đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Sign in to follow this  
RoryO'Donnell

Ass Backwards

I think it would be really interesting for HDTGM to do one of their own movies. It was basically a really bad version of Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion. Coming from someone who regularly watches and talks about bad movies, you would think June would have done a much job if the point was to make a purposely bad movie. There are so many scenes where you are left wondering if that is a joke....or exposition?

I think it would be really interesting for HDTGM to do one of their own movies. It was basically a really bad version of Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion. Coming from someone who regularly watches and talks about bad movies, you would think June would have done a much job if the point was to make a purposely bad movie. There are so many scenes where you are left wondering if that is a joke....or exposition?

Wow, insulting a movie one of the hosts wrote...interesting tactic. Personally, I enjoyed Ass Backwards, but good luck trying to gain traction on this one.

d4aef8684d21bbe55400ed32fae7df71.gif

• Like 2

Good comedians should be able to laugh at themselves as well. Not everything everyone does will be great and it can be fun to talk about the ones that just didn't get there.

See, if the title of the show were to be taken literally, "Ass Backwards" would be a great fit; the movie was apparently so low-budget that Casey and June made the food for craft services themselves. And they had to stop production for two years when one of the financiers pulled out.

But the show is dedicated to train-wreck movies, and at worst "Ass Backwards" is just a silly little comedy. Nothing in it is really WTF-worthy enough to warrant being covered on the show.

• Like 3

See, if the title of the show were to be taken literally, "Ass Backwards" would be a great fit; the movie was apparently so low-budget that Casey and June made the food for craft services themselves. And they had to stop production for two years when one of the financiers pulled out.

But the show is dedicated to train-wreck movies, and at worst "Ass Backwards" is just a silly little comedy. Nothing in it is really WTF-worthy enough to warrant being covered on the show.

Fair enough. I've always enjoyed listening to people talk about their work that didn't go so well. Like the interview with the guy from Jaws 4 talking how the money blinded him into not thinking about a movie based on an animal getting revenge is nuts or even interviews with Frankie Avalon talking about how he did all those silly beach movies because the girls were super hot and he could get out of doing school work. The interview with the Punisher War Zone director made the movie seem better to me. The interview with Danny Trejo made Con Air seem even cooler that it already was. Anyway......you're probably right that there isn't enough madness (or WTF moments) to carry an hour of programming without going out on tangents. Although the movie opens up with a pretty WTF moment...

this is the first time I've see the effigy do the burning!

(come on guys you know that was good, just read it in Andy Kindler's voice)

• Like 7

Fair enough. I've always enjoyed listening to people talk about their work that didn't go so well.

I don't know about that. June was repping the movie when it came out, and did so in various episodes of HDTGM around the time it hit OnDemand. I don't think she feels the movie "...didn't go well."

• Like 2

I don't know about that. June was repping the movie when it came out, and did so in various episodes of HDTGM around the time it hit OnDemand. I don't think she feels the movie "...didn't go well."

I meant "didn't go so well" in terms of a 4.1 on IMDB and 28% on Rotten Tomatoes (along with a 15% from audience reviews). I didn't mean her personal opinion or even the financial success.

I meant "didn't go so well" in terms of a 4.1 on IMDB and 28% on Rotten Tomatoes (along with a 15% from audience reviews). I didn't mean her personal opinion or even the financial success.

In my opinion, I think that makes this suggestion even worse. According to iMDB, Ass Backwards is at least partially based on a road trip June and Casey took and is dedicated to their late mothers. Think of the movie however you want, but obviously it meant a lot to both June and Casey--regardless of whether or not it was "just a comedy." Having something you poured your heart into analyzed and criticized by, not only the public at large, but by your husband and your friend/colleague, is just a shitty thing to ask of someone and is only asking to hurt their feelings.* When you look back on episodes where an actor or director of a film is present, the person they are speaking with is never that attached (emotionally) to the project. For instance, I don't think you could have James Nguyen on an episode about Birdemic, because however the public perceived it, it still came from a personal place for Mr. Nguyen; however, you can have Whitney Moore on because it's not her story, she was just an actress in it.

I think you are misunderstanding the spirit of the show if you want to have June on and speak of her movie in this way. If you just want the hosts to speak about a project they were involved with, I think that better suggestions might be Year One or Piranha 3DD. In both those cases, June and Paul respectively, were just actors and didn't have a hand in the writing or creation of the film.

Personally, I would never want any of them to ever do a show about a movie they wrote. I don't know any of them personally, but every two weeks (or every week in Paul's case) they keep me company, make me laugh, and help me get through the drudgery of my day-to-day. I know this doesn't make me their "friend," but I do care about all three of them, and I wouldn't want to hurt any of their feelings or ever place them in a position where they might potentially be hurt.

*And before someone posts something about hurting other film makers' feelings, I'd just say those people aren't a part of this show and always have the option of not listening, walking away, or just plan ignoring it.

• Like 8

In my opinion, I think that makes this suggestion even worse. According to iMDB, Ass Backwards is at least partially based on a road trip June and Casey took and is dedicated to their late mothers. Think of the movie however you want, but obviously it meant a lot to both June and Casey--regardless of whether or not it was "just a comedy." Having something you poured your heart into analyzed and criticized by, not only the public at large, but by your husband and your friend/colleague, is just a shitty thing to ask of someone and is only asking to hurt their feelings.* When you look back on episodes where an actor or director of a film is present, the person they are speaking with are not that attached (emotionally) to the project. For instance, I don't think you could have James Nguyen on an episode about Birdemic, because however the public perceived it, it still came from a personal place for Mr. Nguyen; however, you can have Whitney Moore on because it's not her story, she was just an actress in it.

I think you are misunderstanding the spirit of the show if you want to have June on and speak of her movie in this way. If you just want the hosts to speak about a project they were involved with, I think better suggestions might be Year One or Piranha 3DD. In both those cases, June and Paul respectively, were just actors and didn't have a hand in the writing or creation of the film.

Personally, I would never want any of them to ever do a show about a movie they wrote. I don't know any of them personally, but every two weeks (or every week in Paul's case) they keep me company, make me laugh, and help me get through the drudgery of my day-to-day. I know this doesn't make me their "friend," but I do care about all three of them, and I wouldn't want to hurt any of their feelings or be placed in a position where they might potentially be hurt.

*And before someone posts something about hurting other film makers' feelings, I'd just say they aren't a part of this show and have the option of not listening, walking away, or just plan ignoring it.

Amen.

• Like 1

I think you are misunderstanding the spirit of the show if you want to have June on and speak of her movie in this way. If you just want the hosts to speak about a project they were involved with, I think that better suggestions might be Year One or Piranha 3DD. In both those cases, June and Paul respectively, were just actors and didn't have a hand in the writing or creation of the film.

this made me think of when, years ago, Paul called into The Best Show on WFMU to talk about his experiences making Piranha 3D.

you can hear it here https://wfmu.org/playlists/BD

it's the one form august 23, 2010. It's really worth a listen for any HDTGM fans, it's one of my favorite things

• Like 1

In my opinion, I think that makes this suggestion even worse. According to iMDB, Ass Backwards is at least partially based on a road trip June and Casey took and is dedicated to their late mothers. Think of the movie however you want, but obviously it meant a lot to both June and Casey--regardless of whether or not it was "just a comedy." Having something you poured your heart into analyzed and criticized by, not only the public at large, but by your husband and your friend/colleague, is just a shitty thing to ask of someone and is only asking to hurt their feelings.* When you look back on episodes where an actor or director of a film is present, the person they are speaking with is never that attached (emotionally) to the project. For instance, I don't think you could have James Nguyen on an episode about Birdemic, because however the public perceived it, it still came from a personal place for Mr. Nguyen; however, you can have Whitney Moore on because it's not her story, she was just an actress in it.

Personally, I would never want any of them to ever do a show about a movie they wrote. I don't know any of them personally, but every two weeks (or every week in Paul's case) they keep me company, make me laugh, and help me get through the drudgery of my day-to-day. I know this doesn't make me their "friend," but I do care about all three of them, and I wouldn't want to hurt any of their feelings or ever place them in a position where they might potentially be hurt.

*And before someone posts something about hurting other film makers' feelings, I'd just say those people aren't a part of this show and always have the option of not listening, walking away, or just plan ignoring it.

Excellent point that most of the people who are brought on to talk about their own films are detached from the film but I also seriously doubt that if Stallone asked to be on the show to talk about Rhinestone they would not have turned down the opportunity. Obviously that would never happen since Stallone has a huge ego but it would make great entertainment.

I haven’t seen Piranha 3DD so I can’t comment on that but Year One doesn’t seem like it would be very fun to talk about. I was trying to suggest a different kind of episode where you actually get to hear how the film got made and that was not a typical episode, something a little gimmicky for a chance of a pace. Maybe they could even do one where each of them talk about the worst film, episode, or role they participated in…….I was just thinking outside the box since there are so many bad movies, the point is to find ones that are fun to talk about.

It makes sense to feel like you have a connection to the hosts. Podcasts aren’t quite the same, but radio has been considered the most intimate form of mass communication because it’s like someone is speaking directly to you and you have a chance to participate in the conversation with call ins. Podcasts are pretty similar in that sense, but instead of calling in we write on the forum. It’s actually a pretty similar sentiment that Fry had for the Star Trek cast in an episode Futurama. Radio shows tend to have a very hardcore base audience just think of the following people like Howard Stern or Rush get. But as far as hurting their feelings, I never said it had to be done a mean way. It can be done in a fun or comical way. It could be done more like the Fast Five or Con Air episodes where it’s a loving kind of dissection of the movie. Even done this way it could change people’s minds. For example I hated No Holds Barred, but actually listening to them dissect the movie and the fun they had poking fun at the movie made me actually reflect back and realize it was actually pretty fun to watch. But regardless it still seems kind of hypocritical for it to be okay to have a show talking about bad movies and to rip on other people’s work and not be able to handle criticism of their own work.

this made me think of when, years ago, Paul called into The Best Show on WFMU to talk about his experiences making Piranha 3D.

you can hear it here https://wfmu.org/playlists/BD

it's the one form august 23, 2010. It's really worth a listen for any HDTGM fans, it's one of my favorite things

Thanks for sharing this, i'll have to check it out after I see the movie.

Effigy, I'm not trying to be deliberately obtuse, but it seems like your motivations are kind of all over the place...

You began this post describing Ass Backwards as "a bad version of Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion." You later wrote you wanted to hear her discuss it based on its critical reception. And you also wrote that you just want to hear her talk about it just to hear her talk about it in the greater context of the hosts talking about their own films.

I guess I just don't know what you want. If you want them to do a typical HDTGM episode based on Ass Backwards, I just don't think that's going to happen--even in a Crank, Fast and Furious, Punisher-type way. And even if they were going to do that, I think they would have done so back when it was released. The problem is--and why I don't think they ever even thought to do that--is that there isn't a way that they could encourage their fans to watch a movie that one of them wrote and then listen to them shower it with praise for an hour. Even if they were being 100% sincere (which I have no doubt they would be), there's no way that's not going to come off as disingenuous.

If you just want to hear them talk about their own movies, I don't know if this is the right podcast for that. I have sometimes read people describe HDTGM as a movie review podcast, but I've never seen it that way. I have always seen HDTGM as a comedy podcast that just happens to talk about bad/crazy movies. That may not make a lot of sense, but the distinction is clear in my mind even if I can't articulate it properly.

As an added point, in regard to them talking about their movies (Ass Backwards in particular), they've already done it.

In this mini-episode June talks a little bit about Ass Backwards, the making of it, and what it means to her. She even says she may love it "too much." It might not be everything you were hoping for, but it is something.

• Like 4

Excellent point that most of the people who are brought on to talk about their own films are detached from the film but I also seriously doubt that if Stallone asked to be on the show to talk about Rhinestone they would not have turned down the opportunity. Obviously that would never happen since Stallone has a huge ego but it would make great entertainment.

I haven’t seen Piranha 3DD so I can’t comment on that but Year One doesn’t seem like it would be very fun to talk about. I was trying to suggest a different kind of episode where you actually get to hear how the film got made and that was not a typical episode, something a little gimmicky for a chance of a pace. Maybe they could even do one where each of them talk about the worst film, episode, or role they participated in…….I was just thinking outside the box since there are so many bad movies, the point is to find ones that are fun to talk about.

It makes sense to feel like you have a connection to the hosts. Podcasts aren’t quite the same, but radio has been considered the most intimate form of mass communication because it’s like someone is speaking directly to you and you have a chance to participate in the conversation with call ins. Podcasts are pretty similar in that sense, but instead of calling in we write on the forum. It’s actually a pretty similar sentiment that Fry had for the Star Trek cast in an episode Futurama. Radio shows tend to have a very hardcore base audience just think of the following people like Howard Stern or Rush get. But as far as hurting their feelings, I never said it had to be done a mean way. It can be done in a fun or comical way. It could be done more like the Fast Five or Con Air episodes where it’s a loving kind of dissection of the movie. Even done this way it could change people’s minds. For example I hated No Holds Barred, but actually listening to them dissect the movie and the fun they had poking fun at the movie made me actually reflect back and realize it was actually pretty fun to watch. But regardless it still seems kind of hypocritical for it to be okay to have a show talking about bad movies and to rip on other people’s work and not be able to handle criticism of their own work.

It sounds like you want a podcast where June talks about the movie, her role in it and her experiences making it. Something where she fields questions and comments, and reveals some juicy anecdotes and behind the scenes stuff. That sounds like something geared more towards I Was There Too than HDTGM.

I think you're being a bit harsh. Ass Backwards isn't a bananas-bad film at all. I get that you're trying to think "outside the box" and differentiate yourself from the crowd here on the boards, but this isn't a good way to do that.

Also, HDTGM doesn't review comedies. Hence, the lack of Sandler movies.

• Like 3

Effigy, I'm not trying to be deliberately obtuse, but it seems like your motivations are kind of all over the place...

You began this post describing Ass Backwards as "a bad version of Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion." You later wrote you wanted to hear her discuss it based on its critical reception. And you also wrote that you just want to hear her talk about it just to hear her talk about it in the greater context of the hosts talking about their own films.

I guess I just don't know what you want. If you want them to do a typical HDTGM episode based on Ass Backwards, I just don't think that's going to happen--even in a Crank, Fast and Furious, Punisher-type way. And even if they were going to do that, I think they would have done so back when it was released. The problem is--and why I don't think they ever even thought to do that--is that there isn't a way that they could encourage their fans to watch a movie that one of them wrote and then listen to them shower it with praise for an hour. Even if they were being 100% sincere (which I have no doubt they would be), there's no way that's not going to come off as disingenuous.

If you just want to hear them talk about their own movies, I don't know if this is the right podcast for that. I have sometimes read people describe HDTGM as a movie review podcast, but I've never seen it that way. I have always seen HDTGM as a comedy podcast that just happens to talk about bad/crazy movies. That may not make a lot of sense, but the distinction is clear in my mind even if I can't articulate it properly.

As an added point, in regard to them talking about their movies (Ass Backwards in particular), they've already done it.

In this mini-episode June talks a little bit about Ass Backwards, the making of it, and what it means to her. She even says she may love it "too much." It might not be everything you were hoping for, but it is something.

No worries Cameron, I’ll try and be a little bit clearer. I described the movie that way because that’s how I personally feel. I would personally like to hear to it done either way. Initially I thought I doing it based on the critical reception would be the way to go. But after thinking about it a little bit, I thought they maybe could make it entertaining by doing it Fast Five style. I personally don’t think they will ever take on the movie or any of their work. But it’s still fun talk about it and who knows, stranger things have happened.

I do see HDTGM as a movie review podcast. It’s obviously very funny or I wouldn’t listen but to me a strictly comedy podcast would have a broader focus.

I did hear the mini-episode where June briefly talks about the movie, which I enjoyed and it’s actually why I ended up watching the movie. I was just hoping for a little bit more.

Never meant to ruffle anyone’s feathers, I just thought it would be fun for them to turn the spotlight on themselves.

It sounds like you want a podcast where June talks about the movie, her role in it and her experiences making it. Something where she fields questions and comments, and reveals some juicy anecdotes and behind the scenes stuff. That sounds like something geared more towards I Was There Too than HDTGM.

I think you're being a bit harsh. Ass Backwards isn't a bananas-bad film at all. I get that you're trying to think "outside the box" and differentiate yourself from the crowd here on the boards, but this isn't a good way to do that.

Also, HDTGM doesn't review comedies. Hence, the lack of Sandler movies.

Blast, thanks for the suggestion, I’ll check out “I Was There Too”. Any episode you recommend to start with?

I don’t really think I was being too harsh though. I just said I didn’t think it was very good and it seemed like a crappier Romy and Michelle High School Reunion. I like it better than Rhinestone or some of the other HDTGM movies I’ve seen. I didn’t say anything near the level that you ripped apart a movie that you haven’t even seen. “This fuckin' loathesome, bloated corpse of a movie looks like cancer for the soul, and I would like to preemptively recommend it here and now just to get it over with”. That’s pretty harsh for a movie you haven’t actually seen.

They may not do a lot but HDTGM does review comedies. Rhinestone, The Love Guru, and Jingle All the Way were comedies. Also, Adam Sandler movies are tragedies not comedies.

I don’t really think I was being too harsh though. I just said I didn’t think it was very good and it seemed like a crappier Romy and Michelle High School Reunion. I like it better than Rhinestone or some of the other HDTGM movies I’ve seen. I didn’t say anything near the level that you ripped apart a movie that you haven’t even seen. “This fuckin' loathesome, bloated corpse of a movie looks like cancer for the soul, and I would like to preemptively recommend it here and now just to get it over with”. That’s pretty harsh for a movie you haven’t actually seen.

Actually, I have seen Vaction, but back when it was originally called National Lampoon's Vacation. (((BOOM!)))

• Like 1

Actually, I have seen Vaction, but back when it was originally called National Lampoon's Vacation. (((BOOM!)))

Okay, but correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that quote a reference to the 2015 movie which you only brought up after seeing the trailer when you went to see a different movie?

If I'm wrong and that was a reference to original National Lampoon's Vacation sorry for misquoting you.

I think I'm going to try watch this. It doesn't seem like it was very well received but I do like both Casey Wilson (Happy Endings was a great show and ABC can choke on a bag of Richards for canceling it) and June Diane Raphael. I think I'll enjoy it if all the jokes and funnies aren't vulgar. Don't get me wrong, I do like vulgar jokes but if a comedy only consists of vulgar jokes I get bored quick.

• Like 1

I think I'm going to try watch this. It doesn't seem like it was very well received but I do like both Casey Wilson (Happy Endings was a great show and ABC can choke on a bag of Richards for canceling it) and June Diane Raphael. I think I'll enjoy it if all the jokes and funnies aren't vulgar. Don't get me wrong, I do like vulgar jokes but if a comedy only consists of vulgar jokes I get bored quick.

I think it's still streaming on Netflix

Okay, but correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that quote a reference to the 2015 movie which you only brought up after seeing the trailer when you went to see a different movie?

If I'm wrong and that was a reference to original National Lampoon's Vacation sorry for misquoting you.

Correct you if you're wrong? You know that you quoted me directly, right?

Sign in to follow this