🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 242 — Grinding in the Friend Zone

Kulap and guest host Armen Weitzman welcome to the show Jonah Ray, who explains how he uses music to get in touch with his island roots, as well as the hardships of grinding with a lady, while at a school dance. Also, the gang explains why you don't have to see a movie, just because a studio keeps remaking it. Later, Jonah discusses which bands were the ones that got away and why some things can never be thrown away.

Oh yea, Armen is back!

somebody give that guy a podcast!

• Like 5

Whaaat?! So disappointed that Howard isn't there, in Cambridge he told us he was going home Sunday to return to jobsite

Armen was at least a little better here than he was on his last appearance (to me)

Armen's whole manner is an insult to anyone listening to him. Like, he doesn't trust anyone listening to be able to form an accurate impression of him, so he affects this air of abasement to try and force you to react to him the way he would prefer.

It shits me because I know there's a good guy in there but this "puppy offering his belly" air really makes me think he has that whole thing of "he thinks he's the best but he hates himself, he thinks everyone else is the worst but he wants their love" and it ruins anything he tries to do for me.

EDIT: I wish him the best though, also this is the most I've enjoyed Jonah, ever.

• Like 2

Whaaat?! So disappointed that Howard isn't there, in Cambridge he told us he was going home Sunday to return to jobsite

Armen was at least a little better here than he was on his last appearance (to me)

Didn't they say he wasn't going to be on this week on Two Charted? I could have sworn they did.

I know they were discussing him recording snippets on the road, but since the whole tour was thursday-saturday I figured he scheduled it that way and for such a short time so he wouldn't have to miss any "work" days. He told us he had some travel delays on Saturday getting to Boston, sounded like quite an ordeal, so maybe he just needed decompression after the busy weekend.

Head to NJ, listen to some Bruce, pop some clench

• Like 1

I know they were discussing him recording snippets on the road, but since the whole tour was thursday-saturday I figured he scheduled it that way and for such a short time so he wouldn't have to miss any "work" days. He told us he had some travel delays on Saturday getting to Boston, sounded like quite an ordeal, so maybe he just needed decompression after the busy weekend.

Head to NJ, listen to some Bruce, pop some clench

Ahh okay. I had the distinct impression Armen would be on this week but I guess I had no basis for that (despite it actually happening). Wait...maybe I'm developing psychic wishing powers? I WISH FOR CARA DELEVINGNE! I WISH FOR CARA DELEVINGNE!

Aww dammit, I got Interpol's Carlos Dengler instead.

• Like 1

Great ep. :D

But I gotta say. I totally disagree and side with Howard in his absence about movies.

Movies owe you whatever it costs to rent the movie, the time it took to decide which movie you wanted to watch, aaand the runtime of the movie. To me that's a lot. That's half a night plus a couple bucks.

When you waste all that time on some trash movie that was only put together to make money, I think you should be able to shit right back on them.

Admit it, Coldplay and Maroon 5 are really the same band.

Is this serious? While I'm not a fan of either band, they're very different to this unstudied set of ears... Maroon 5 songs have pop-stained funk/reggae/blues-iness in them, coldplay to me is a band based on recording lullabies. I could see some of Maroon 5 songs fitting that mold, but not the recent 'hits'

• Like 1

Love Armen. Haters to the left.

Kulap explained Howard's absence at the top: he's taking an extra day to visit his mommy.

• Like 5

In before Armen curmudgeon-fest, thought this was really enjoyable.

Good job this week Armen, 2/3 ain't bad. (2/3 numbre one!s)

I'd be Armen's podcast wrangler if we can talk about Boogie Nights for a solid hour!!!!!! I live in Los Angeles and have a job already, so I'd obviously work fo freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! GET AT ME, WEITZMAN.

• Like 1

First Professor Blastoff ends and now no Wie. Not a great Earwolf week for me.

However, has there been a more fitting first 5 seconds than:

Ku: What's wrong Armen?

Armen: I feel like my voice sounds... Jewish.

• Like 1

An Armen episode that hasn't spawned eight pages of forum-weeping and gnashing of teeth? Not sure if this one is canon.

• Like 1

Admit it, Coldplay and Maroon 5 are really the same band.

Not at all wtf

Was expecting more Armen hate here, I'm disappointed

Meh, I just don't listen anymore when Armen is on.

• Like 1

Not that I necessarily would have said anything anyway, but two reasons I didn't really have an issue with Armen in this episode:

1) I'm starting to realize that, at least sometimes, him acting the way he does is as much about Kulap bringing it out of him as it is his inherent Armen-ness. Like, in the first ten seconds of the show, before the theme song was even over, he was apparently doing something weird, but it was something silent that we didn't need to know about, and Kulap asked him what he was doing. And I don't mean that as a criticism of Kulap either, because she obviously has total license to dig in on something that she and a lot of the listeners think is entertaining.

2) Maybe because of Jonah or maybe just due to having more experience on the show, more so than in any of his previous appearances, he finally seemed to be sort of grasping the idea of acting more like a host than a guest.

Jonah Ray's "don't criticize movies, they don't owe you anything" is obviously just an extension of his Nerdist/Chris Hardwick sidekick job. Him and Hardwick never give their real opinions on anything because they're afraid of offending aynone. It's lame

and movies do owe you something, they're art that you pay to see

Btw Armen was chill this episode, Another Period is hilarious

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this