🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 8 - A Superyacht

Paul F. Tompkins welcomes all travelers to the shores of Spontaneanation! This week he is joined by special guest Elizabeth Reaser of The Twilight Saga and Mad Men! They chat about what Elizabeth likes the most about herself, the compassionate noises she makes to her ultimate rescue dog, and Wonder Woman. Paul is then joined by improvisers Craig Cackowski, Jessica Chaffin and Chris Tallman, to improvise a story set on a Superyacht in the Mediterranean-Italian Riviera. As always, the brilliant Eban Schletter scores it all on piano. Set sail with a complete cast of exotic characters as they embark on a Honeymoon cruise they’ll never forget!

Paul: You are, of course, my Thrilling Adventure Hour colleague and also on the Drunk History program. At this point—it is May 18th—are you done shooting?

Craig: At this point, I am in Australia or New Zealand with you!

Paul: Wait a minute. I'm there too?

Craig: Yes, we're both there!

Paul: How can we—whaaat?

Craig: We're right in front of Hobbiton!

[incredulous laughter]

At almost the exact moment this episode went live, Paul posted this on Instagram. (And also this.)

• Like 8

At almost the exact moment this episode went live, Paul posted this on Instagram. (And also this.)

Omg there aren't words for how much I love Paul's traveling look

• Like 8

"Do you want this knife?"

"That's not a knife..."

"...{oh no}.."

Such wonders this episode contains.

• Like 13

I saw those pics last night and am listening to the ep right now. I totally went "OMG what tight scheduling!"

Also, sidenote: 'And also this' I read as the Tenacious D lyric/melody that Paul sometimes sings for 'That's also true!'

• Like 4

Also, sidenote: 'And also this' I read as the Tenacious D lyric/melody that Paul sometimes sings for 'That's also true!'

The singing certain patterns as certain songs bit was wonderful, mostly because I've done that as long as I can remember. One of my most common ones is if it's two two-syllable words or two one-syllable words followed by a two-syllable word, I will often find myself unconsciously singing them to "Cat Scratch Fever."

These include:

Flip-flop weather

Choctaw Nation

Hot steel girder (this one came up recently; a stranger was telling me a story that involved him sitting on a hot steel girder; he did not find it amusing when I sang the words back to him)

• Like 8

As a fan of iconic Italian video game characters, comic book vigilantes, and golems, this episode hit all my sweet spots. Thanks, people!

• Like 4

Mr. Tompkins signing off with "I like you guys" just fills me with joy. Hell, even his ads are hilarious.

Speaking of ads....

62311684.jpg

• Like 6

The singing certain patterns as certain songs bit was wonderful, mostly because I've done that as long as I can remember.

What's even weirder is that I wrote that comment before I had gotten to the part of the episode where they talk about replacing words in melodies, and I didn't realize the weird kismet of it all until your comment!

EDIT: Nevermind! Upon relistening, I realized Paul talks about singing songs before the Hobbit stuff. For some reason I got that shuffled around.

• Like 2

"Bruce Wayne."

"WHAAAT?!"

The ads on this show are better than the actual content of most podcasts. And of course the rest is great too.

Also, JUICE BAR GOLEM!

• Like 9

Also, JUICE BAR GOLEM!

"Juice Bar Golem" fits the pattern I mentioned above, and as such, I read it in the same tune.

This episode was so good the whole way through. Even the part talking about Parkay with Jessica Chaffin had me laughing so hard that I was honestly a little bummed when they started the improv part (for, like, half a second until the scene got started).

And I know someone says it every week, but goddamn do I love Eban. Sometimes, I get so focused on what he's doing and trying to figure out what song I think I just heard him work in that I have to rewind the podcast because I realized I haven't listened to the scene in a good 5 minutes.

• Like 3

I have a new goal in life: move to Los Angeles, achieve some measure of fame as an actor or comedian, infiltrate Paul F. Tompkins' inner circle, and earn a spot as a guest on Spontaneanation. Then I will make Paul ask the next week's guest when they first became aware of the band U2.

A man can dream.

• Like 6

"Do you want this knife?"

"That's not a knife..."

"...{oh no}.."

Such wonders this episode contains.

This instantly became my favorite PFT break. I've heard him laugh harder but never verbalize anything during a break.

• Like 10

Also, JUICE BAR GOLEM!

Man, I hope PFT get Todd Glass on here, either as a interview guest or improviser

The singing certain patterns as certain songs bit was wonderful, mostly because I've done that as long as I can remember. One of my most common ones is if it's two two-syllable words or two one-syllable words followed by a two-syllable word, I will often find myself unconsciously singing them to "Cat Scratch Fever."

These include:

Flip-flop weather

Choctaw Nation

Hot steel girder (this one came up recently; a stranger was telling me a story that involved him sitting on a hot steel girder; he did not find it amusing when I sang the words back to him)

My tic is to the rhythm of "Zoot Suit Riot" and fits all of these as well.

Hot steel GIRder! (girder!)

Also, I really love Craig Cackowski. He needs to be on more Earwolf podcasts. More I4H appearances would be great.

• Like 5

What a shocking Twist Ending!

• Like 3

My tic is to the rhythm of "Zoot Suit Riot" and fits all of these as well.

Hot steel GIRder! (girder!)

Also, I really love Craig Cackowski. He needs to be on more Earwolf podcasts. More I4H appearances would be great.

Aaaaand thanks for this. I found myself humming it in the shower this morning.

• Like 1

Weeks ago I caught myself repeating a woman in a commercial saying "crystal geyser alpine spring water" in the style of "technicality no down boo over?"... Now I can't not do it whenever the same commercial comes on, usually just mentally, but occasionally out loud at times when I'm not overly concerned about being viewed as a strange person.

• Like 3