🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 115.5 — Minisode 115.5

I need the MK: Annihilation episode because there is so much I can point out with the movie and how it differs from the games... even to the point of the MK ninjas real names, I'd just go nuts.

• Like 1

I need the MK: Annihilation episode because there is so much I can point out with the movie and how it differs from the games... even to the point of the MK ninjas real names, I'd just go nuts.

I think we all have one or more of those movies where we just totally nerd out. That's how I was during TMNT 2.

And if I had been aware of this podcast when they did Batman & Robin, I would have been borderline insufferable.

I feel so cheated, Why are we not getting "white dog". this movie needs to happen.

I think we'll get Black Dog sooner than we will White Dog. White Dog would be the first Criterion film if it was chosen.

What's odd to me is that seems like those of us who post on the forums seem to be overwhelmingly against the idea, but the Twitter-heads seem to be all for it. I kind of wonder why that is...Is it a personality thing?

The only thing I can think of is that those of us who post on the boards are more of the "let's enjoy the episode, but let's also get into it ourselves and discuss it in our own way," whereas people who are on Twitter, and I don't mean this to sound as condescending as it might, are maybe a more passive audience. I guess what I mean is, when they do episodes like Jupiter Ascending, Deep Blue Sea, Xanadu or whatever, we all enjoy what our hosts have to say, but there is still a lot of meat on the bone for us to discuss here. In other words, I like listening to HDTGM, but I like coming here and talking about the movies ourselves almost as much; and when you do a movies like Sharknado (especially multiple times), there's just nothing really left for us to say. I know that makes me a bit of a greedy, forum snob, but there you go.

That all being said, if Paul, June, Jason, and Scott are still having fun watching these movies then I'm not against it. The episode certainly didn't suffer from it being the third time they've talked about these stupid movies. I'll probably just skip the movie again next year and just listen to the episode. And despite what they said in the episode itself, I'm sure SyFy LOVES the fact that HDTGM is covering these. Yeah, they're making fun of them, but they're also guaranteeing at least a view thousand viewers who will tune in just so they can fully enjoy the HDTGM episode that is sure to follow. That being the case, I think SyFy owes the gang a lot. By virtue of the crate of bobble heads they got, SyFy obviously recognizes that they are bringing in a significant amount of viewers. In fact, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they were all asked to do a brief cameo in the next one, and short of them writing it themselves, that might be the only reason to tempt me to catch it when it airs.

I also didn't think Jason, in particular, and Scott really wanted to do Sharknado 4. They seemed over it. I much prefer episodes where they are excited to talk about the movie, for whatever reason. So if they watch it and feel like they have a podcast in them, I will certainly listen to it. I don't want them to feel obligated though.

Soo if Twitter votes "yes" to Sharknado 4 and the forums vote "no" that means the hosts are tie-breakers, right? They can do whatever they want?

• Like 6

I'm sorry, I'm still hung up on White Dog... do you think that dog knew it was playing the role of a white supremacist?? I mean it'd have to get suspicious after being told throughout the filming of the movie to exclusively bark at and attack black actors. I wonder what June would think about that...

White_Dog_DVD_cover.jpg

Is it me or does that look like Doge??? Is doge a white supremacist??? My world is collapsing all around me.

Holy hell, read the production history of this film on Wikipedia... this is insane. My mind is constantly being blown over this.

• Like 5

I think we'll get Black Dog sooner than we will White Dog. White Dog would be the first Criterion film if it was chosen.

You mean to tell me that Black Dog is HDTGM material? This is a shock to me. In all seriousness, I'd be pumped if they did Black Dog.

After this minisode, do I need to rent or buy Top Dog?

• Like 1

Yeah, you definitely need the setup to fully appreciate such a nuanced piece of film.

Not to mention, the continuity between the MK films is absolutely airtight! All those questions at the end of the first one that you didn't even know you had? Answered. All of them...

• Like 1

Not to mention, the continuity between the MK films is absolutely airtight! All those questions at the end of the first one that you didn't even know you had? Answered. All of them...

It's not just continuity from the films, it's that "NO! IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE THAT!" you get when you have them show up.

The movie is just a hodge podge or Mortal Kombat 2, 3 and 4, you have characters turning up with no names, whilst other characters are named and they don't show up, and the stories are all fucked up.

It's not just continuity from the films, it's that "NO! IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE THAT!" you get when you have them show up.

The movie is just a hodge podge or Mortal Kombat 2, 3 and 4, you have characters turning up with no names, whilst other characters are named and they don't show up, and the stories are all fucked up.

My favorite thing that's just sort of left hanging is when they seemingly come across Sub-Zero, who'd apparently died in the first one. He beats...someone, I don't know, and they're like "We thought Sub-Zero was dead!", to which he responds with something along the lines of "He totally is. I'm his brother. Bob's my name, Bob-Zero". Okay, everything after the brother part is made up, but a man can dream...

• Like 2

The only thing I can think of is that those of us who post on the boards are more of the "let's enjoy the episode, but let's also get into it ourselves and discuss it in our own way," whereas people who are on Twitter, and I don't mean this to sound as condescending as it might, are maybe a more passive audience.

As someone who is closer to the latter group as of the last few episodes, I (yes, the person with over 2,000 posts on the Earwolf forum) would find it pretty baffling if you were being condescending (and to be clear, I believe that you're not) towards people who don't have the time and/or desire to read 10+ pages of posts about a bad movie in addition to the hour-plus that they spent listening to a podcast about it, and maybe the ~2 hours they spent watching it.

Anyway, getting to what I came in here to post - Scott Aukerman's favorite movie trailer ever?

• Like 1

I'm not watching anymore Sharknado's, intentionally bad movies suck all the fun out of what makes something so bad it's good. I heard the latest one had an obscene amount of product placement as well...gross.

Having said that I still enjoyed listening to the episode very much, Hot Saucerman is such a good guest and conversationalist he shouldn't be relegated to someone has to sit through this every year.

• Like 2

As someone who is closer to the latter group as of the last few episodes, I (yes, the person with over 2,000 posts on the Earwolf forum) would find it pretty baffling if you were being condescending (and to be clear, I believe that you're not) towards people who don't have the time and/or desire to read 10+ pages of posts about a bad movie in addition to the hour-plus that they spent listening to a podcast about it, and maybe the ~2 hours they spent watching it.

Anyway, getting to what I came in here to post - Scott Aukerman's favorite movie trailer ever?

Yeah, I really just put that aside in there so that my "passive audience" remark wouldn't come across as sounding like I felt forum posters were somehow "better" fans than Twitter followers. Otherwise, yeah, I think we're saying basically the same thing. I just found it odd that the desire for another Sharknado episode seemed to divide so cleanly between social platforms, and I was just throwing a theory out there. To wit, Twitter followers seem to be more content with the episode in and of itself, and since they have no desire to explore these movies beyond that, are more apt to be pro-Sharknado 4, whereas people who do put the time into reading/writing forum posts are against it, because it becomes more or less a non-starter as far as conversations go.

• Like 1

My two cents, as someone who doesn't even follow Paul, June, or HDTGM on Twitter and is semi-active on the HDTGM forum - I totally agree with the idea of being philosophically against doing movies that aren't really trying to be good. If I really wanted (or weirdly felt obligated) to watch every movie, this would annoy me more than it does. Personally, I watch maybe half the movies, and if there's one that I can't access for free or just don't want to watch (like the Sharknado movies, of which I've seen none), then that's fine. I still love the Sharknado episodes because the discussions are just as good or better than with "genuine" bad movies, largely because Scott is the best. Earlier in this thread, I think someone mentioned Scott being stuck with these movies or something to that effect, but I think that's a false premise, because most guests don't come back for multiple episodes. So if this means we get a Scott episode every year, I'll gladly take it.

• Like 1

Yeah, I really just put that aside in there so that my "passive audience" remark wouldn't come across as sounding like I felt forum posters were somehow "better" fans than Twitter followers.

Fuck that. We clearly are. :)

• Like 3

I'm a little surprised that Paul got to talking about zombies being turned into Borg, and he never called the resulting creatures Zomborg.

the trailer sounded out of control. Just SAW it and I don't know what the fuck to think. Biggest thing that surprised me was that this was made in 1995?!?!

Also Ron Swanson wrote this movie. But under the very cunning alias of Ron Sŵanson.

Or are we suppose to believe that this Ron Sŵanson is A TOTALLY DIFFERENT PERSON? A likely story.

tumblr_nsl7wgeBRX1qbswx9o1_540.jpg

• Like 7

Also Ron Swanson wrote this movie. But under the very cunning alias of Ron Sŵanson.

Or are we suppose to believe that this Ron Sŵanson is A TOTALLY DIFFERENT PERSON? A likely story.

tumblr_nsl7wgeBRX1qbswx9o1_540.jpg

Is that Jokerman font?

My favorite thing that's just sort of left hanging is when they seemingly come across Sub-Zero, who'd apparently died in the first one. He beats...someone, I don't know, and they're like "We thought Sub-Zero was dead!", to which he responds with something along the lines of "He totally is. I'm his brother. Bob's my name, Bob-Zero". Okay, everything after the brother part is made up, but a man can dream...

Well, the ironic thing is, that actually does happen in the games, but because the movie is so cack-handed in handling it, it was basically "Fuck it, put him back in and say it's his brother".

There are two Sub-Zeros in the MK universe. The original in MK 1 is Bi-Han (like I said, I know what too much about this shit), he is killed in the events between MK 1 and 2 by Scorpion as an act of retribution for killing his family and clan (which is a whole different clusterfuck in itself). From MK 2 onwards, it's his younger brother Kuai Liang, who took on the Sub Zero moniker. Bi-Han was then resurrected as Noob Saibot.

This is the second time Alejandro Jodorowsky's name has been mangled.

yes yes, thank you.

JO-DOR-OW-SKY with the "w" pronounced as a "f". The guys a fuckin' genius Paul, say his goddamned named right son!

• Like 1

I just started watching Top Dog. I got as far as the title...

Oh, Hollywood! What manner of what-the-fuckery hast thou wrought?

I'm going back in...

c6353ae8296975575487420aad025a16.gif

• Like 4

Fuck that. We clearly are. :)

Okay, fuck, marry, kill: Forum posters, Twitter followers, Facebook fans.

• Like 1

I just started watching Top Dog. I got as far as the title...

Oh, Hollywood! What manner of what-the-fuckery hast thou wrought?

I'm going back in...

I'm about 30 mins into Top Dog......Seriously, what the fuck is this? I can't wait to hear the gang talk about this one.

• Like 1

Won't lie, a bit disappointed Paul hasn't seen David Lynch's Dune. That is a definite must for HDTGM! I would love to hear their fresh look at the insanity of that glorious film!