🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 11 - The Underwear Department at Macy’s

Paul F. Tompkins welcomes you and yours, including families, back to Spontaneanation! This week Paul’s special guest is singer-songwriter Aimee Mann! They chat about the thing Aimee desires that she is most ashamed of desiring, accepting that other people have opinions of their own, and Aimee’s response to a therapist telling her to talk to her younger self. Paul is then joined by his pals from his show No, You Shut Up!, improvisers Ted Michaels, Michael Oosterom, and Colleen Smith, to improvise a story set at the Underwear Department at Macy’s. As always, the glorious Eban Schletter scores it all on piano!

Goshdarnit Paul you're really letting us canucks have it!

Canadian baby name book: Ian of course. Is that a pun that Ian is at the end of Canadian or is that actually a thing!

haven't listened yet, but more Colleen Smith! oh it's a good day.

• Like 3

Thank god it's Monday.

holy shit Luke, your gonna hit a cool G this week. i'll help by starting a stupid argument with you. okay, here goes.

PFT? more like PTSD!

hmmm, I'll have to work on it.

• Like 1

holy shit Luke, your gonna hit a cool G this week. i'll help by starting a stupid argument with you. okay, here goes.

PFT? more like PTSD!

hmmm, I'll have to work on it.

More like PTSF:PTSD:SUV

• Like 6

Dolores' ad was TOO SAD. I felt legitimately upset for her. I hope Mitch gets out of that coma soon :(

p.s. after re-listening to all the eps this weekend I want someone who makes supercuts to make a supercut of all the things Paul says to almost every guest like...

- You are not on trial here

- SHUT UP FOR A SECOND

- Ignorance of the law...

There are more that my brain is forgetting, but I know I can't be the only one who loves a running gag like this

• Like 9

More like PTSF:PTSD:SUV

I generally avoid saying this, but LOL.

I generally avoid saying this, but LOL.

Your pointing out how close to 1K I am literally made me say, "I have wasted a great deal of my life."

• Like 1

Dolores' ad was TOO SAD. I felt legitimately upset for her. I hope Mitch gets out of that coma soon :(

I can't believe this, but I too have found myself emotionally connected. When it wasn't resolved by the end I actually was upset. DAMN YOU PFT!!! (also, maybe Mad-Men of the world, pay attention to how to get us to pay attention to advertising)

• Like 1

Your pointing out how close to 1K I am literally made me say, "I have wasted a great deal of my life."

I do apologize. No judgement here, clearly.

• Like 1

I do apologize. No judgement here, clearly.

BUT NOW THAT I SEE HOW CLOSE I AM! FUCK IT! CLOUD 9!!!

• Like 1

p.s. after re-listening to all the eps this weekend I want someone who makes supercuts to make a supercut of all the things Paul says to almost every guest like...

- SHUT UP FOR A SECOND

There are more that my brain is forgetting, but I know I can't be the only one who loves a running gag like this

I don't know if he's said it on Spontaneanation yet but I've always loved "You're being willfully obtuse."

• Like 4

haven't listened yet, but more Colleen Smith! oh it's a good day.

she's fantastic, she's the best at coming up with weird specific things that are so funny like the Buzzfeed list vs. video thing.

• Like 2

Oh, hi. :unsure:

- SHUT UP FOR A SECOND

This is my favorite.

Colleen was especially funny here. She is in the small club of people who are genuinely funny and also have a voice that just makes me want to laugh anyway.

• Like 3

I'm sawry Paul, but I don't know what you're talking aboot...

I'm pretty sure you're just Americanizing pinyada, eh. I heard you saying the Canadian pronunciation was wrong and I was like, "Pardon?"

DSCN2633.JPG

EDITED TO ADD: My apologies for my temper, eh. I didn't mean to jump down your throat. It was unbecoming...

• Like 2

Oh, hi. :unsure:

This is my favorite.

Colleen was especially funny here. She is in the small club of people who are genuinely funny and also have a voice that just makes me want to laugh anyway.

You are the 2K1 of our hearts.

btw, guys, I attended Paul's comedy special recording this past Saturday for Crying and Driving. Got to sit in the front row! Paul came out and warmed up the audience before the special, and I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of crowd work/ interaction and whatnot. But just in case he asked if we liked any of his characters, I swear I locked and loaded 'Mitch and Dolores' and repeated it to myself a number of times because I figured it'd be a little bit of a deep cut, it'd be two characters for the price of one, and they're relatively new to Paul's character stable, keeping it fresh.

Sadly, no character questions were asked, although PFT being PFT, there are some great voices sprinkled into all of his bits.

• Like 4

Got to sit in the front row!

Glad to hear it wasn't a waste of time!

• Like 3

PFT always manages to tap into a pet peeve that we share. Blatantly mispronouncing Spanish words/names just kills me. HOW DO SOCCER COMMENTATORS CONSISTENTLY MISPRONOUNCE MIGUEL AND VELASQUEZ? THEY'RE BOTH LIKE TOP 5 MOST COMMON SOCCER PLAYER NAMES!

Loved hearing the No You Shut Up crew; the NYC stuff was particularly great, culminating with swearing to fuhgeddaboutit on the Bible.

I do think the sound-effects-for-scene-transitions is proving to be less of a fun-hindrance and more of a hindrance-hindrance to the improvisers. There's always at least two moments in every podcast where someone's initiation gets butchered/denied because they hit flashforward when they meant to flashback, and the sounds are so similar that you can tell people often have a tough time remembering when the scene is supposed to take place. That can be fun if it's surprising or AHEM spontaneous, but it's more of a bummer if it happens every single time. I wonder if PFT would consider trying an ep where they do the ASSSCAT/Improv4Humans model of just saying "cut-to" or simply jumping to a new scene (which one of the improvisers did in this episode out of instinct). I know on paper it would seemingly take away from the Old-Timey Radio Show vibe the show has, but I think it would be an interesting experiment.

• Like 1

- SHUT UP FOR A SECOND

There was an episode of, I want to say CBB, a couple of years back where it was a huge group and people started talking over each other and you can hear PFT say, sort of off-mic, "Let's all talk at once!" and for some reason that made me laugh so hard.

• Like 3

PFT always manages to tap into a pet peeve that we share. Blatantly mispronouncing Spanish words/names just kills me. HOW DO SOCCER COMMENTATORS CONSISTENTLY MISPRONOUNCE MIGUEL AND VELASQUEZ? THEY'RE BOTH LIKE TOP 5 MOST COMMON SOCCER PLAYER NAMES!

Loved hearing the No You Shut Up crew; the NYC stuff was particularly great, culminating with swearing to fuhgeddaboutit on the Bible.

I do think the sound-effects-for-scene-transitions is proving to be less of a fun-hindrance and more of a hindrance-hindrance to the improvisers. There's always at least two moments in every podcast where someone's initiation gets butchered/denied because they hit flashforward when they meant to flashback, and the sounds are so similar that you can tell people often have a tough time remembering when the scene is supposed to take place. That can be fun if it's surprising or AHEM spontaneous, but it's more of a bummer if it happens every single time. I wonder if PFT would consider trying an ep where they do the ASSSCAT/Improv4Humans model of just saying "cut-to" or simply jumping to a new scene (which one of the improvisers did in this episode out of instinct). I know on paper it would seemingly take away from the Old-Timey Radio Show vibe the show has, but I think it would be an interesting experiment.

I've had these thoughts as well. But I kinda want to see how they're doing with it around ep #75. I feel like this ep is good example of the method of transition train-wrecking things a bit, but then them finding a clever way out and back to tying it together. But I totally get what you're saying and would second the motion for them to try alternatives just to see what happens.