SeasonOfTheBitch

What was your gateway podcast?

Hey chaps,

I keep checking these forums and getting disappointed about the limited activity (I'm a human who likes shit to happen) so I fancy getting a dialogue going. Also I'm new here and I'm nosey so wanna get to know y'all.

What was the podcast which got you into earwolf? How did you discover this wonderous place?

I'm super new to the earwolf network, in jan this year I posted something about Jean-ralphio on Facebook and a buddy linked me to the Solo Bolo ep of CBB and I spent the first half an hour like what. Is. This. But it grew on me, and then I listened to all benny schwah eps, then all eps, then I realised there was a whole world of podcasts and the rest is very very recent history.

• Like 10

For me it was Sklarbro Country. I heard them talking about it when they were guest-hosting The Jim Rome Show. I had no idea what a podcast even was. Found it online that night, took me a bit to figure out how to get it downloaded and on my iPod, but got it and never looked back. At the time I had a new baby and was spending my nights up with her so mom could sleep. Figured out I could listen to the shows with my headphones and not bother her. That show, and the thousands of others I've found since then, got me through late nights with three babies, overcoming the deaths of my mother and mother-in-law, layoffs, sickness. Everything. The free entertainment Earwolf started for me has been a wonderful distraction for years now.

Great discussion starter.

• Like 5

Sklarbro Country. I got into Sklarbro from their appearance on the Nerdist podcast. I've seen their standup act on Comedy Central but didn't know they had a podcast, and I was new to podcasts in general at the time so I didn't have much other than the Nerdist that I listened to. From there I discovered other Earwolf podcasts via the Sklar's having Earwolf guests on their show, as well as browsing the iTunes Earwolf page once I started to get more into the brand.

Side note: I met Chris Hardwick at a book signing once and he loved the Sklarbro Country shirt I had on.

• Like 1

I got started on U Talkin' U2 To Me?, which is really funny because I never really liked U2. But I had just finished a Parks & Rec binge and did some digging on Adam Scott. Found UTU2TM, and my addiction to Earwolf podcasts began.

Now, I kind of like U2. Weird.

• Like 3

I got started on U Talkin' U2 To Me?, which is really funny because I never really liked U2. But I had just finished a Parks & Rec binge and did some digging on Adam Scott. Found UTU2TM, and my addiction to Earwolf podcasts began.

Now, I kind of like U2. Weird.

I was recently told by a dude he loved u taking U2 to me despite not liking U2 either so I might give it a shot one day seeing as analyse phish kinda made me like phish

• Like 4

I was listening to a now defunct video game podcast called 2 Chimps On a Davenport (don't look it up, it is really terrible but I loved it at the time) and the host frequently pointed out how hilarious Comedy Death Ray was so I looked it up. I went and listened to the most recent episode and it happened to be the episode with Thomas Lennon and Patton Oswalt where Bret Gelman performed iBrain. I'd never laughed so much in my life. I played it for all my friends and listened to that episode probably 6 times before I even checked out the rest, and I've been a loyal listener to most of Earwolf's shows since.

Btw, if you haven't listened to U Talkin' U2 To Me yet you need to. Pound for pound, It's the funniest show on this whole network. They even made me love the band to the point that I'd call them my favorite band now.

• Like 4

iFanboy, a weekly podcast on comic books. I really liked the report between the three college-educated mensches. I think all the far-out science fiction stories they'd been reading for decades shaped them into very progressive open-minded dudes because they always seemed to highlight stories that shined a spotlight on women as heroes. And they put the show out like clockwork every Sunday. I really respected their commitment and hard work to the nascent podcast medium.

It was Comedy Death Ray Radio for me, and WTF. Then I got into The Best Show with Tom Scharpling and Superego and that was that. I realized I was just as entertained by the audio experience (if not more so) then the visual tedium of broadcast television. So I cut the mutha truckin cord and haven't looked back.

Podcasts are more of a slow burn with a bigger payoff if you're willing to invest the time. Once I got hooked on the spontaneous moments of brilliance and genuine laughter that podcasts *can provide, I realized why I wasn't laughing at my television anymore. Sitcoms and even talk shows try too hard to get the moment just right and often completely neuter it. While podcasts are roaming free...fully intact...swangin around.

• Like 1

I started like this.

My first form of audio entertainment was Opie and Anthony best of bits on Youtube.

I wanted to hear it without youtube being open so I downloaded an ap, then on the app there were a few other comedy podcasts along with the audio archive podcast of Opie and Anthony. Then I started listening to Doug Loves Movies because I had heard him on Opie and Anthony before, then I heard about wtf from Doug Loves Movies, then I heard about You Made it Weird from Wtf, and I'd known of Pete Homes from Dlm, then I finally broke into Comedy Bang Bang from hearing Scott Aukerman guest on Doug Loves Movies, After I started Comedy Bang Bang, it was really like a landslide of podcasts I love, so you could say my first experience in Podcasts is Opie and Anthony, but I feel like Comedy Bang Bang is what opened me up to viewing podcasts in a more loving light than I had before. I don't even turn on tv, podcasts are my #1 Source of entertainment. Sorry for the extremely long answer.

• Like 1

First podcast I ever listened to was Bryan Cranston on WTF with Marc Maron.

My voyeur into podcasts is a really complicated one. I had decided to watch @midnight one night a few months ago, having never seen it or even knowing the format of the show. It was the Meltdown episode with Jonah, Kumail and Emily, all of who were great. Since The Meltdown was on right after, I decided to give it a go. It was incredible as both Andy Daly and Cameron Esposito were performing, and it had the guest host segment with Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer (and I already had liked Broad City.) I looked up Andy + Cameron immediately and found The Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project and Put Your Hands Together. Later I saw Andy on Review and Cameron on the Nerdist stand-up cluster AND on With Special Guest Lauren Lapkus, and the rest is history. Within maybe 4 months my entire life has changed. So yeah, still kinda new at this, but the journey has been pretty fun so far.

• Like 1

Within maybe 4 months my entire life has changed. So yeah, still kinda new at this, but the journey has been pretty fun so far.

I love that you said that, cos I feel like discovering CBB has totally changed my life, and thought it was a bit sad to admit, aha, but at least there's two of us

• Like 1

I had listened to all of the Pod F. Tomkast, and was looking for more PFT, which is when I discovered Comedy Bang! Bang! And never looked back.

• Like 2

I had listened to all of the Pod F. Tomkast, and was looking for more PFT, which is when I discovered Comedy Bang! Bang! And never looked back.

Earpanther is my steadfast tastemaker.

He was my gateway I would say, with CBB and i4h opening up the floodgates, so uh..

e59d1b66c3aa6c9bc9e4613b3fde1414d00e6da18c099b3bf5d3d9f8eaa4d26d.jpg

• Like 2

Unfortunately it was the Adam Corolla show. (It was recommended it to me) I remember he had a few funny guests, but it mostly just felt angry and complainy. I found Comedy Death Ray shortly after and never went back. The first episode I heard was the Thanksgiving episode with Michael Cera and Harris Wittels.

Edit: Actually it was technically a black Friday episode

• Like 2

I was an infrequent listener of The Art of Wrestling, a podcast hosted by Colt Cabana. I also frequent a pro wrestling-themed message board. I didn't listen to the AoW episode that featured guest Hornswoggle (a little person with the wrestling gimmick of a leprechaun) but someone on the message board said that with 'Swoggle's love of bad movies, he'd be a good fit as a guest on How Did This Get Made. I looked up HDTGM, found out what it was about. I like bad movies, and I like Paul Scheer, so I gave it a try (I can't remember the first episode I listened to, but the newest ep at the time was Odd Life of Timothy Green). I wound up listening to every episode available, and became a big Jason Mantzoukas fan. So I ventured into other Earwolf territory to listen to more of his stuff. Which got me into Comedy Bang Bang, which eventually got me into a whole bunch of other stuff. So basically being a wrestling nerd led me into being a comedy nerd.

• Like 2

This is a great thread. I'm glad it got bumped.

Here's my life story (podcast-wise)

For me, about 4 years ago, I started a job where I was doing a lot of driving. I remember using an app like TuneIn to try and stream some radio shows I knew like NPR's Car Talk. (Great show) Somehow while browsing the app, I came across the comedy/podcast section. One of the first shows I latched onto was Talkin' Toons w/ Rob Paulsen. He's a great cartoon voice actor who would interview other great cartoon voice actors like Billy West and John DiMaggio. From there I must have stumbled upon CBB. This would have been the same time the CBB tv show was just beginning, which may have contributed to my noticing this show.

Once in the CBBooniverse, I quickly became amazed at the talent of many of the regular comedians whom I had little or no previous knowledge of. This led to binge sessions of entire back catalogues of specific guest appearances of Adomian, PFT, and Andy Daly.

I began listening to many Earwolf shows but it was while listening to the hilarious ADPPP show my ear caught the name and wonderful talents of Matt Gourley which led me Superego.

What would follow would be me getting caught up on pod-classics like The Pod F Tompkast and The Thrilling Adventure Hour, and also discovering new shows like The worst Idea of All Time, Harmontown and Star Wars Minute. My most recent additions include Doughboys, MBMBaM and Hello From the Magic Tavern. All of these shows I have mentioned come highly recommended.

I am now most surely, a podcast addict. I can stop whenever I want, but why stop when it just feels so good.

(PS. in case I died while typing this manifesto please tell my neglected family, I'm sorry and I love them.)

• Like 2

I stumbled onto Never Not Funny pretty early on, while looking for Jimmy Pardo stand-up online. His old CC half hour was one of my favorites. I listened to some of the free stuff on occasion. Then I got into WTF for a while, and then when NNF joined Earwolf, I got into CBB. I recognized Aukerman's name because he was a frequent guest on NNF. From there, it was pretty much off to the races. Podcasts became a daily thing. Jumped on with the Sklars, Who Charted, Professor Blastoff and so on...

• Like 2

Hey chaps,

I keep checking these forums and getting disappointed about the limited activity (I'm a human who likes shit to happen) so I fancy getting a dialogue going. Also I'm new here and I'm nosey so wanna get to know y'all.

What was the podcast which got you into earwolf? How did you discover this wonderous place?

I'm super new to the earwolf network, in jan this year I posted something about Jean-ralphio on Facebook and a buddy linked me to the Solo Bolo ep of CBB and I spent the first half an hour like what. Is. This. But it grew on me, and then I listened to all benny schwah eps, then all eps, then I realised there was a whole world of podcasts and the rest is very very recent history.

Wow I had a pretty similar experience. I loved Jean-Ralphio and wound up searching for any Ben Schwartz related videos i could find on youtube. I quickly found one of the I4H video podcasts that Ben was on and then wound up listening to every Ben Schwartz earwolf episode I could find. Ended up a loyal listener to CBB, and a part-time listener to plenty of other earwolf programs. Oh and Spontaneation. I never miss an episode of Spontaneanation.

• Like 2

CBB

A good while back I somehow heard Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost were on an episode and I figured I'd check it out. Of course I was thinking it was a basic interview type thing so after the break when they started to do characters I didn't understand what in the heck I was listening too.

So I was a bit thrown after that but when I went farther into the archives I listened to the Jon Hamm and Nick Kroll episode where they play brothers and was sold.

• Like 2

Honestly? Welcome to Night Vale. Everything about it was up my alley: it was surreal, strange, the music was phenomenal, it balanced horror and comedy and high concept genre with panache...

I wasn't much of a podcast listener until that show. Then, at one point, they recommended a show called The Thrilling Adventure Hour, so I gave that a listen to... that in of itself led to the podcasts of multiple comedians I love, and in of that that led me to Harmontown, than to Serial, than to The Canon...

HDTGM Episode 1. I had known Paul from his Human Giant days, but at that point the League was at its peak, so a Podcast that featured Paul, Jason, and Nick Kroll (as a guest) was enticing.

From there I wanted to hear more Zouks and I stumbled across the Cowboy Laureate of the West episode with him and Andy Daly, and from there went forwards and backwards in the CBB catalog.

This reminds me that as I added more and more podcast I don't know that I listened to every single early CBB episode. To Howl, I guess!

Initially I discovered(mid 2012) podcasts through Comedy Bang Bang, i knew Scott from Mr. Show and I enjoy the improv games they play.

The next podcast i latched on to was How did this get Made? So, So, good.

Then I went through many of the other Earwolf Shows, U talking U2 To Me is a solid C+

Recently I'm kinda obsessed with WTF with Marc Maron.

I enjoy getting Doug with High also, but he doesn't get the best guests these days....

• Like 1