🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 127 — The Magic Word is Bitchass

Exploring a cave outskirts of a blue giant city, the gang inside found treasure and spiders grabbed their faces. Now huddled together they continue through the darkness to see what else they can find deep within the cave.

• Like 1

Holy shit, Blaine saying "it's a game, dude" is the funniest thing I've heard on here in a long time. Perfectly timed, and true. No since in playing it too safe. That's why everyone loves Jerry.

• Like 1

Looking forward to that carpet getting a lot more use. I've never played Advanced D & D (just 3rd and 4th edition) so is that a AD&D tool or did Blaine bring in one from another version and made adjustments (or made it up wholecloth). I'm liking this game alright, but I miss our characters getting a chance to interact with other characters who aren't dicks.

Rug of Welcome, suckazzz.

You guys remember how many times you tried to summon the roc to get a ride off this shitty continent?

Well, you have your own ride now. :)

Among the other functions of the rug of welcome, it functions as a 6-foot-by-9-foot carpet of flying (DMG p.163):

• It can carry up to four people (i.e. the entire party).
  • It has a flying speed of 24. (As a comparison, a human's walking speed is 12, and it's almost as good as a roc's flying speed of 30.) That means it moves up to 240 yards every round (1 minute), 1.36 miles every turn (10 minutes), and 8.18 miles per hour.
  • Unlike a roc, it doesn't get tired. Most creatures can move up to twice their speed in miles per day without exerting themselves too much (PHB p.120). If you're willing to push your mount (DMG p.123), you can double this distance but it has to make a save vs. death or it must rest for one full day. You can even triple this distance, but it takes a -3 penalty to its save and it dies on a failure. Thus, a roc can easily fly 60 miles per day, 120 miles if you risk exhausting it, or 180 miles if you risk killing it.
  • In comparison, your rug of welcome can fly continuously for 24 hours if you want, potentially covering 196 miles every day. You don't even necessarily have to stop to camp every night because you could sleep on it. Of course, 6-foot-by-9-foot isn't very big, so you'd definitely have to take turns sleeping unless you want to sleep sitting up. :)

In other words, you guys can go where ever the fuck you want from now on.

Oh, and Nausica's wings of flying (DMG p.181) are a good for tactical use, but they don't last long enough to use for overland flight. In fact, you can only use them once per day, so save them for when you really need them. When you use the command word to start flying, you get to pick the speed you want, and this determines the maximum time they can be used:

• 2 turns (i.e. 20 minutes = 20 combat rounds) at speed 32 (320 yards per round outdoors, 320 feet per round indoors)
  • 3 turns at speed 25
  • 4 turns at speed 18
  • 6 turns at speed 15
  • 8 turns at speed 12 (i.e. the same as your normal walking speed)

Now, be careful -- using wings of flying can wear you out and leave you exhausted:

• If you fly up to 1 turn (10 minutes = 10 combat rounds), you suffer no ill effects upon landing.
  • If you fly more than 1 turn but less than the maximum time for your speed (see above), you can't do anything more strenuous than ordinary walking for the next hour.
  • If you fly the maximum time allowed, you must stop and rest (sitting, sleeping, etc.) for one full hour.

So use them wisely. :)

• Like 2

(Tons of useful information and tips)

That's assuming Blaine let's them use as they're written in the books. Some things seem to be "only if it fits my narrative," recently.

That's assuming Blaine let's them use as they're written in the books. Some things seem to be "only if it fits my narrative," recently.

Wait ... so you're saying Blaine has a narrative?

:: rimshot ::

Thank you, thank you. I'm here all week. :D

p.s. Just messing with you, Blaine. ;)

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this