🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 114 — Runaway

I feel like the way Gene Simmons pronounces 'template' is pretty standard over here in the UK. Then again Gene Simmons isn't British, so fuck that guy.

As a Canadian I definitely thought "this is notably odd..????"

• Like 1

I knew as SOON as that Pegasus came galloping in to jump over the Tri-Star logo, I was in for some 80's bullshit.

Just started watching it.....more to come

Update:

So how did the robot reload with just one arm? I could have sworn I heard more than 6 shots????

Hey it's the kid from Flight of the Navigator! This might be the only good part of the movie so far.

• Like 2

So, wait a minute. Jason wants a sex robot, but he doesn't want it to be humanoid or resemble a human being in any way?

I believe it's a remake of a Swedish TV show Real Humans

It is, and both are great!! The Swedish one might be a bit harder to find, but I'm really enjoying the remake so far

Oh, and Rhea was awesome!!! Wham Bam Pow is a great podcast

at 10 minutes in I had to wonder how MC ever worked again.

all the "robots" seem to be modified (barely) Tonka trucks, overhead projectors, and 1st gen Xerox's.

seriously how is Gene Simmons the best part of this movie?

I'm only 36 mins in guys, more later I'm sure. sorry I haven't caught up on the ep or thread. will do by tonight.

• Like 2

CameronH I think that's your best sig yet

• Like 2

anyone else notice that paul scheer looks like he's got pink eye?

34dpp91.jpg

full image from the main earwolf page..

Junes got that I did it look on her face.

I have to admit... I didn't watch this. I was too preoccupied with the gif war with Cameron lol.

But this episode was so hilarious that I'm thinking I'll go check out if it's on youtube or netflix.

• Like 3

I'd like to imagine that the robot at the beginning was slipped the gun by Simmons in some sort of complicated "Godfather"-style way that involved him getting in and taping the gun to the back of the toilet or something...which of course the robot stumbled with for hours before getting it in its claw.

• Like 5

You can thank Jake Fogelnest for finding this AT&T video.

I wish someone could take the footage from this movie and paste over it the audio from this at&t video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MnQ8EkwXJ0

did at&t pay for this movie to be made? the entire time I watched runaway I could not help but think of this ad.

ever want to send a robot out to kill someone, well now you can. and AT&T is going to make that happen.

• Like 2

I wish someone could take the footage from this movie and paste over it the audio from this at&t video..

did at&t pay for this movie to be made?

ever want to send a robot out to kill someone, well now you can. and AT&T is going to make that happen.

A while back I saw someone point out how accurate these predictions are except that almost none of these technological advances have been brought to us by AT&T.

• Like 5

Of course we know that the cop that has a fear of heights is going to be put in a situation where he has to overcome that, and that the only thing stupider than that happening would be that NOT happening. For once, I'd like to see something in a movie where we DON'T necessarily know how it's going to pan out. I mean, like, if we found out that the main character failed to save the lives of some hostages or something because of his deadly peanut allergy, I'd think "Sure, by the end of the film, this cop is going to overcome this affliction to save the day, but what in the WORLD is going to happen to make him have to confront that?".

• Like 1

In the episode it was asked if they felt bad when Lois dies, and certainly the movie makes some effort to make this an emotional moment--something akin to losing a family member or dear pet. The problem is, Lois never actually dies in the movie. Just before his epic display of kissing endurance, Ramsay tells his son to get in the car, call Lois, and tell her he’s fine. As you can imagine, this raises a troubling question. Are we being led to believe that prior to going to the construction site to rescue his son, Ramsay put a call into the Geek Squad to repair Lois? Look man, I know she’s like family, but your actual family member is currently in grave peril, so maybe you shouldn’t worry about Lois too much. Priorities people!

• Like 6

First of all, I'm surprised everyone on the podcast seemed to enjoy this film! Maybe it was the late hour that I was watching it, but this film felt like a slog to get through.

Anyway, earlier in the film, Ramsay's son (most annoying performance by a child actor EVER, by the way) asked his father if Lois would ever go crazy and try to hurt them. Ramsay said something to the effect of, "No, Lois would never hurt us."

Did anyone else think that Luther would sneak one of those chips into Lois and get HER to try to kill Ramsay's kid? It seemed like that's what Crichton was setting up. But, surprise surprise, she never does.

By the way, this is now the 2nd Michael Crichton film you all have done. If you all do "The Lost World: Jurassic Park" in San Diego, it would make it a trilogy. Just sayin'... :)

• Like 1

You can thank Jake Fogelnest for finding this AT&T video.

did at&t pay for this movie to be made? the entire time I watched runaway I could not help but think of this ad.

Lol. WTF is a phone booth?

And, no, AT&T i've never paid a toll without stopping because the idiots in front of me always stop and wait for the light to change before driving. IDIOTS! THE MACHINE WILL GET YOUR DEVICE. DO NOT SLOW DOWN. EVEN IF IT DOESN'T WORK, THEY HAVE A CAMERA THAT TAKES A PICTURE OF YOUR LICENSE PLATE. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT STOP. KEEP DRIVING AT A NORMAL SPEED. I PAY MONEY TO NOT SLOW DOWN AT THESE THINGS AND YOU SLOW DOWN ANYWAY. USE THE FREAKING CASH LANE IF YOU WANT TO STOP. YOUR PASS WORKS THERE TOO. THERE IS LITERATELY NO REASON TO SLOW EVEN SLIGHTLY AT THE TOOL BOOTH!@!!!!!

Sorry.

A while back I saw someone point out how accurate these predictions are except that almost none of these technological advances have been brought to us by AT&T.

ever wish you could goto the bathroom as you drive! AT&T will make that happen.

That's right, them and Xerox screwd up big time.

one thing you can besure of is Paul Allen owns the patent on killer robots.

omg he actually goes to see the oracle.

I'm sure this has already been stated, but Gene Simmons has the SAME. EXACT. LOOK. ON HIS FACE THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE MOVIE!

It's what I like to call a "Dataaaaaass Glare". It's the look creepy dudes have when they're checking out someones booty.

Did anyone else think that Luther would sneak one of those chips into Lois and get HER to try to kill Ramsay's kid? It seemed like that's what Crichton was setting up. But, surprise surprise, she never does.

That didn't occur to me, but that would have been a much better movie.

Haven't gotten a chance to listen to this episode yet, but wanted to put this up because I just got done watching the movie and read through this thread and didn't see anyone mention that the "Spiders" were sort of reminiscent of the bugs from this board game:

300026.jpg

• Like 5

ever wish you could goto the bathroom as you drive! AT&T will make that happen.

That's right, them and Xerox screwd up big time.

one thing you can besure of is Paul Allen owns the patent on killer robots.

It makes me think of this...

• Like 1

That bullet removal audio made me rock. hard.

• Like 3