out head-banging dance movez.

[media='']

[/media]

Okay, so there's Castor Troy, dressed as a priest and arming one of the biggest bombs in the world (which is then concealed behind two huge doors in one of the building's support columns) in an area with a fair number of people milling around, and nobody notices?

Also, for the girlfriend of one of the world's most notorious terrorists-for-hire, Gina Gershon's character has one of the most conspicuous and heavily glass-paneled hideouts in the world (or did it belong to here love-brother...?)

Finally, wouldn't Archer and Troy smell different from each other? And wouldn't Joan Allen-Archer, at the very least, notice that her husband is giving off a different scent than before (olfactory sense being the strongest of the five senses which is also significantly linked to one's memory)?

• Like 1

So Gina Gershon's not really doing much with her face at the end of the movie. Might have been a nice upgrade for Joan Allen. Maybe soften the horror of an abduction by an emotionally disturbed family for a little kid.

Ugh watching it right now on Netflix and all the face waterfalls are truly, truly upsetting.

• Like 2

in Greek mythology Castor and Pollux were twin brothers (Gemini in Roman mythology). one was mortal and one was half god. they were also the brothers of Helen of Troy. pretty clever screenwriters! maybe you should've spent less time proving you read the Illiad and more time thinking of something better than "throat microchip"

I'll take this one better. Castor and Pollux are stars in the constellation Gemini. The (Sean) Archer is another name for Sagittarius. Gemini and Sagittarius are diametrically opposed in the sky and on astrological charts.

• Like 2

This is somewhat unrelated but FYI, Jason seems to be the spring break party DJ for a very shirtless Zac Efron in this movie (currently shooting).

http://www.socialite...irty-grandpa-28

good spot .. checked imdb .. his characters name is "spring break wally"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1860213/

• THE CLOSE UP OF THE DAUGHTER'S MAKEUP, Y'ALL! She hides her face and then turns around and BOOM goth makeup galore! I expected them both to start seriously screaming like this was some horror movie.

one of my fav moments from the whole film. i burst out laughing at this moment

kyfqq.gif

Video Clip

• Like 6

I've been working on a Nic Cage Face/Off Remix video for some time now, it's unfortunate I couldn't get it finished when this podcast dropped, should be out soon, hopefully, I'm going to do the best I can to perfect it. It'll have just about every off-the-wall piece of dialogue you can think of.

For the omissions department: how did the fact that anyone in the opening plane chase scene there is a very obvious shot of a guy with a WIRE attached to his back. Predictably he is shot by Cage with a shotgun and flies into the air. Bad form editor, bad form.

Why doesn't anyone in the movie question Archer's sudden and miraculous ability to disarm a disarm-able bomb? Even if it didn't raise any flags, wouldn't the fellas in the bomb squad be interested in how he did it?

And yes, like I assume most of you were as well, of course I was frustrated by the sensationalist, lame-stream media who reported that he disarmed the bomb with one second to spare, when the the movie clearly showed he had a full two seconds until it would blow.

(But seriously, that is some pretty irresponsible journalism there... I don't mind a reporter saying when a terrorist attack gets thwarted; what I definitely don't want to hear is that the difference between my being a pile of smoldering, plague ridden goo or spending another night mainlining cookie dough ice cream as I watch the latest episode of Fresh of the Boat [Tuesdays on ABC] came down to one fucking second!)

• Like 2

Correction(?): "face waterfall" is not what Urban Dictionary calls it. Who knew?

I just submitted it, hopefully it'll show up there soon

• Like 2

Omissions:

I really enjoyed that they gave the prisoners a jumbo-tron to watch nature scenes while in prison. Pollux Troy also apparently appreciated the highly erotic salmon spawning footage they played. Later after Castor Troy diffuses the bomb the prison cuts to CNN to so that Troy can taunt Archer with "interception, now our side has the ball, sorry". That's kind of weird. Why would they cut to live news updates?

Also during the shoot out where they play "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" why does Adam run to the center of the room? I know he's a just kid but if there was an insane gunfight going around me the one place I'm not going to run is to the center of room and stand there catatonic. To top it off a cop shoots at that stupid kid. "Hey cop!, WTF?! You just shot at a kid."

One last note about the prison. When the zoom out and show the prison it just looks like a regular off shore oil rig. There's no way they could fit and entire prison (even a small one) on that thing. Unless the prison was completely under water and we can see it. Which seems like a lot of trouble to go to just to make a secret prison.

• Like 1

one of my fav moments from the whole film. i burst out laughing at this moment

For me it was this magic moment.

6gd2d5.jpg

that mustache! I don't want to look like a creap if someone sees me so I'd better place this fake mustashe on so I don't look out of place here.

it's all foreshadowing of events to come.

The Secret Boot Prison brought up a lot of questions. They say that Castor no longer exists and this is a secret prison that doesn't exist. Yet there are like 300 prisoners in there. Are we to believe that 300+ American Citizens could disappear to secret jail and no one asks questions? No family members say, "hey remember uncle john... he was arrested... and then disapeared. WTF?"

Well, as with any movie of this type, it involves a lot of willing suspension of Habeas Corpus.

;)

Here's an omission (or at least I think that's what this is. First time, guys. My fault.)

Y'all talked about how frequently Travolta - the Sean Archer character, whether Travolta or Cage, really - "face waterfalls" people. This is for sure a thing. He's face waterfalling everybody. Except himself, ever. To me, what was maybe the weirdest scene in a weird fucking movie was the part where Travolta has just put Cage's face... on and leans into a stucco wall to itch his face (he is shackled) and his partner/one of the only people who knows he has had this operation asks him what's the matter. Cage as Travolta says his face itches, and so his partner itches it for him. It's just odd. There's no other mention of these new faces being itchy, really, and this just seems like another opportunity for someone to get his face touched.

post-105376-0-28275500-1430597769_thumb.png

OMISSION:

During the scene in which Travolta (as Cage) is about to have his brain fried in the prison, we can see a cabinet/box with the inGEN logo on it. inGEN being the genetics company that brought dinosaurs back to life in Jurassic Park!!

FfuXHkH.png

Does this mean Face/Off exists in the same cinematic universe as Jurassic Park? And what does this mean about the possibility of genetically-recreated dinosaurs that can switch faces???

• Like 8