🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 6 - Dracula's Bedroom

Paul F. Tompkins welcomes ye back to Spontaneanation! This week he is joined by special guest Maria Thayer of Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Eagleheart! They chat about where Maria was when she realized God was a wholly implausible lie, finding out about same sex relationships in art school, and why she believes in magic. Paul is then joined by his pals from his show No, You Shut Up!, improvisers Drew Massey, Colleen Smith and Victor Yerrid, to improvise a story set in Dracula’s Bedroom. As always, the one and only Eban Schletter scores it all on piano. You won’t want to miss the terrible truth revealed by Dracula to his son!

I was wondering when Yerd Nerp, Star Schlessinger, and Hot Dog would be on!!! Hashtag Awesome!

...no... YOU shut up!!!

• Like 2

Honestly Earwolf, I don't know how Mr. Tompkins does it. The Comedy Bang Bang 6th anniversary podcast is over 140 minutes and this is over 70 minutes of improve comedy. I know the recording and release schedules for Earwolf or all podcasts in general are not exactly chronological, but didn't he also record a new Dead Authors this week? How many jokes can one human generate in a seven day period?

Oh yeah, and he also does a fucking TV show. Is he a comedy pod person?

• Like 7

P.S. PFT also has a snazzier mustache and is a better dresser than most humans around. Hell, I can barely put on my underwear without causing some sort of sartorial disaster... and I don't tell jokes! There HAS to be at least three of him!

• Like 3

Oh, PFT, growing up Catholic as well....yes, I feel you.

That Eban is a genius! Anyone else catch the Airplane! theme when they mentioned the word?

• Like 2

This was fang-tastic!

• Like 1

Dave Foley rubbing his greasy hands together like "oh man you know what question would really fuck shit up...where were you when you found out GOD was BULLSHIT!!"

• Like 10

I tried to not imagine Tim being played by Hotdog. Tried and failed.

• Like 3

I definitely think my enjoyment of the sketch was effected by thinking Tim's character was a Hotdog the whole time.

• Like 1

Maria Thayer's laugh reminds me of an evil rich lady from a soap opera. She seems nice, though.

• Like 2

Please tell me I wasn't the only one who said aloud, "Win Ren Stein's Money" when Renfield was called Renstein.

1) Spontaneanation is for learning as well as laughing: I had never heard the Charles-Kuralt-was-a-bigamist story and had fun reading the Salon article from 15+ years ago.

2) "Dick Cheney?" was the thing that finally broke my ability to laugh in relative silence whilst listening on the train this afternoon. How delightful to get to know all the non-PFT talent from NYSU!

Wow, Colleen Smith destroys. Get her to every other podcast immediately.

• Like 7

Dave Foley rubbing his greasy hands together like "oh man you know what question would really fuck shit up...where were you when you found out GOD was BULLSHIT!!"

As soon as PFT said; "...I bet the giggling will stop tout suite." an image of Dave Foley with an evil grin popped into my head.

• Like 1

Maria Thayer'a feigned laughter is a bane upon mine ears.

• Like 1

So funny when Colleen comes in with her ghetto voice.

You mean her Squirrel voice?

• Like 1

Colleen's choices were great.

Good episode. I really enjoyed hearing these people that I'd never heard do improv before.

P.S. More Janet Varney please!

• Like 2

Okay, so this show has become a ritual for me. I've found that I get nothing out of the show if I'm not like really really listening, unlike almost all other shows. I lose the thread easily, you know?. So on the nicest day of the week, I grab a beer, and I grab my favorite CBB glass (available in the Earwolf store!) and I go out on the deck and sit and listen. Today, it was gorgeous. The trees were blooming, the weather was wonderful, and I had a nice Sierra Montan- er, Nevada. And I'll be damned if this wasn't the best episode of this show yet. I had no idea the other folks behind No, You Shut Up had these kinds of improv chops, and I want to hear from all of them again, together or otherwise. Paul was at the top of his game as always, and even though I say it in every thread, I'll say it again: Eban is the bee's knees, man. He really is the best. I had a really rough day at work, and this really, really made me like the world again.

I wish Scott had been there to put a stop to some of the shoddy math in this episode, though. I mean, really? 3 is the root of 6? 6 times 3 is 666? 8 and 7 make 13? Come on!

• Like 2

P.S. More Janet Varney please!

Agreed. I'm also waiting for Lauren Lapkus to be on the show. She and Paul play off each other so well.

Sign in to follow this