🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
nateslice

The Singing Detective (2003)

Based on a British serial with the same title, Robert Downey Jr. plays a mystery novelist who's hospitalized with severe psoriasis. This reality intertwines with hallucinations about his most popular character and flashbacks to his kinda fucked-up childhood.

I can't exactly call it good or bad; it's just... weird.

I want to like it, based on a cast that includes the aforementioned RDJ, plus Robin Wright-Penn, Jeremy Northam, Katie Holmes, Mel Gibson, Adrien Brody, Carla Gugino, Saul Rubinek, and Alfre Woodard, but it's just so busy trying to be something (I'm not sure what), and it just never quite seems to get there.

Here's what Wikipedia says in the "Reception" portion of its article on the film...

The film scored a 39% "Rotten" rating on Rotten Tomatoes, with the consensus being 'Delightful performance from Robert Downey Jr. can't save The Singing Detective's transition from TV to the big screen.' While some critics, such as Roger Ebert, liked the film, others, like Joe Baltake at the Sacramento Bee, considered it an "interesting failure".

Oh, and as you'd expect of a movie with "Singing" right there in the title, it does have a great soundtrack.

Here's a trailer for it...

I think I'd really like to hear what Paul, Jason and June think of this movie.

Sign in to follow this