🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 1701 - James Urbaniak

Awesome! Recently went through Hartley's "Henry Fool" trilogy and he's so great in them.

• Like 1

After listening to Professor Blastoff from the beginning, I have to say I hope Jimmy doesn't have any form of C-diff. That stuff is bad news.

• Like 1

Clackers weren't for adults, they were a kids fad in the '70s. Then stories started appearing in tabloid papers (at least in the UK) that the balls were accidentally shattering, injuring children, and the fad quickly died off.

Re Clackers: Those things were incredibly dangerous, even without shattering! I was a kid/teen in the 70s and my brother and sister and I had them. Looking back, I can't believe they ever made it to market! We all had knots and bruises on our heads, faces, and arms from those things. Once the original ones with string were pulled from the market, they introduced a version with rigid "arms" that make getting knocked in the face much less likely. (Those were also much less fun.)

• Like 3

Holy crapola, Urbaniak was part of the Wassssup ads!

The talk about Hee Haw brought back a memory from my army basic training.

So I'm in basic, which means do what you are told, stay out of trouble.

I'm off in my corner of the barracks, and I hear the drill sergeant screaming out my name. "ORIGAMI MAMI, POST!"

Meaning, drop everything, run to him, and once I'm in front of him get into the position of attention, and yell "Private Origami Mami reporting!"

I run into his room, and he's sitting around a 13" B&W TV with the other drills, and I realize I'm overmatched, and they are all going to tear into me for whatever I may have done.

I report, the drill without standing up or looking at me says, "you're from Altoona aren't you?"

Me, "YES DRILL SERGEANT!" (Because you always have to yell.)

Him, "they just saluted your hometown on Hee Haw." Then, "you can leave now."

As I perform my about-face and run away, I hear the other drill sergeants laughing.

Damn you Pardo for making me relive that inane moment in my life. :)

• Like 3

great ep, urbaniak is a very good fit imo

• Like 5

I appreciated James' shoutout to the PCPA theater. I worked there for a couple years after high school and they always put on good performances.

This was a solid episode. James Urbaniak always seemed like an interesting conversationalist and person, and I'm happy to see that it's true.

• Like 1

great ep, urbaniak is a very good fit imo

He was excellent. His Tom Cruise story was pretty much a perfect Never Not Funny anecdote.

• Like 1

He was excellent. His Tom Cruise story was pretty much a perfect Never Not Funny anecdote.

No lie, Thursday night I was slumming on the couch at night since I had Friday off for my company picnic, and Vanilla Sky was on some local movie channel. Weird coincidence I thought

anybody watch last weekend's Race to Escape, god that was brutal. I wanted to backhand the guy emptying stuffed animals about 15 times before it was over, great ep though

I watched it. I spent a couple minutes of brain power wondering why the planets were listed in that particular order on the board, and I don't think it was a factor. (unless it had to do with the position of the last message.)

Jimmy reading the riot act over the planet Uranus was a nice add.

He mentioned it previously, but the ending of the show is awkward. They release the people and roll credits, it's a too abrupt way to end a show.

The clackers also gave rise to the fastastically captioned United States v. Article Consisting of 50,000 Cardboard Boxes More or Less, Each Containing One Pair of Clacker Balls, 413 F. Supp. 1281 (D. Wisc. 1976), which involved the seizure at behest of the consumer products safety commission of, well, what it says on the label.

(A bit of context on the weird case caption: Seizure of goods cases tend to proceed in rem, or under jurisdiction arising over things, rather than in personam, or under jurisdiction arising over real or legal persons; as such, case captions are styled with the articles in question as the "defendant" rather than actual interested parties. My favorite case of this sort is United States v. 594,464 Pounds of Salmon, More or Less, 871 F.2d 824 (9th Cir. 1989), just because I like to imagine around 300 tons of salmon sitting at counsel table...)

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this