🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 18 - A Theme Park Break Room

Paul F. Tompkins welcomes friends, family, cousin varietals, uncles not related by blood, and pets to SPONTANEANATION! This week, Paul’s special guest is creator of the Netflix original series BoJack Horseman, Raphael Bob-Waksberg! They chat about which reality competition show Raphael would have come to his home, why The Phantom Tollbooth holds up beautifully, and being hated by his middle school teacher for taking liberties during a historical re-enactment. Paul is then joined by Erinn Hayes, Marc Evan Jackson, and Mark McConville to improvise a story set at the break room for costumed characters and ride operators at a theme park. As always, the exceptional Eban Schletter scores it all on piano!

The next LIVE SPONTANEANATION will be recorded at Largo on Saturday, August 1st, with special guests Thomas Lennon, Sarah Burns, Craig Cackowski and Marc Evan Jackson ! Last time, the live audience ONLY got to hear Paul and guest Scott Aukerman cover a Smiths song; what exclusive live moments will the August audience get? Get your tickets before it sells out: bit.ly/SPONT815

Erinn Hayes! Fantastic!

Double this sentiment. Love her so much, and she was fantastic on this episode. More Erinn, please!

Also I know he isn't your character Paul, but I'd love it forever if McConville's functionally illiterate clown Randy read an ad or two. He had me in tears. I've been impersonating him to amuse myself.

• Like 2

Ask yourself, dear listener, what sort of eldritch secrets hide in Paul's SPONTronomicon?

9YTSiWV.jpg

• Like 11

Ask yourself, dear listener, what sort of eldritch secrets hide in Paul's SPONTronomicon?

9YTSiWV.jpg

"...also, don't touch my stuff. Two rules."

• Like 1

Raphael Bob-Waksberg does the voice for my favorite character in Bojack Horseman, Charley Witherspoon, the gecko with sticky hands!

• Like 2

"You guys, they've really got me bent around a bucket here. That's a saying, right?"

• Like 4

For some selective memory-esque reason, I of course loved Erinn Hayes' appearance on The Travel Bug and went into this episode with that in mind, but then as this episode progressed, I was like, "Oh, oh! Oh... man, who is she reminding me of? It's driving me nuts. Her character's from New York so what? Man, that's pinging around my brain. I've got me some alarm bells, but whuh-whuh-whuh-why???"

One click later, I scroll down her Earwolf page and OF COURSE she played Marianna— wife of Gourley's Fireplug with his whiskbroom arm— sporting the same accent in the Shut Up and Have Fun with Danny Mahoney ep of the ADPPP, one of my absolute favs of the series. I felt like a real philistine for not remembering that was her. I've only listened to the entirety of the ADPPP upwards of seven times, at least. You'd think I'd have that at the ready.

In conclusion, Erinn Hayes is great!

• Like 3

In conclusion, Erinn Hayes is great!

"That's right, I'm from New York."

• Like 6

Did it sound like PFT was heading into the melody of the intro to "Fairytale of New York" by The Pogues?

and possibly paraphrasing "Stripes"?

"...also, don't touch my stuff. Two rules."

first off, this is great. love bojack and Raphael is great -- however, i was bothered by PFT's poor Gordon Ramsay impression.

Ramsay has a northern, almost Scottish (he is Scottish by birth) accent and Paul was doing some southern/posh/London thing...

also, "my wife" was born in Bristol, UK and she has never heard orange traffic cones being called "witch hats"

• Like 1

first off, this is great. love bojack and Raphael is great -- however, i was bothered by PFT's poor Gordon Ramsay impression.

Ramsay has a northern, almost Scottish (he is Scottish by birth) accent and Paul was doing some southern/posh/London thing...

also, "my wife" was born in Bristol, UK and she has never heard orange traffic cones being called "witch hats"

I thought his "you Donkey!" was pretty on though.

• Like 3

"Mark, we'll be back to pick you up later."

Did Mark McConville just get 'Mister Microphone'd?

• Like 2

This fucking podcast really improves my day, no matter when or how many times I listen its always funny there are so many fucking bits and pieces you find something new every listen.. Its always on point!

• Like 2

"Every time I do it!"

Now that we know it's always him - Paul's inability to hit the right button is fast becoming my favourite thing.

• Like 2

he only knows 200 words and one of them is "rebus" but he can't get past the first picture of the simplest rebus puzzle!