🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Hi Paul !

I really enjoy Spontaneanation every week and also really enjoyed attending the live recording at Largo last month ! I would recommend going to a live show to anyone.

My question is ... How different do you find doing the improv scene in a recording studio versus a live Spontaneanation show with an audience ?

Thanks !

In the studio, we can relax a little bit more, which may take us to places we might not have gotten to in front of an audience. We can all see each other the whole time and we're sitting down and the immediate pressure is far less, and it also feels intimate in a really wonderful way that you don't always get in comedy. In front of a crowd, we're not on a tightrope, and there's so much more that one has to monitor because of the audience response, the physical space of the theater, the actual physical act of jumping in, etc. But the rush of being in front of an audience is like nothing else.

Both ways are fun!

• Like 7

I love all of the Earwolf regulars and will probably have on some of those folks as well at some point, but since I'M such an Earwolf regular, I wanted to create my own little company of people that are amazing improvisers but are somewhat outside of the Earwolf stable. But there are so many people I adore playing with from CBB, etc. and I will not be able to resist booking them eventually. But I am really glad to see that people are getting to know and like the folks I'm bringing to this world.

While I also love the Earwolf regulars, I super-appreciate that you've been doing this, and I feel like it's been working well. I had no idea that your compatriots from No, You Shut Up had improv chops, and I was blown away in the absolute best way by the episode you did with those folks. I was an instant fan of all of them. Everyone that you've brought in has been nothing but delightful. I also wasn't too familiar with Chris Tallman, and he's been knocking it out of the park, too.

• Like 8

Nope!

asked and answered. i love it!

• Like 1

Hello Paul very cool of you to do this. I was wondering when you take the breaks during the scenes, how long they were and what is happening during those moments. Newbies 4 life!

The breaks are very brief! Not much is happening other than to make sure everything is going well tech-wise. Sometimes people use the restroom. INFURIATING. The longest break is after the interview, when the interview guest is writing down the location & question for the next episode's guest. We try to keep it moving!

• Like 8

Mr F. Tompkins - would you consider branching out some of the ad break characters when you're on CBB? Mitch and Delores meeting Tiny and Victor would be a dream come true!

• Like 3

The breaks are very brief! Not much is happening other than to make sure everything is going well tech-wise. Sometimes people use the restroom. INFURIATING. The longest break is after the interview, when the interview guest is writing down the location & question for the next episode's guest. We try to keep it moving!

Hmm my very first post was a question PFT answered. It's all downhill from here.

• Like 13

Hi Paul, thank you for everything you do!

Have the episodes been released in the same order that they were recorded in? Can we really look back at the previous week to see who asked the guest interview question?

Because "Where were you when you realized God doesn't exist?" certainly seems like a Dave Foley question to me!

Edit: ...in the same order in which they were recorded.

• Like 6

Hi Paul! Would you ever consider having a guest join in on the improv if he or she was comfortable?

• Like 1

Aloha Mr. Tompjacks, will the live shows be aired on the Podcast? Also, do most Guest stay for the improv? Aloha!

• Like 3

Hi Paul, thank you for everything you do!

Have the episodes been released in the same order that they were recorded in? Can we really look back at the previous week to see who asked the guest interview question?

Because "Where were you when you realized God doesn't exist?" certainly seems like a Dave Foley question to me!

Edit: ...in the same order in which they were recorded.

Yes, they are released in the order in which they are recorded. So that was a TOOOOOTAL Dave Foley question.

• Like 9

Hi Paul! Would you ever consider having a guest join in on the improv if he or she was comfortable?

That has always been the plan, and it finally comes to pass very soon.

• Like 17

If you could add one sound effect to the Spontaneanation arsenal, what would you add?

Also: Have you ever played collaborative storytelling games such as Fiasco or Apocalypse World? I love them, and the way stories are generated in Spontaneation reminds me of playing those games.

Hey, Paul. Love the podcast, as well as everything else you do. Any chance of a Super Ego crossover episode of Spont with the whole crew on at once?

• Like 2

Paul in the course of this Q&A you've gone from a lowly Newbie on the forum, to a Member, and finally to your rightful position of esteem as a Gentleman. How do you plan to celebrate?

I bet I won't entirely regret doing this.

Follow up question - Any regrets?

• Like 3

Hi, Paul.

I don't have a question. Just saying hi. I prefer my posts to have extremely low stakes.

Thanks,

mwn

• Like 6

Even though I'm well aware it's incorrect at this point, when I read the title of this show I still pronounce it "Sponta-nay-uh-nation" in my head. Does this upset you?

Yes, they are released in the order in which they are recorded. So that was a TOOOOOTAL Dave Foley question.

Thanks for answering! Here's another question, if it pleases the Mister:

Others have mentioned the mood lighting and crossovers... how about a little Speakeasy crossover, know what I mean?

If you don't know what I mean, I mean would any drinking be allowed during Spont?

Paul, can you click the like button on the bottom right of this post? It's a big deal on the Hollywood Handbook forums to get a like from important people.

Also, go to the hollywood handbook forums and gawk at the weirdos.

• Like 7

Aloha Mr. Tompjacks, will the live shows be aired on the Podcast? Also, do most Guest stay for the improv? Aloha!

It's about 50-50! Or maybe 49-49, and 2% that stay for most of it, but leave at some point during the improv.

The live shows will absolutely be released as podcasts!

EDITED FOR MATH PURPOSES

• Like 9

You mentioned Bioshock Infinty on Andy's PPP. What games/consoles are P to the F onto the T playing now?

(Say the ones I'm doing)

• Like 1

How different in terms of time and pressure is it to make this podcast, with the Earwolf support staff behind you, compared to going-it-alone as you did with the Tompkast?

What do you feel are the biggest challenges of narrative improv, as opposed to long-form improv you might hear on Improv4Humans? Aside from just remembering a lot more details.

• Like 1

It's about 50-50! Or maybe 49-49, and 1% that stay for most of it, but leave at some point during the improv.

The live shows will absolutely be released as podcasts!

Oh man, I hate to be the math nerd...

• Like 2

The contraptionaire drinks the finest exhasperilla, but is he happy?

• Like 2