🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 217 — Goodbye

Goodbye favorite podcast...

I think I could accept the ending of ProBlast better if I knew Tig, Kyle, David, and Aaron would still be hanging out together. Don't drift apart, you guys! Haha.

We can't control that, or course, but can we at least pester them to have a Super Bowl pizza eating contest as Tig mentioned?

• Like 3

I feel selfishly sad to see PB end. I remember hearing about the new science-comedy podcast from the Sklar Brothers on their podcast. I listened to the first episode and knew I had found another piece in the puzzle of my life. I fell in love with Tig, Kyle, David and Aaron. I dreamed of being in the hatch with them. They may not think of themselves as being the hip, cool, popular kids, but they are! When I heard them solicit listeners to become guests if they had some scientific expertise, I jumped at the chance and sent off an email with fingers crossed.

David read one of my tweets on the show and made me feel like I was like a kid reading his name in the paper! Then I got an email that they wanted to have me on as a guest! Even though it was by phone from far-off Connecticut, I felt how sweet and welcoming they all were to me, even as I silently waited on hold. They made me feel like I was an old friend. It was a true high point!

And lo and behold, they asked me back. This time was different. As I waited on hold, I heard them talking about Tig and a diagnosis and then I heard them mention cancer. I held back tears as I am holding them back as I write this. To then try to put that aside and talk about autism and global warming for two hours was pretty tough, but they held my hand (over the phone) and got me through it. I prayed for Tig like I would pray for my sister and I still do.

I had the pleasure of seeing two live PB shows in NYC with Megan, Samuel and many other Blastronauts, who were so nice. I even signed an autograph! My first ever! When I took a little flak for my global warming comments, David, Tig and Kyle leapt to my defense. They were so nice to me each time I saw them, however briefly, at the merch table.

My daughter and I caught Kyle at the Comedy Cellar and he invited us for drinks. And we saw David at the Creek and the Cave and got to talk to him and get pictures. I saw Kyle and Tig in Ridgefield, CT and got a moment with Tig. My point is that these talented, busy, wonderful people have been as nice to me as I could possibly wish. And I am grateful.

In March, my family was in California for vacation and David tried to set up a fourth appearance for me, this time in the hatch! It didn't work out, but I appreciated his efforts. So, I guess I can't say I was short-changed by PB. I do look forward to seeing where they go from here. And I hope I can see them all again for a hug.

It's an odd one-way relationship being a podcast listener. We learn so much about the podcasters that we feel close to them, even though they may not know us at all. But somehow Tig, Kyle, David and Aaron made me feel a part of something unique, fun and very special. Thanks a million to them and to my fellow blastronauts for all the laughs and memories.

Welp, that's been comment.

• Like 6

Tig can't handle the stress of 1 hour per week

Ever since Tig got a little fame her personality changed. She talked down to David and Kyle. Showed zero energy in episodes unless it was plugging her own stuff. This has been a long time coming

• Like 3

Ever since Tig got a little fame her personality changed. She talked down to David and Kyle. Showed zero energy in episodes unless it was plugging her own stuff. This has been a long time coming

I don't think it's the one hour a week; it's the stress of trying to line up three busy schedules for said one hour per week, week after week. In the earlier days they used to record several in a day; I get the sense that stopped being possible.

I really don't understand your other comment. Maybe we're listening to different shows?

• Like 5

Why do all the official statements make it seem like it was a mutual decision, when the content of the last show makes it pretty clear that it was Tig's decision? It even seems like David and Kyle were discussing continuing without her and were shut down (by someone)?

Am I being paranoid? Yeah probably.

• Like 1

Professor Blastoff was the first podcast I ever called my favorite podcast. I hopped on board pretty early on, somewhere around episode 20 or thereabouts. Every Tuesday since has been delightful. It really felt like having 3 great friends I got the privilege to get to know over the course of the past several years. The live show in Phoenix, AZ (which never aired as an episode) is still one of the highlights of my life. It was 90 minutes of pure laughter as Kyle shared stories of his job as a knockoff mickey mouse and so much more. I was in pain from the shear volume of laughter that was forced out of my face that day.

While I've loved every minute of the show, it felt like in the past year or so that the show was becoming less of a passion for the crew, especially Tig. As much as we all don't want the show to end no one wants for the show to be a chore. Having done a weekly podcast with my friends before I know how much work it can be between scheduling conflicts and actually preparing material for the show. It caused some tensions between my group of friends and I'd hate to see the same thing happen to our favorite crew in the hatch. In retrospect I think that Aaron really was the glue that kept the show going smooth (gulp). Once he was gone the "dialing in to the professor" bit became an afterthought on most episodes. And yet it was still always glorious, if not as structured as before.

I look forward to seeing all of what is to come next for Tig, Kyle, and David. Having seen Tig work her material for the HBO Special I can tell you that it will be as funny an hour of material as there is out there. I'll certainly be tuning in to Sy-Fy much more than before to catch Reactor, and whatever podcast Kyle is working on starting up will hopefully fill the PB Place in my heart.

• Like 3

I'm so glad I got to listen to this show. Back in the beginning I sent in a email with a picture of my little baby because she was born with a Tig Wig and they posted it on the PB website and read my email. Now my little girl is a sassy 3 year old, time flies by. I'm going to miss listening to this group each week. Good luck and I love you guys.

But, but, I was listening to that...

I'll always be thankful for this podcast. As soon as Earwolf formed I subscribed to it. The show was always funny on its own, but it really gripped me when Tig started going through her bad times. When it looked like Tig's Largo show might be her last one for a bit because of her health (no mention of cancer yet), I bought a ticket to that Largo show so fast. I had to see Tig Has Friends, because who knows if there would be more of them. Not realizing I had agreed to cover a shift at work on that Friday, it pained me to think about missing the show but I accepted that I had bought a ticket for a show I would not be attending.

Then the podcast episode dropped heavily alluding to a cancer diagnosis, and I— being a cancer survivor myself— decided I would see that show at all costs. I actually played hooky from work for three hours to attend that crazy show that became 'LIVE' (nobody even noticed I was gone). Any Blastronauts in the audience definitely had a feeling for what was to come, but I would wager a lot of that audience was just there to see another Tig Has Friends show at the Largo, and— based on the reactions to her set— they largely had no idea any of this stuff was happening to her. What a whirlwind.

On the downhill slope of that emotional rollercoaster playing out week to week, I became fatigued over the span of months. Everyone (particularly Tig, of course) was getting very busy, and the show felt loved but also that the love of it was the only reason it was still getting produced. I of course understood the causes. All of that was fine. So a little after the manic touring episodes ended with all of their insanity and rousing games of Name That. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . PUNKY!, Blastoff transformed from a must-listen-as-soon-as-it-drops podcast to one with a backlog of over two month's-worth of unlistened-to episodes just sitting on my phone. I didn't want to, but listening to them became a daunting task and I instead unsubscribed.

That only lasted for maybe four or five months. I dipped back in the way I do with other podcasts I've had enough of, where I'll see what guests are on who are people I like. I cherry-picked some episodes, got to listening again, and next thing I knew I was subscribed again, and have remained subscribed since February. I realize as I'm typing this that there are still Professor Blastoff episodes I have not heard, and to be honest, I don't know how I would figure out which ones those are, and even if I did know, would I go back and listen to them?

I would've never known about David Huntsberger were it not for Professor Blastoff. I knew of Tig, of course. I knew of Kyle through Craig's appearances on Reno 911! and an old stand-up set he did with a looping machine that i had seen on youtube. The podcast greatly elevated my appreciation for these hilarious people. But had it not been for Professor Blastoff, I would not have had that Pavlovian response of joy and excitement when David was introduced at a Meltdown show I attended, or when he did warm up for Paul F. Tompkins at his television recording for 'Laboring Under Delusions' at the Alex Theatre in Glendale.

I never assigned favorites on the show. It was more like a back and forth of appreciative-ness. Each host had their ups and downs episode-to-episode and moment-to-moment for sure, but what was important was their dynamic was my favorite (which they discussed a little bit in this farewell episode) because when they were firing on all cylinders, that wagonini was fucking unstoppable (sorry, I know it's a Christian podcast).

I remember a few years ago— even before Tig's cancer— when more and more podcasts were starting up, I had thoughts about the fact that podcasts will end, some had ended already, and in the future some I love will end too. 'What if that podcast ended? What would I listen to? What would happen to the podcasters afterward?' Everything ends. But as I was thinking about all of this stuff, I remember vividly that Professor Blastoff stuck out extra as one I would be very sad to see go, and at that time I could not even fully grasp the concept of its hypothetical conclusion (which made unsubscribing to it a few years later even more of a bizarre feeling, which is I think why I eventually had to come back; I missed Tiny Calves, Beach Poop, & The Wig).

Now I can grasp the concept of Professor Blastoff ending, and yup, it is super-sad, you guys. I would've liked a more chipper final episode, but what I craved the most is what I always crave, which is emotional honesty in a variety of forms, and this episode had that. It is what it is what it is. I applaud the group for being candid and raw. I can only imagine how hard it must be to create a last thing with my friends and put it out there for the public to wax on about.

I wish everyone the best, and I hope I'm not the only one who is looking forward to what Tig, Kyle, and David all have coming up.

(Also, as we are humans with pattern recognition thingies in our brains, I just want to point out that the ratio of comedians leaving their podcasts after a documentary about their lives is released is 2:2 [Eddie Pepitone leaving The Long Shot after the release of The Bitter Buddha, and now Tig with the release of Tig.] As it stands, this is purely coincidental, but my pattern-recognizing brain is now on the look out for a third occurrence...)

• Like 2

Sad to hear. This was one of my favourite podcasts, the chemistry between these people people was incomparable.

Thanks for the years of entertainment, insight and laughs. I felt as if I knew all three of you (AND Aaron) like my own friends. I understand the need to end it but it still really really bums me out and it probably will for awhile. Look forward to all of your future projects (I guess I should get twitter now...).

• Like 1

Kyle and David should do a spin-off called Professor Castoff and continue the hilarity!

And why not add a new gal? I'm sure there are plenty of talented funny ladies floating around LA.

• Like 3

With all due respect, dude, go fuck yourself. It's pretty clear they've been recording several episodes at once for at least the past year and a half. I'm just going to safely assume that 1) you've never had a string of serious illnesses 2) you've never had to continuously travel for your work 3) you've never had to do anything creative. Any combination of those three will make someone re-evaluate what's important and what needs to be the focus of their life. But combining all three of those? I'm honestly amazed Tig has been able to power through this for as long as she is. To me it shows that she loved doing it, but sometimes things just have to be put to rest. I just don't get the audacity of people who think they know about someone's life or understand a situation and deserve to have some haughty opinion on the matter because they listen to a podcast or buy someone's album.

If everyone is happy, healthy, and busy, and it sounds like they are and are also on great terms still, then all I can do is thank them for the joy they've given me for three or so years. Best of luck to everyone.

• Like 10

When this show first started it was like sitting in the back of class with the bad kids while a legit brilliant instructor tried his (or her) dmandest to teach you something. That was awesome. I'm sorry to see that show go. Sadly, it hasn't been like that for a long. long time. Somewhere along the way it became all about the host and their personal lives, and not about trying to inform or discover anything at all. That said, I kept listening from time to time becuase these guys are each brilliant, and every once in a while we saw glimpses of that. I'm happy their talents aren't being wasted on a format they have long since lost inrest in. But, why am I bothering to write this on the last episode? I dunno.

Wish you all the best!

Finished listening to this last night. I'm glad they did a "goodbye" show but this one was a little bit of a bummer note to end on. I feel like the show deserved a better send-off. Of course, that would take a lot of time and effort to put together and they're ending it because they literally don't have time. It would have been cool if Aaron called in or something.

The end when Kyle wanted to call Mother and David immediately said "I wanna get out of here" was just .. a weird way to end the whole thing. Not that I don't understand where everyone is coming from, but .. yeah.

• Like 1

Finished listening to this last night. I'm glad they did a "goodbye" show but this one was a little bit of a bummer note to end on. I feel like the show deserved a better send-off. Of course, that would take a lot of time and effort to put together and they're ending it because they literally don't have time. It would have been cool if Aaron called in or something.

The end when Kyle wanted to call Mother and David immediately said "I wanna get out of here" was just .. a weird way to end the whole thing. Not that I don't understand where everyone is coming from, but .. yeah.

I, too, was hoping for an Aaron call or something along those lines (pizza eating contest, Name That Punky, etc). But maybe what the hosts needed was to honestly express their sadness over the show ending, and didn't have it in themselves to perform any of their more entertaining bits.

I appreciate that David and Kyle seem pretty bummed over the show's ending, haha.

Also, the final tweets from the Professor Blastoff account were pretty sweet and maybe would leave a better taste in your mouth.

• Like 1

Can we edit that out?

This is a Christian podcast.

That's not funny.

• Like 3

I just want to say thank you to Tig, Kyle, and David for all of the laughs and great times on this podcast. Sad to see you go, but wishing you all the best in your future endeavors. THANKS AND LOVE YOU ALL!

• Like 3

It was a great run for Tiny Calves, Beach Poop, and the Wig. I'm glad David and Tig have come to be so successful, and that Tig has overcome such tragedy. I'll miss Kyle most of all tho, he's so zany and goofy and doesn't seem to have the success he deserves. Hopefully a podcast is in store for him!

Also loved the professor dying. Fit in perfectly with the post-Aaron feel of the Professor's transmissions.

• Like 5