🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 20 - Death Valley

Paul F. Tompkins welcomes friends, strangers, mutual friends, work friends, acquaintances, and more back to SPONTANEANATION! This week, Paul’s special guest is Real Time with Bill Maher Executive Producer and playwright Scott Carter! They chat about Scott’s fury at Mike Wallace of 60 Minutes, being a childhood baseball card grifter, and unpleasant BBQ associations. Paul is then joined by Jessica Chaffin, Michael Oosterom, and Colleen Smith to improvise a story set in Death Valley. As always, Eban Schletter, only the best, scores it all on piano!

The next LIVE SPONTANEANATION will be recorded at Largo on Saturday, September 12th, with special guests Kristen Schaal & Superego! Last time, Thomas Lennon and Paul covered a Joy Division song for the live audience ONLY. What will happen before your very eyes next time? Get your tickets now: bit.ly/SPONT915

This one was extra-surreal, which always makes it more fun! Loved Toadstool (and Legcramp) and Margaret! And "Don't tell me about your mother giving away your baseball cards."

• Like 6

I've been on the fence about this new "peyote henoymoon" trend, but after listening to this episode, my fears are allayed. If the peak gets too weird, we can always ground things by watching "Dune", or even just closing our eyes and getting lost in that sweet, sweet soundtrack by Toto. What could possibly go wrong?

Thanks, Spontaneanation! With your help, there's no way this next marriage will be as big of a disaster as the previous one!

Paul, I had to create an account just to defend trains. When I was a poor, car-less, college student, I would frequently take the train from Boston to D.C. and back again. Round trip train tickets were cheaper than plane tickets, and the time I lost spent on the slower form of transportation was mitigated by the fact that I didn't have to show up early to the train station--everything was so easy. There was no baggage check, no security lines, just hop on the train and go.

I also never encountered any racists on the train. Then again, as a black person, racists have a tendency to avoid talking to me anyways. Not that I'm complaining.

• Like 1

Even though I had a strong desire to turn this episode off while the asthmatic lady struggled to vomit, this was ultimately a joy! Thanks Paul et al.

• Like 1

Nothing better to start the week than a talking Native American asthma inhaler taking a newly-married couple on a peyote trip with a woman named Toadstool!

• Like 1

I mean, why wouldn't Paul know René Auberjonois? Odo? Robert House? He would be a phenomenal interview subject for SPONT.

• Like 1

Great work from the guests as usual.

I've been waiting to see which improviser would have trouble working the sound effects and over the last few episodes it's been amusing to discover that it's Paul himself.

• Like 6

I mean, why wouldn't Paul know René Auberjonois? Odo? Robert House? He would be a phenomenal interview subject for SPONT.

According to a twitter conversation today, he was talking about his son, Remy.

• Like 1

According to a twitter conversation today, he was talking about his son, Remy.

Well, I feel dumb! Sorry, Paul.

(But I stand by my statement that he'd make for a great interview.)

Good lord I love the No, You Shut Up! cast whenever they're on here. Colleen has made me laugh-cry on every single appearance. You need to get these guys over to Matt's for some Superego sketches. Well, you don't need to do anything, aside from survive. But it'd make for some great sketches, IN MY OPINION.

• Like 2

This is definitely my favorite episode since Savannah, GA. Colleen's characters keep getting weirder and weirder, and I love it.

I am a bit disappointed that Paul called The Big Lebowski overrated, though.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed toadstool..

Being from Edinburgh, Scotland.. It's definitely pronounced Edinbura .. It's not our accents. If it was Edinborrow it would be bo rather than bu..

Ps, we are having a great comedy festival on just now.. Come visit one year.

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this