🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 189.5 — Ask the UCB: Openings & Music Guests

In this bonus Ask the UCB episode, Matt Besser talks about improv openings and answers questions about the musical guests on the show. Make sure to get the Upright Citizens Brigade television show season 3 now available on DVD, the UCB Comedy Improv Manual, and Dragoon’s new album at dragoongalaxy.bandcamp.com!

• Like 1

Hallelujah The Hills are now one of my favourite bands thanks to the podcast

• Like 3

Look what arrived for me today

002.jpg?t=1433166049

• Like 3

Besser, the new Sun Kil Moon dropped today, it is fucking amazing and dare I say better than Benji. I know that's saying a lot. Here's the review I wrote. http://soundblab.com...niversal-themes

I know he'd be a huge get but it would be amazing to hear the improv Mark Kozelek would inspire.

I love his music, but I don't think I could handle listening to him on a podcast. He is a huge asshole.

As always, Matt Besser extends his generosity to his fans, and gives a free improv lesson. No, life lesson. Isn't truth like music to your ears? Thanks for breaking it down, Matty B!

• Like 2

Excellent, thanks for this. I never made the connection to improv-ing off of what you might call "sad" material being more of a challenge, but I totally see that now, just for the sole fact it's different than any other premise-based opening purely on tone. I think the variety of openings referred to is one of the reasons the show is such a pleasure to listen to.

• Like 1

Matt I know you're a busy guy, but if for some reason you're restraining yourself from releasing more of these, please don't. I love these things; I always feel like they give essential insight into the show.

• Like 6

Hallelujah The Hills are now one of my favourite bands thanks to the podcast

Their guitarist/singer called into the Player's Club episode of NNF this Monday! Jimmy was tweeting for callers during the show and he called in out of the blue. I can't exactly remember, but I'm guessing Jimmy eventually hung up on him (NNF listeners will understand).

It took me a couple minutes to remember where I had heard the name because they like NNF and had sent Jimmy an album, but then I remembered it was on I4H that I gained a healthy respect for their actual music.

• Like 1

Matt I know you're a busy guy, but if for some reason you're restraining yourself from releasing more of these, please don't. I love these things; I always feel like they give essential insight into the show.

Ditto. I really dig these episodes.

I can think of at least two entirely understandable reasons as to why Besser wouldn't want to do this, but—for future Ask the UCB(-style) bonus episodes—I'd really appreciate occasional breakdowns/analyses of scenes. I'm reminded of when... I believe it was Gemberling and Rust who were brought in to discuss how one had denied the other in a scene. It was all in the spirit of fun, but I think it would be amazing for Besser (and maybe 1-2 other folks if he doesn't want to just lecture) to go back and analyze some scenes along similar lines to illustrate how The Game, etc are operating within it. Obviously, Besser wouldn't want to do this too often, but doing it just a few times a year could possibly increase folks' appreciation of the form beyond the immediate (and rich in itself) level of "oh, these folks are playing and creating something very funny and cool and coherent".

(Again, I completely understand if he wouldn't want to do this at all.)

(Also, I feel like I should say that I have bought the UCB Improv Manual. Otherwise this request feels especially greedy.)

• Like 3

don't respond to a post i put up with a review i wrote praising this dude to tell me he's an asshole. do you think you know something about him i don't? your seriously dim view is boring and banal and if you'd bother to read the review you'd see i address short sighted uninformed opinions like yours and call them out in conjunction with sighting Kozelek's own lyrics which are slamming idiotic posts like yours. get a clue.

Oh please, nice try trying to slide your shitty pay-per-click amateur music review in the forums, but nobody bought it. http://soundblab.com/static/about-soundblab the site exists entirely as filler content to spam on social media

Ditto. I really dig these episodes.

I can think of at least two entirely understandable reasons as to why Besser wouldn't want to do this, but—for future Ask the UCB(-style) bonus episodes—I'd really appreciate occasional breakdowns/analyses of scenes. I'm reminded of when... I believe it was Gemberling and Rust who were brought in to discuss how one had denied the other in a scene. It was all in the spirit of fun, but I think it would be amazing for Besser (and maybe 1-2 other folks if he doesn't want to just lecture) to go back and analyze some scenes along similar lines to illustrate how The Game, etc are operating within it. Obviously, Besser wouldn't want to do this too often, but doing it just a few times a year could possibly increase folks' appreciation of the form beyond the immediate (and rich in itself) level of "oh, these folks are playing and creating something very funny and cool and coherent".

(Again, I completely understand if he wouldn't want to do this at all.)

(Also, I feel like I should say that I have bought the UCB Improv Manual. Otherwise this request feels especially greedy.)

SORRY REPLIED TO WRONG POST!!!

• Like 1

I find myself enjoying the "Ask the UCB" episodes no matter the specific content. Getting a better idea of Matt's philosophy regarding improv is always illuminating.

And I'm certain that this has been brought up before but, man oh man, Jason Isbell would be the perfect guest. I have little doubt that Matt has reached out. Isbell's full of sad songs! Improv fodder!

• Like 1

Tyrone and Soup would you guys like to debate this on Case Closed?

• Like 4

Sign in to follow this