391 replies to this topic

#21 souprman

this is real

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:06 PM

View PostPaul F. Tompkins, on 10 June 2015 - 04:03 PM, said:

I love all of the Earwolf regulars and will probably have on some of those folks as well at some point, but since I'M such an Earwolf regular, I wanted to create my own little company of people that are amazing improvisers but are somewhat outside of the Earwolf stable. But there are so many people I adore playing with from CBB, etc. and I will not be able to resist booking them eventually. But I am really glad to see that people are getting to know and like the folks I'm bringing to this world.

great answer!

>EDIT - breaking off a fresh hundo y'all

#22 kindbuddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:08 PM

Hello Paul very cool of you to do this. I was wondering when you take the breaks during the scenes, how long they were and what is happening during those moments. Newbies 4 life!

#23 PiltdownMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:14 PM

Mr. F. Tompkins,

this show has become a ritual for me in the best way. I miss a ton if I don't specifically carve out an hour or two to listen, so I do, usually with a beer out on the deck while I watch the local wildlife. I have to say that it truly is one of the best parts of my week.

Serious question, though; any thoughts on helping the interview portion of the show relate more naturally to the improv portion? Sometimes it seems like the tie-ins go a little out the window once the ball gets rolling on the scene. Is anyone writing anything down in the room while you're having your chat? I feel like if I were there, I'd be jotting a few brief notes just to jog my memory while I'm trying to keep several timelines and a dozen characters straight.

Oh! And before I forget - could you please ask Eban to do a few more Musicorium episodes? I've been waiting since 2013! I love that show! (It's so good to be hearing from him again every week on this show!)

Posted Image

#24 Paul F. Tompkins

Gentleman

• Host
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:37 PM

View PostPiltdownMan, on 10 June 2015 - 04:14 PM, said:

Mr. F. Tompkins,

this show has become a ritual for me in the best way. I miss a ton if I don't specifically carve out an hour or two to listen, so I do, usually with a beer out on the deck while I watch the local wildlife. I have to say that it truly is one of the best parts of my week.

Serious question, though; any thoughts on helping the interview portion of the show relate more naturally to the improv portion? Sometimes it seems like the tie-ins go a little out the window once the ball gets rolling on the scene. Is anyone writing anything down in the room while you're having your chat? I feel like if I were there, I'd be jotting a few brief notes just to jog my memory while I'm trying to keep several timelines and a dozen characters straight.

No one is writing anything down, no. And yeah, the tie-ins evaporate pretty fast, but that doesn't really bother me. Once the story gets going, it takes on a life of its own, especially in the second half. The interview is just there for fodder, not to be slavishly backtracked to. And also to be entertaining in its own right.

#25 Paul F. Tompkins

Gentleman

• Host
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:39 PM

View Postthejoshwhite, on 10 June 2015 - 03:48 PM, said:

I find it very funny that people are always so nervous to discover what their interview question will be. Do you think it's because a lot of the people you've had on the show for the interview portion are not completely comfortable with the podcast medium or is it something else?

I'd imagine the guests fill in some blank in their heads about what the question will be, and it must be something deeply personal or political or whatever. It delights me how anxious people are about it.

#26 Paul F. Tompkins

Gentleman

• Host
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:45 PM

View Postmarshall mellow, on 10 June 2015 - 03:52 PM, said:

Hi Paul !
I really enjoy Spontaneanation every week and also really enjoyed attending the live recording at Largo last month ! I would recommend going to a live show to anyone.

My question is ... How different do you find doing the improv scene in a recording studio versus a live Spontaneanation show with an audience ?

Thanks !

In the studio, we can relax a little bit more, which may take us to places we might not have gotten to in front of an audience. We can all see each other the whole time and we're sitting down and the immediate pressure is far less, and it also feels intimate in a really wonderful way that you don't always get in comedy. In front of a crowd, we're not on a tightrope, and there's so much more that one has to monitor because of the audience response, the physical space of the theater, the actual physical act of jumping in, etc. But the rush of being in front of an audience is like nothing else.

Both ways are fun!

#27 Paul F. Tompkins

Gentleman

• Host
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:46 PM

View Postsouprman, on 10 June 2015 - 03:52 PM, said:

Any plans to mess around with the scene transition method?

Nope!

#28 PiltdownMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:48 PM

View PostPaul F. Tompkins, on 10 June 2015 - 04:03 PM, said:

I love all of the Earwolf regulars and will probably have on some of those folks as well at some point, but since I'M such an Earwolf regular, I wanted to create my own little company of people that are amazing improvisers but are somewhat outside of the Earwolf stable. But there are so many people I adore playing with from CBB, etc. and I will not be able to resist booking them eventually. But I am really glad to see that people are getting to know and like the folks I'm bringing to this world.

While I also love the Earwolf regulars, I super-appreciate that you've been doing this, and I feel like it's been working well. I had no idea that your compatriots from No, You Shut Up had improv chops, and I was blown away in the absolute best way by the episode you did with those folks. I was an instant fan of all of them. Everyone that you've brought in has been nothing but delightful. I also wasn't too familiar with Chris Tallman, and he's been knocking it out of the park, too.

Posted Image

#29 souprman

this is real

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:48 PM

View PostPaul F. Tompkins, on 10 June 2015 - 04:46 PM, said:

Nope!

asked and answered. i love it!

#30 Paul F. Tompkins

Gentleman

• Host
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:49 PM

View Postkindbuddy, on 10 June 2015 - 04:08 PM, said:

Hello Paul very cool of you to do this. I was wondering when you take the breaks during the scenes, how long they were and what is happening during those moments. Newbies 4 life!

The breaks are very brief! Not much is happening other than to make sure everything is going well tech-wise. Sometimes people use the restroom. INFURIATING. The longest break is after the interview, when the interview guest is writing down the location & question for the next episode's guest. We try to keep it moving!

#31 justinmh05

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:50 PM

Mr F. Tompkins - would you consider branching out some of the ad break characters when you're on CBB? Mitch and Delores meeting Tiny and Victor would be a dream come true!

#32 kindbuddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 June 2015 - 05:03 PM

View PostPaul F. Tompkins, on 10 June 2015 - 04:49 PM, said:

The breaks are very brief! Not much is happening other than to make sure everything is going well tech-wise. Sometimes people use the restroom. INFURIATING. The longest break is after the interview, when the interview guest is writing down the location & question for the next episode's guest. We try to keep it moving!

Hmm my very first post was a question PFT answered. It's all downhill from here.

#33 Solipsistic Fibrosis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 10 June 2015 - 05:36 PM

Hi Paul, thank you for everything you do!

Have the episodes been released in the same order that they were recorded in? Can we really look back at the previous week to see who asked the guest interview question?

Because "Where were you when you realized God doesn't exist?" certainly seems like a Dave Foley question to me!

Edit: ...in the same order in which they were recorded.

#34 Duke Silver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 June 2015 - 05:46 PM

Hi Paul! Would you ever consider having a guest join in on the improv if he or she was comfortable?

#35 Frank Pulaski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationKula, Maui, Hawaii

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:03 PM

Aloha Mr. Tompjacks, will the live shows be aired on the Podcast? Also, do most Guest stay for the improv? Aloha!
Frank W. Pulaski III
Director/Cinematographer/Editor/Consultant
Dreamtyme Films Professional Videography on Maui since 1999
http://www.dreamtymefilms.com

#36 Paul F. Tompkins

Gentleman

• Host
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:28 PM

View PostSolipsistic Fibrosis, on 10 June 2015 - 05:36 PM, said:

Hi Paul, thank you for everything you do!

Have the episodes been released in the same order that they were recorded in? Can we really look back at the previous week to see who asked the guest interview question?

Because "Where were you when you realized God doesn't exist?" certainly seems like a Dave Foley question to me!

Edit: ...in the same order in which they were recorded.

Yes, they are released in the order in which they are recorded. So that was a TOOOOOTAL Dave Foley question.

#37 Paul F. Tompkins

Gentleman

• Host
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:29 PM

View PostDuke Silver, on 10 June 2015 - 05:46 PM, said:

Hi Paul! Would you ever consider having a guest join in on the improv if he or she was comfortable?

That has always been the plan, and it finally comes to pass very soon.

#38 JARich86

Earwolf Producer

• Moderators
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:36 PM

If you could add one sound effect to the Spontaneanation arsenal, what would you add?

Also: Have you ever played collaborative storytelling games such as Fiasco or Apocalypse World? I love them, and the way stories are generated in Spontaneation reminds me of playing those games.

#39 TheBlackSpank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:10 PM

Hey, Paul. Love the podcast, as well as everything else you do. Any chance of a Super Ego crossover episode of Spont with the whole crew on at once?

#40 souprman

this is real

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:28 PM

Paul in the course of this Q&A you've gone from a lowly Newbie on the forum, to a Member, and finally to your rightful position of esteem as a Gentleman. How do you plan to celebrate?

View PostPaul F. Tompkins, on 10 June 2015 - 03:20 PM, said:

I bet I won't entirely regret doing this.

Follow up question - Any regrets?