🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
RyanSz

Rocky IV (1985)

I didn't see a thread for this in the search, but if there is one I apologize.

This movie is batshit crazy 80s. This is basically the film version of how Frank Stallone views the role his music has in shaping the world. From Ivan Drago being basically a Russian version of Hitler's perfect man to Apollo Creed entering a fight dress like a pimp version of Uncle Sam with 500 different nicknames, this movie is excruciatingly laughable. While Rocky V was just out and out bad, this one at least you can laugh at and find odd enjoyment from.

Things like reporters seeing nothing wrong with how Drago looks or fights, basically looking like steroids personified, because the Soviet propagandist says he is clean, because US reporters would so quickly believe what a Soviet said during the Cold War. Then you have Rocky training almost alone in the mountains with Soviet G-Men watching his every move, almost assuredly reporting back to Drago's camp, beating Drago who has a training facility that rivals the hi-tech ones of today. This win of course would effectively end the Cold War obviously.This is all predicated by the fact that Creed is killed by Drago in the ring because Rocky idiotically follows Creed's wish that he not throw in the towel.

Yet the most unbelievable thing about this movie is that for some reason Rocky decides to give Paulie, maybe the most despicable character in movie history, a robot. In one odd seen the robot is seen to have had its role altered a bit to where it now has a female voice and brings Paulie beers. Even odder is the fact that Paulie is eye banging the shit out of this robot, leading me to believe that at some point he's going to try and drunkenly fuck it, at one point saying he was going to get its circuits tied. That's a real robot too, apparently, that was meant to help kids with autism as well as help doctors get a better understanding of the illness, yet when Stallone saw it he decided to add it to his movie and even cut out the scene that showed Paulie altering its circuits to make it female, because it was complaining about how dirty he was and his cigar smoke, in sort of a knock-off Odd Couple. I now almost wish there was a deleted scene where we see a couple doctors lamenting that they couldn't get the one Sico robot available to help their various autistic patients and wondering where it could be, leading to a hard cut of Paulie in bed with it and the robot telling him "that happens to a lot of guys I hear."

paulie-happy-birthday-robot-rocky-iv.jpg

Here's that article on the robot:

http://www.philly.co...ulie-beers.html

• Like 5

I think they should do Rocky V first, since that's just genuinely a terrible move, and Rocky IV has some level of campy charm to it. But you do have a point - Paulie does indeed have a robot.

I didn't see a thread for this in the search, but if there is one I apologize.

This movie is batshit crazy 80s. This is basically the film version of how Frank Stallone views the role his music has in shaping the world. From Ivan Drago being basically a Russian version of Hitler's perfect man to Apollo Creed entering a fight dress like a pimp version of Uncle Sam with 500 different nicknames, this movie is excruciatingly laughable. While Rocky V was just out and out bad, this one at least you can laugh at and find odd enjoyment from....

Why do your points have to be valid? Rocky IV is my favorite of all the Rocky movies. I do have poor taste in movies, in that I get excited about ridiculously over the top and campy movies. This movie has everything!!! James Brown performing Living in America while Apollo Creed is decked out like an American flag shouting "I want you." The fight between Drago and Creed is supposed to be an exhibition and it is probably said one hundred times during the fight because everyone is in shock that they are actually fighting and not hugging it out. Then there's the robot which doesn't add anything to the movie.

Not only is this a great recommendation but would make for a great Live Show. Why do I have to live in a fly over state?!!!

Very true about the exhibition match, but that goes for other exhibitions in the Rockyverse. The fight in 3 with Thunderlips became a gigantic brawl which included managers and people from the crowd and in Rocky Balboa Rocky and the then champion were breaking bones in a match that had coverage and an audience that would rival most huge superfights.

• Like 1

One would think, that in the Rocky Universe, by the time Rocky IV rolls around that there is no such thing as a clean exhibition match.

Ryan Sz, you sold me on this with the robot. "Drink bot, making guys into fat lazy bastard's since 1981." who needs woman!!! LOL

Good God, I can't Remember any of this movie at all, is this the one where he goes to Russia to fight Dolph Lundgren. if so then it's fantastic! that training scene when, the rock gets to Russia and trains in the woods is outstanding. 5 amazon stars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-8hOKNbtxg

Stallone was,so ahead of his time with that beard. btw doesn't that scene feel like it's going to go on forever..

Turns into total gym ad.

• Like 2

The scene where he's driving to Robert Tepper's "No Easy Way Out" is LITERALLY a music video for the entire series just smack dab in the middle of the movie. It's almost like if this were a TV series, that would be the "Previously on Rocky..." part. That said, if this were a perfect world, we'd be celebrating the 30th anniversary of THAT song becoming our national anthem.

• Like 1

The scene where he's driving to Robert Tepper's "No Easy Way Out" is LITERALLY a music video for the entire series just smack dab in the middle of the movie. It's almost like if this were a TV series, that would be the "Previously on Rocky..." part. That said, if this were a perfect world, we'd be celebrating the 30th anniversary of THAT song becoming our national anthem.

The link below is that said scene. I've not mastered Ear Wolf's forums, not sure how to make the video show up without having to go to the youtube page.

• Like 2

The link below is that said scene. I've not mastered Ear Wolf's forums, not sure how to make the video show up without having to go to the youtube page.

You have to delete the "s" in https before copying the link.

• Like 1

hey that robots got a good hand...

2i760wg.jpg

Poor autistic kids.

Maybe we should look into the obvious fact that Ivan Drago actually the hero in the story.

• Like 1

I tear up every time Apollo Creed dies.

You made that poor kid cry this is on you...

28wnwuu.jpg

Is it me or does it look like the robot is giving the Fonzie thumbs up?

I'd like to think that in "Creed", Michael B. Jordan finds the robot in a basement or warehouse or something, re-activates it, gives it the voice of Carl Weathers, and learns valuable life lessons.

• Like 4

I'd like to think that in "Creed", Michael B. Jordan finds the robot in a basement or warehouse or something, re-activates it, gives it the voice of Carl Weathers, and learns valuable life lessons.

Dammit! Now I'm going to expect that to happen and when it doesn't I'm going to be thinking, "This movie is bullshit!"

• Like 2

The soundtrack to this movie is one of the most cheesiest of all movie soundtracks.

You got music by..

Survivor...Why fuck with a good thing?

A post James Brown song. Which is still the best song, BY FAR, on the album. Funk Yeah!

GO WEST... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Robert Tepper's 'No Easy Way Out', montage music 101

John Cafferty & The Beaver Brown Band = Eddie and the Cruisers

Rocky IV is a brilliant idea for a HDTGM. Brilliant! Its got all the elements for a good roasting - Stallone, James Brown musical number, Ivan Drago's wife, the world's silliest training montage, that stupid robot... Man! Set this episode up now: :)

I wish I knew someone named Paul just so that I could post the "Happy birthday Paulie" clip on their facebook page every year.

• Like 3