🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

05/05/15 - LIVE @ UCB SUNSET: Someone's Gotta Help Me Dig

Horatio and Chad take the show on the road once again, the road being down the street on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood. Peter Murrieta returns to the show and we're joined by Fran Gillespie who tries to explain to us exactly why we are celebrating Cinco De Mayo. Friend of the show, Joseph Nunez joins us on stage to do shots of tequila with the audience, but not before Horatio reveals his latest crusade: "Apatow's got Cosby, I'm bringing down Shatner!", Horatio also humbly shares a story about how he helped a crippled Iranian man walk again.

"...repeal Pet Store versus State" made me let out an audible laugh in the cube farm.

the mics didn't seem to pick up much sound coming from the audience, I hope they were laughing.

#BringDownShatner

• Like 1

What the fuck is guac water? Seriously I need to know because I am horrified and google isn't telling me anything

• Like 2

Happy Hooray Show Wednesday Kidz!

Yes, UCB Sunset is wonky. We've addressed that issue on episode 7 "Jes Suis UCB" and elsewhere. If you have never been there, there is what I refer to as a giant moat between the stage and the audience. It's a newish venue and everyone has kind of figured that out at this point, and I trust it will be addressed. Also, the positioning of the audience mic(s) was probably not ideal, but I don't know what the solution is in that space other than setting up 4-8 audience mics to get a better sound.

I am pretty proud of the mix on this show in spite of all of that. The recording I was given was a single stereo file with the stage panned hard left and the audience panned hard right, which I then converted to 2 mono channels and mixed. Finding the right balance of bleed from the audience, natural echo and balancing the performers was actually a lot more difficult than I anticipated.

I assure you the audience was laughing, although it is very hard to hear the laughs even when you are on stage. Keep in mind that a lot of times the audience is laughing you are not hearing it because Horatio or someone else is laughing directly into a hot mic.

Inside baseball for this episode: All of the needledrops you hear were added in post. There was no music in the house during the live recording.

• Like 3

What the fuck is guac water? Seriously I need to know because I am horrified and google isn't telling me anything

Be grateful you have never had to endure shitty guacamole.

Yes, UCB Sunset is wonky. We've addressed that issue on episode 7 "Jes Suis UCB" and elsewhere. If you have never been there, there is what I refer to as a giant moat between the stage and the audience. It's a newish venue and everyone has kind of figured that out at this point, and I trust it will be addressed. Also, the positioning of the audience mic(s) was probably not ideal, but I don't know what the solution is in that space other than setting up 4-8 audience mics to get a better sound.

I am pretty proud of the mix on this show in spite of all of that. The recording I was given was a single stereo file with the stage panned hard left and the audience panned hard right, which I then converted to 2 mono channels and mixed. Finding the right balance of bleed from the audience, natural echo and balancing the performers was actually a lot more difficult than I anticipated.

I assure you the audience was laughing, although it is very hard to hear the laughs even when you are on stage. Keep in mind that a lot of times the audience is laughing you are not hearing it because Horatio or someone else is laughing directly into a hot mic.

Inside baseball for this episode: All of the needledrops you hear were added in post. There was no music in the house during the live recording.

oh no i've heard complaints from other podcasts about the venue as well, not trying to criticize the production/mixing at all.

In fact i find all the production elements to the show really great alternatives to the conventional format. (i.e. Hector's Dispensary)

• Like 1

I didn't take it as criticism. You wouldn't be posting here if you weren't a fan! I'm saying I agree with you.

• Like 1

In fact i find all the production elements to the show really great alternatives to the conventional format. (i.e. Hector's Dispensary)

I felt bad booting Hector's theme song (Low Rider) for this show, but how do you have a Latino talking about a white '92 chrysler with red velvet interior and NOT bump Low Rider?!

• Like 3

Fantastic episode, such a great pod cast series.

I really enjoy the post production on all the episodes, feels like an NPR show (in a good way).

Some seriously tight cuts between those commercials Chad. I find bumping the EQ between 8k and 16k helps you hear the audience a lot better.

I'll never forget where I was the weekend "The Watch" bombed.

Yeah you guys need to stick a cheap mic in the crowd as a stop gap measure. It's brutal.

I was thinking this is the WORST, coldest audience in the world, because you can hear just enough of them to give the allusion that they can be picked up well on audio, but that this great show is absolutely dying in front of them. But of course, that's not what happened at all. You can tell by what the performers are doing that they are getting something back from the audience, we just can't hear it.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this