🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 113 — Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze: LIVE!

Follow up: why did the Shredder choose for their final confrontation a construction site next to a very busy night club with extremely flimsy walls? Or should the question be, why was this nightclub in an incredibly sketchy part of town next to a construction site?

I had such a huge problem with this! The reason the turtles agree to fight at the construction site is to avoid having to fight the weird wolf and turtle thing in Central Park, ("how are they going to avoid all those ... people" - ooh, nice pause for effect, just rewatching this scene to make sure I had this right is painful) but if the location Shredder wants to fight is next to a crowded nightclub they're not avoiding collateral damage at all, so why not wait until central park, especially if their plan is not to fight them at all just turn them back into animals, central park seems like a natural fit for that.

Not to mention April specifically goes to the police and says "I guess you're not the ones who are going to have to handle this" obviously intending to tell the turtles to deal with it, then after getting a message from the foot saying they also want to fight the turtles she begs them not to fight? And the Foot didn't even make her give them the message, as she tells Michelangelo they didn't follow her there because, according the her, "they don't need to" WHAT?! NONE OF THIS MAKES ANY SENSE!

• Like 1

But I thought I'd expand a bit on Jason's question about The Foot and if they were named that because of The Hand in Marvel. Basically, the first TMNT comic was a sort of parody of some of the grittier comics of the early 80s, specifically Frank Miller's Ronin and his run on Daredevil. There are a lot of weird, noir-style monologues poking fun at Miller's writing style (which he would later use in his The Dark Knight Returns and Sin City).

theres been some mentions of daredevil (example above)

anyways, heres a few (flimsy) HDTGM connections:,

as can be seen in the quote above, TMNT was abit of a parody of other works such as Daredevil

and whos making an appearance in the next season of daredevil? .... the punisher

punisher: war zone was directed by friend of the show lexi alexander (btw, lexi is directing an episode of arrow soon)

lexi was part of the live tour for mortal kombat

and speaking of live tours, another friend of the show, micheal ian black played one of the turtles (i think it was raph) on a TMNT promo tour to mexico back in the day (according to the turtles doc, he was one of the team used to promote the tour, but wasnt the turtle in the show)

sorry about that ... i did say they were flimsy connections. i couldve also said michael ian black was on the anaconda episode, and fellow friend of the show, danny trejo, was in anaconda and starred in bad ass (ep. 39).... but i think i should stop.

basically what im saying is, never mind 6 degrees of kevin bacon, HDTGM has taken over

• Like 3

I highly recommend the documentary "Turtle Power: The Definitive History of the TMNT." It really is amazing to see how two guys, Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird, self-published a satire of comics in the 1980s, and now they're millionaires and kids are still playing with Ninja Turtles 30 years later.

Absolutely agree. I brought this up in the minisode thread, and I rewatched the documentary a couple nights ago. I wish they'd have covered a bit more recent stuff, but as it is, they covered most of the really big Turtles explosion from the 80s and 90s.

• Like 3

theres been some mentions of daredevil (example above)

anyways, heres a few (flimsy) HDTGM connections:,

as can be seen in the quote above, TMNT was abit of a parody of other works such as Daredevil

and whos making an appearance in the next season of daredevil? .... the punisher

punisher: war zone was directed by friend of the show lexi alexander (btw, lexi is directing an episode of arrow soon)

lexi was part of the live tour for mortal kombat

and speaking of live tours, another friend of the show, micheal ian black played one of the turtles (i think it was raph) on a TMNT promo tour to mexico back in the day (according to the turtles doc, he was one of the team used to promote the tour, but wasnt the turtle in the show)

sorry about that ... i did say they were flimsy connections. i couldve also said michael ian black was on the anaconda episode, and fellow friend of the show, danny trejo, was in anaconda and starred in bad ass (ep. 39).... but i think i should stop.

basically what im saying is, never mind 6 degrees of kevin bacon, HDTGM has taken over

You're missing a BIG one...

Okay, Punisher is in season 2 of Daredevil, which featured the character Ben Urich in its first season. Ben was played by Vondie Curtis Hall, the director of motherfuckin' GLITTER!

• Like 4

I'm going to have to listen to this episode, like, six times because there's so much to it.

But I thought I'd expand a bit on Jason's question about The Foot and if they were named that because of The Hand in Marvel. Basically, the first TMNT comic was a sort of parody of some of the grittier comics of the early 80s, specifically Frank Miller's Ronin and his run on Daredevil. There are a lot of weird, noir-style monologues poking fun at Miller's writing style (which he would later use in his The Dark Knight Returns and Sin City).

So, yes, The Hand became The Foot. But the other big borrow from Splinter, who is the master that trained his young vigilantes to harness their fighting skills. Just like Stick trained Matt Murdock, who eventually became Daredevil. Stick...Splinter...yeah.

also, The Mutants gang from Dark Knight Returns meet at the city dump too!

• Like 1

I highly recommend the documentary "Turtle Power: The Definitive History of the TMNT." It really is amazing to see how two guys, Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird, self-published a satire of comics in the 1980s, and now they're millionaires and kids are still playing with Ninja Turtles 30 years later.

loved this doc, when they announced this was going to be featured on an episode i watched the doc and rewatched the first movie. loved both. i grew up loving the turtles, they were the only collecting cards i ever got into, i had the full set (i think i sold them for pennies later, big regret now)

one of the best parts of the doc was the disappointment in the voices of everyone when they discussed this movie. "the first film was great, the second one ... ehhh not so much".

and having watched the film again ... i know how they feel.

• Like 1

So did his fellow member of The State, Ben Garant. Here's a clip of the two of them talking about it (it's kind of depressing, though):

• Like 5

Second, when the Foot gets into that laboratory to retrieve the ooze, why the fuck did they go back? They were already gone by the time the turtles get there, and then go back for no reason whatsoever other than showing off – “Hey! Turtles! Look what we’ve got! Now we’ll fight a bit and just disappear in a puff of smoke.”

The main… uh… plot of the movie starts because that TGRI company dropped a known toxic, mutagenic substance in a lake 15 years later (which brings up the question of why isn’t the city littered with teenage mutant ninja fish) and then decided to come clean and properly dispose of it.

Yeah, I totally agree with you and all your points. What bugged me is they go after the ooze after they see the news broadcast all because Splinter says something like, "If the contents of this canister was not unique the city may be in grave danger." It's been fifteen years--and for all that time--these canisters have existed and nothing has happened, but because Splinter is now aware of their existence, the movie wants us to believe that the city is in more danger than it's ever been. That's not how shit works! The movie's inciting incident is entirely predicated on Spliter's questionable grasp of object permanence.

Then, once the Turtles arrive at the laboratory, Donatello reads off a computer screen full of serial numbers that are each labeled "Disposed." Michelangelo comes up to them holding two empty canisters and says something like, "Sorry, dudes. It's all gone." Isn't that the whole point of your mission? Weren't you trying to make sure the stuff was all gone to 'protect the city'? Why are they so disappointed? You're work is done, you dummies. Go home, eat some pizza, and finger your cloacae--or whatever the fuck teenage reptiles do...

• Like 2

Anyone else notice that about 10 minutes in, Donny is doing his best Humphrey Bogart and April appears to spike his coffee with a clear spirit?

I had no idea that asshole kid's name was Keno until now. I thought they were saying Kito the whole time and honestly I don't really care what it was because he was the worst and I hate him.

• Like 2

tumblr_nl6k5iKXTP1qz4yh1o2_540.gif

almost wasn't going to watch this one, so I started watching this stupid movie last night, thinking how did this get picked. then this guy showed up on screen and i just started to smile. now I know why. :)

they love pizza in this movie like they are going to stop making it any day now. in first five mins of the film. it's almost like a sponsored by tony's new york pizza.

• Like 1

I searched 'April O'Neal camel toe' and found nothing of significance. How could that be possible?

• Like 1

here's something i noticed years ago when i rewatching this movie (i liked it as a kid, ok!)

shredder takes the ooze to mutate and become stronger to fight the turtles at the end... but somehow his shredder costume also mutates as well, so we see him as "Super Shredder"

so the question is... how does the ooze mutate Shredder's armour as well?

• Like 3

here's something i noticed years ago when i rewatching this movie (i liked it as a kid, ok!)

shredder takes the ooze to mutate and become stronger to fight the turtles at the end... but somehow his shredder costume also mutates as well, so we see him as "Super Shredder"

so the question is... how does the ooze mutate Shredder's armour as well?

hahaha you beat me to it.

bgtfnb.jpg

• Like 4

I have nothing to correct or omit but I would like to draw attention to the time that the turtles were on "The Oprah Winfrey Show", to promote their album. It's pretty amazing.

I know that the whole thing can't be played on the mini episode but hopefully there's time for this stand out moment. Enjoy.

I'm sorry but the audience was wrong. Cowabunga is originally from Howdy Doody and wasco-opted by both TMNT and Bart Simpson.

• Like 2

There is a thread on the forums about which actor is the patron saint of How Did This Get Made. That is, what talented performer does his or her DAMNED BEST to elevate the level of the movie they're in, whether it be a piece of shit or a masterpiece. Example: Dolly Parton being charming and making "Drinkenstein" into a catchy tune in 'Rhinestone.'

I hereby nominate David Warner for HDTM sainthood. Warner is the star of everything from TRON, various Star Trek productions, voiceover work innumerable video games and cartoons, to the historic 1978 BBC miniseries "Holocaust."

Cowabunga David Warner. Doing the Lord's work:

tmnt29-1361165951.jpg

• Like 9

This was my favorite childhood movie, I'm not exaggerating when I say I've seen it over 100 times

• Like 2

I came to this board looking for 2 things. 1. A picture of April O'Neil's camel toe and 2. a picture of them sweet Nundercover posters. As you can see I was disappointed.

• Like 2

Every time Jason kept saying, "hang on man" I was expecting him to say heynongman but it never happened :(

• Like 5