🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
agata

Episode 213 — Identity Pt. 2

Kyle, David, and Tig are back with part 2 of last week's chat on identity. They chat about crafting their identities in the world of comedy, personal fluctuations, and the effect of external pressure.

• Like 3

Never in a million years would I have thought that Kyle held so much hetero white male panic.

If he wants a prideful group that is mostly or totally white male, he should try Congress, being a CEO, President, scientist, celebrity, etc.

• Like 2

Never in a million years would I have thought that Kyle held so much hetero white male panic.

If he wants a prideful group that is mostly or totally white male, he should try Congress, being a CEO, President, scientist, celebrity, etc.

You realize you're doing the exact thing he was describing?

I don't see how him expressing something he's felt qualifies as "hetero white male panic." It's what Maron was talking about with Obama and the n-word, people focus on one thing just so they can have a reaction to it. It's attitudes like yours that don't let actual conversations happen. Kyle is far from this. It was a conversation. Not all conversation needs to be shut down because it doesn't conform directly with your feelings.

• Like 6

Yeah I absolutely get where Kyle's coming from. He said something along the lines of "It doesn't feel super good to be a white man right now". This is totally different from complaining that other groups have it easier or worrying that white people will have their privilege taken away (which is how I'm interpreting "hetero white male panic").

I'm in the software industry which, like comedy, is awash in straight white men. I'm very aware that I had the easiest road to get here, nothing but role models of people who look like me, nobody doubting my intelligence or qualifications. Being aware of that is part of what makes it not feel great. Any event I go to is one more percentage point white male. I'm part of the problem!

• Like 1

Also, didn't Tig say her wedding was going to be in Mississippi? Did she predict the SCOTUS ruling or what! :wub:

So me commenting on it and giving an example "doesn't let the conversation happen"?

He can express the point, but my counterpoint is reactionary, butthurt and a conversation killer?

And both Tig and David agreed anyway; not with my rude joke (still valid, I believe), but with the general idea that it was a hilarious concept.

• Like 1