🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 352 — Scrunchy Face

God damn it what am I supposed to do with these boxes of "Sally has no business sense!" bootleg t-shirts?

• Like 6

If you could hold me close and whisper sweet nothings in my ear, that'd be great.

I would wager he's calling you out because you came on the forums and posted that you didn't like Adomian's character, but had nothing constructive to say. The guys who do characters have the hardest job on the show, and James in particular gets held to a fierce and almost unfair standard. He takes risks and tries out new characters and does fantastic impressions.

If I were to post that I didn't like it, I might say I thought it was funny but maybe he could do a few things different. Not rely as heavy on the statistics (top percentage of the bottom 15% year over year) and maybe have a hamartia or character flaw that emerges later in the show. Then I'm not just posting negativity without something constructive.

Did that laughter from Scott while talking to Swardson sound really genuine to anyone else?

I love James Adomian with all my heart and also with my pee pee.

Edit: Adomian's headshot really weirds me out!

Sounded a lot like marc marone's laughter on the swardson ep of wtf with marc marone.

I would wager he's calling you out because you came on the forums and posted that you didn't like Adomian's character, but had nothing constructive to say. The guys who do characters have the hardest job on the show, and James in particular gets held to a fierce and almost unfair standard. He takes risks and tries out new characters and does fantastic impressions.

If I were to post that I didn't like it, I might say I thought it was funny but maybe he could do a few things different. Not rely as heavy on the statistics (top percentage of the bottom 15% year over year) and maybe have a hamartia or character flaw that emerges later in the show. Then I'm not just posting negativity without something constructive.

I dare say Adomian is one of the most creative, culturally resonate, funny and talented people to have graced my ears. He's probably explored and forgotten more than most people have learned! I would gladly slap a man with a dueling glove over the veracity of his stuff.

• Like 6

Nick really does have too many logos on his shirt. I'm glad Scott pointed this out.

• Like 4

During this episode Scott said that they always recorded in the dark and couldn't see. The "dimness" of the room was also continually mentioned and a match even ignited for illumination.

IS THIS CANON?

In the past, guest's physical features and clothing have been referred to, i.e. Hoho the Naughty Elf's candy cane shaped penis. This makes it hard to believe the room was dark to the point that vision was impaired. Is it possible to canonize the idea of the room being very dark or do previous examples make this impossible?

discuss

Adomian is a wizard.

• Like 2

C+- ep. Adomian's Wario cackles around the midpoint are priceless. Col. Bernie Sanders may not be as inherently comically ripe as say Jesse Ventura but I still enjoyed his numerobabble. Gotta say though he ought to be more cautious about adding cinnamon to things.

• Like 3

What? A guy said he didn't like a character, a second guy says something antagonistic, the guy diffuses it with humor, and then you jump in as though it wasn't understood what the second guy's point was. You even go as far as to say that the first guy could have criticized the character if he was just nicer about it. Yeah, it doesn't get much nicer than saying "That character wasn't really working for me." It's like, save your effort for when someone is straight up calling a host unfunny garbage, like in the Who Charted threads.

What? A guy said he didn't like a character, a second guy says something antagonistic, the guy diffuses it with humor, and then you jump in as though it wasn't understood what the second guy's point was. You even go as far as to say that the first guy could have criticized the character if he was just nicer about it. Yeah, it doesn't get much nicer than saying "That character wasn't really working for me." It's like, save your effort for when someone is straight up calling a host unfunny garbage, like in the Who Charted threads.

Saying "that character wasn't really working for me" is a dead end. If this is a forum for discussion, why not post the reason why? It's not mean to explain yourself.

Saying "that character wasn't really working for me" is a dead end. If this is a forum for discussion, why not post the reason why? It's not mean to explain yourself.

I just think sometimes the more someone goes into why they didn't like something the more likely they are to offend.

But I will say that for me, I found it hard to laugh at the Bernie Sanders character simply because I don't feel his ideas are worthy of being made fun of. He seems like the kind of guy Jon Stewart would champion when I looked him up, so I just didn't really get it. Is there something I don't know about this guy?

I was loving Bernie Sanders. The character itself didn't have any amazing stories, but the voice itself and the way James plays it was killing me. Had just watched him on last week's Getting Doug doing the Sanders voice so it was a nice extension of that.

• Like 2

When I first looked at the episode page I thought it was Billy Eichner in the pic. Then five minutes into the episode Scott is asking Nick if he is "out on the street". Coincidence?

During this episode Scott said that they always recorded in the dark and couldn't see. The "dimness" of the room was also continually mentioned and a match even ignited for illumination.

IS THIS CANON?

In the past, guest's physical features and clothing have been referred to, i.e. Hoho the Naughty Elf's candy cane shaped penis. This makes it hard to believe the room was dark to the point that vision was impaired. Is it possible to canonize the idea of the room being very dark or do previous examples make this impossible?

discuss

no hay banda.

and yet, you hear a band.

• Like 2

I loved the Bernie Sanders character, grepisode

I just think sometimes the more someone goes into why they didn't like something the more likely they are to offend.

But I will say that for me, I found it hard to laugh at the Bernie Sanders character simply because I don't feel his ideas are worthy of being made fun of. He seems like the kind of guy Jon Stewart would champion when I looked him up, so I just didn't really get it. Is there something I don't know about this guy?

James is not making fun of Bernie's ideas at all. I'd say Bernie's politics would align pretty closely with James's. Way more than Jesse Ventura's (although JA and JV may believe in some of the same conspiracy stuff). The only thing he made fun of was the excessive use of numbers.

I thought this was a fantastic new character and the impression was dead on. Love James. Love Bernie. Sanders 2016!

• Like 2

This is exactly why Adomian's characters are literally next level shit, and I feel it's the same reason some don't "get" his stuff. You really don't need to be laugh out loud funny to be comically interesting; that character was part intellectualism, part social commentary, and part parody via the number's gag. Some people find that unrelatable, I find it refreshing! Also at the end of the day all comedy is 100% relative so it sort of depends where you are mentally and culturally.

Speaking of the relativity of comedy I think it's interesting to note that while people give Nick Swardson shit his brand of humour is probably ( I don't have the money or the want to research this ) the ONLY kind that would play cross-culturally; after all what sorts of stuff would get laughs say in Chile? Most likely the story of the crazy lady pooping on someone's doorstep, not the multi-layers of sarcasm or callbacks.

Sorry for the rant Sorry not sorry!

• Like 1

Yikes.

FaceLikeThunder, you're probably right in that I could have been more constructive. I was genuinely bummed though because I love James and was not feeling that character at all. It definitely got better as the episode went on, but in the beginning it felt rough and really took me out of enjoying it.

I felt like the episode improved exponentially when Will Hines came on though. His character allowed for more back and forth.

• Like 1

Holy shit, the reference to Alan Moore's Promethea killed me. I <3 James Adomian.

I was more impressed when he referenced Paul Tsongas! Well done Adomian, well done.

James has such a wide breadth of historical, philosophical, and political knowledge to draw from for his characters it's no surprise that some go over people's heads while others find them absolutely perfect and delightful.

• Like 2

James has such a wide breadth of historical, philosophical, and political knowledge to draw from for his characters it's no surprise that some go over people's heads while others find them absolutely perfect and delightful.

lol okay

I just said that I love James' other characters but I just found this one a little rough. Don't be pretentious. Not liking it =/= not getting it.

• Like 2