🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
agata

Episode 206 — Micro-budget Filmmaking

Kyle explains what a tea ceremony is and David describes what he dislikes about Los Angeles. Then, filmmaker Robbie Pickering joins the gang to talk about the challenges of making a film with a tight budget -- from script writing, film festivals, advertising, and so much more. Finally, Kyle closes out the show with a mother meditation and a couple body raps.

For more information about the art show David mentioned, click here.

Rewards for Blastin' M'Lats Kickstarter backers:

$500 - The Pec Deck workout video

$1000 - The In-depth Lats workout video

$1500 - How not to work out legs video

$2000 - Behind the scenes of Creamin' M'Delts (pre-Blastin M'Lats) video

$10000 - 1-on-1workout session with director, actor, star, producer, film attendee Kyle Dunnigan)

$20000 - Be an extra in the film (Warning: if you have strong leg muscles, you must wear pants or a dress or both)

• Like 2

Kyle's old timey crooning is oh so precious.

and his "backwards" rapping at the end had me dying.

Having lived in LA briefly, I was 100% behind David's 8 reasons to hate it.

Having lived in LA briefly, I was 100% behind David's 8 reasons to hate it.

I definitely understood his first grievance 100% despite not having spent a lot of time in LA, so I don't know why Tig and Kyle acted like he was speaking another language.

• Like 3

I want to see a complete list of the 22 D's. I think not knowing them is what's been holding me back.

• Like 1

The part with david and his eight reasons made me so tense haha i was like he's being clear come on tig and kyle haha great ep!

Just wanted to say great ep and Kyle's body Rap on Schumer had me dying!

The exact etymology is not certain, however it is largely theorized that 'fit as a fiddle' refers to how a violin fits snuggly under the player's chin.

I've found other resources that suggest it then became a natural replacement for 'fit for purpose' because of its alliteration.

It is agreed upon that 'fit as a fiddle' was not originally purposed to describe well being or health.

I used to hate on people who hate Los Angeles. I used to miss it when I left.

But that seems like another lifetime since I left.

I miss the museums, restaurants and the ocean. But … years went by that I was never able to get to the ocean! It took 2 hours to drive 2 exits to Whole Foods on Coldwater, park two blocks away and get a parking ticket after spending all my money on food I already ate and the food I'll never eat.

(LA is not a place to build Time Management skills.)

Yes, cities in the Midwest (for example) may know all the details and goings on in Hollywood or in magazines. But that's because the entertainment industry is just entertainment to most of those people. It's fun. It isn't their livelihood.

David Cross does shoehorn in his love of NYC in his take on LA - but I think it still has merit.

Google: Youtube David Cross Making it In LA

I could dissect it several ways, however the short answer for me is that it wasn't a good fit.

I worked with people who "made it" in varying degrees.

I also worked with people who lost it - big time.

I eventually realized what I'd have to do and who I'd have to become to maybe get to where I wanted to be - and I lost interest.

I'm finding now - removed from LA - that I am getting back in touch with the things that interest me. It may never be on the scale of Hollywood, but I am enjoying the journey instead of feeling disgust and depression woven into layers of inner dialouge.

• Like 1

I definitely understood his first grievance 100% despite not having spent a lot of time in LA, so I don't know why Tig and Kyle acted like he was speaking another language.

I thought David was being perfectly reasonable, too.

Bodyrapping still makes me laugh like a drain, it never gets old (".. from my bo-ho-dy.."). The backwards rapping is exceptional.

I'm surprised Washington, DC hasn't popped up yet in the discussion of worst cities. As much as I don't like some places, I feel like nothing will ever touch my disdain for that place. If it weren't for Dischord Records, I think an argument could be made for just burning it all to the ground.

This episode was really good to listen to though. I have zero interest in making it in Hollywood, but I know a few folks who are, including one guy who's making and writing short films currently. I feel like the advice from Pickering is applicable across the board though - stop waiting for someone to tell you or give you the okay and just do what you're set on doing.

Sign in to follow this