🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

HOWL - NEW iOS App

Real excited for the coming weeks to listen to all the shows promoting this new Howl app that I can't use. Why launch the app/site/subscription plan with no Android support? I've listened since Indie 103 CDR days and then on my Zune (i 'won' it at a company party... shut up). I bought all the live shows when they came out. But because I have an android I'm out of luck. And before you tell me to listen on the website, I drive for a living and can't stream things in East Jesus Nowhere. I'm going to subscribe as soon as you get the Android app but it is just kinda shitty.

• Like 1

yeah I would love to try this new service but I will be wasting my trial if I use it before there's an android app so please hurry up

• Like 1

Hey guys, I'm a longtime user of Downcast for the iPhone (and listener to scores of Earwolf/Wolfpop podcasts) but since I was already a WTF premium user, I got to use the Howl Premium version, so I downloaded the app.

What a disappointment! I don't know where the files I download go to! It actually seems like the files delete when I close the app, so I have to redownload everything, EVERY TIME. It's a hassle to sort of navigate through my favorites and try to see what's downloaded and what isn't. I want to use this app (while keeping my other podcasts in good old Downcast), but it's really not worth the money without some basic features!

If I may give you some suggestions:

1) Please set up a clear section with the "downloaded but unplayed" episodes.

2) Please let the users control via settings whether to keep the already played episodes. Right now they're deleted automatically.

3) Please don't let the files be deleted when the app is closed!

Thanks!

• Like 1

Is there a way to turn off deleted played episodes...the whole reason I download rather than stream certain eps is to hoarde them for repeated joy

• Like 2

These are glitches I've run into on the Howl.fm site.

No fast forward capability

No fine volume control

Episode numbers are inacurate* (Blacklist table reads is in the hundreds)

Randomly crashes and forces me to either start the episode over or move on

Shows guests that aren't in the episode

I've been listening to Comedy Bang! Bang! since Comedy Death Ray Radio as well as many other podcasts that are now staples on Earwolf. I would gladly pay $5 a month for the literally hundreds of hours of entertainment they've given me over the years. I just wish I could download all the extra content available on Howl to my iTunes. I do not now nor do I ever plan on owning an iPhone. I'd pay $5 for the new SuperEgo content alone. So I'm SuperBummed I'm missing out. :(

In summation, will this extra content and programming ever see the light of day for download on iTunes? Cause if it's smart phone app only, this SuperFan is shit out of luck.

There are only 2 full Superego episodes up. And unfortunately they have perhaps the worst podcasting record of consistently producing content.

While I do like the app so far, I'll echo what Newbie and a few others have said. I been downloading shows on wifi to play later while I'm offline, but everything in my "Downloads" library disappears the next day.

Guys!! I want to give you 5 bucks a month for ad free (yeees) and Howl exclusives because 95% of my listening is Earwolf podcasts and WTF anyways! I'd even give 15 bucks a month for such a privelege! But I'm an Android user and I echo the earlier sentiments about using Howl.fm via mobile browser. App has been out for iPhone over 3 months and no Android app yet? When can we expect it?!

I've been trying to sign up for Howl for the last few days but cannot get my free premium trial started. Keep getting this message after I enter my details.

http://imgur.com/zSACOOg

Putting aside other frustrations with the Howl change, it's weird that the app was released without being functional. Frustrating, would love to hear the new mini series but am unable to start my premium account as the website wont save my card details.

Put me in the frustrated group as well. Nothing stays downloaded and random crashes. I also don't like that it doesn't continue playing after I get a phone call.

It's weird this was released - seems like a beta version.

I'm thinking of canceling and starting back up once things are fixed.

ATTENTION: iTunes is not accepting our coupon codes.. if you want to use a host promo code for the 30 day trial you have to sign up on Howl.fm first and not inside the app.

Very sorry about this, we would have announced it earlier but realized it too late.

And to anyone having issues, I NEED you to email me at support@howl.fm I can't do much from the forums other than answer general questions, if you have an issue with your account PLEASE send me an email at that address so I can help you

Hiya, I'm not having account issues but I am having issues with the app - it crashes a lot, forgets my favorites, deletes my downloads, etc. Also it buffers a lot more when streaming than Downcast ever did, which doesn't make a lot of sense. I hope things improve so I can use it more!

UPDATE ANNOUNCEMENT!! There is a new update now available in the app store. This update should help with crashes, and fix the disappearing download issue entirely. You can also now toggle in settings whether or not you want your downloads to delete when you've finished listening.

As always, send me an email at support@howl.fm if you have any questions or need any help with anything. If you run across any errors or possible bugs please let me know at that email as well so we can get started on fixing it asap. :)

The app looks great, and works much better than Apple's notoriously buggy native Podcasts app, but I want to echo two suggestions from further up in the thread:

- My favorites are never saved; I need to re-favorite podcasts every time I open the app. It doesn't make a difference if the favorites are added through the app or the web version. After a day or so they will just disappear.

- It would be really helpful to have a way to quickly access the list of episodes I've downloaded, instead of needing to scroll through all episodes of all podcasts.

ANDROID USERS!! YOUR DAY HAS COME!

The Android version of Howl is now available on Google Play!

Download episodes of brand new Howl mini series, great comedy albums, live specials and so much more straight to your Android device.Make sure to sign up on Howl.fm if you have a coupon code, the Google Play store will not accept our coupons. But once you have an account, you can login on the app with the same info.

Now that we have an Android app, the archives will be coming down from iTunes and everywhere else and going into Howl in the next couple of days.

I thank you for your patience and truly hope you enjoy all that Howl has to offer. As always, if you have any questions or need any help with your app, shoot me an email at Support@Howl.fm

• Like 1

Thanks for putting out the android app! however I have a couple Complaints:

No Notification tray options: so to see what is playing I have to open the app.

No lock screen controls: I have to unlock my phone fire up the app and see what is playing.

Playback lag when using my Bluetooth headphones.(may be on my end)

So far that is what i have noticed that is kinda a deal breaker so far. The app looks pretty nice but it is missing core functionality that many people are used to when listening to podcasts and this is not really going to win them over anytime soon.

Pros:

Good Content

Slick interface

Not that Laggy

starts playing fast

Thanks for finally bringing the app out, I think it will be amazing once it gets a chance to be polished up (especially with it taking less time to push updates than IOS)

Hey thisdudesweird, thanks for the feedback. Everything you mentioned is already in the works. Except the bluetooth thing which I haven't heard yet and I'll report it right now. And what you said here...

(especially with it taking less time to push updates than IOS)

is the best part of the Android app. Once we get these fixes done we can push them out right away so you won't have to wait as long as us Apple people who need the updates approved (it takes forevverrrrr)

I understand the app isn't perfect at the moment, but we wanted you guys to be able to get in on it now and we can fix steadily as we go instead of you waiting another 6 months. Thanks for your patience and I hope you are enjoying lots of good Howl content

I'm loving the Android version but I have a few quibbles.

- Audio doesn't play uninterrupted 100% of the time. There are small breaks in playback, even in downloaded episodes.

- When pausing a podcast, Howl doesn't always remember where I was, and when I try to resume, it'll play from the beginning instead of where I stopped.

- The aforementioned lack of control options (lock screen, notification tray).

All in all, I'm just happy to be able to listen to Howl Premium now.

It's ok apart from all the aforementioned complaints. The pausing and remembering where I was thing is vital though - soundcloud app will always remember. Also wasn't Howl supposed to be ad-free? or did I imagine that? at the moment it's still a lot easier just to use the soundcloud app for non-premium CBB, HH eps, I'm afraid.

I'm loving the Android version but I have a few quibbles.

- Audio doesn't play uninterrupted 100% of the time. There are small breaks in playback, even in downloaded episodes.

- When pausing a podcast, Howl doesn't always remember where I was, and when I try to resume, it'll play from the beginning instead of where I stopped.

- The aforementioned lack of control options (lock screen, notification tray).

All in all, I'm just happy to be able to listen to Howl Premium now.

I agree with all of these. Not remembering where I was when I stop/turn off is really lame.

Also....what's up with the ads? I signed up for Howl Premium, downloaded the app, signed in, and when I tried to listen to very old (meaning definitely 6 months older) episodes of How Did This Get Made and Comedy Bang Bang the first things I hear are ads? Are those going to be replaced with the ad-free versions at some point?

I'll join in thanking you for the Android app. I really like that the pictures for each podcast are accessible in-app (e.g. cast pics for I Was There Too, childhood pics for You Know Me).

Here's my wishlist for app functionality.

- Save stop location to resume podcast later

- Allow screen rotation, particularly for tablets

- Playback controls in the notification bar and/or lockscreen

- Ability to create a playlist or queue

- Sync favorites across account

Thanks!

• Like 1

I have the Howl app for iPhone and am a premium subscriber. My only complaint - seems like the Howl app is the last place that new episodes get released. New podcast eps seem to show up on the iphone podcasts app a good 3 hours before they're available on the howl app. So basically I'm not using Howl for anything other than listening to old episodes.

Hugs and Kisses,

SteveH

• Like 1

is anyone else having problems with the new iOS update (2.1.1)? it loads at the start-up page for about 20 seconds and then crashes... I just want to make sure I'm not the only person that's having issues.

• Like 1

is anyone else having problems with the new iOS update (2.1.1)? it loads at the start-up page for about 20 seconds and then crashes... I just want to make sure I'm not the only person that's having issues.

Yup, I'm having the same problem on iOS.

• Like 1