🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

HOWL Premium, HOWL Originals, HOWL.FM

I signed up to premium from my ipad (with the app) but for some reason premium features are not showing up on the howl.fm website, its still prompting me to start a trial.

• Like 1

I can't stress this enough, I have signed up through the ios app, I have made my first payment I should be able to get the premium experience on the howl.fm website. It is still prompting me to start a trial, my favourites have not synced over and I can't access any premium content on it.

• Like 1

Are subscriptions on the iOS app handled in-app? Just curious because I know Apple takes a 30% cut of those subscriptions and if that's the case it might be worth pointing people to subscribe via the website whenever possible.

I finished episode 5 of hardcore game of thrones and am curious when I can expect more. Also, if the howl.fm site isn't going to have their own boards, are there going to be boards here, where I can find answers to questions like this one?

• Like 2

Soooo I signed up for a trial, and Im not finding the supposed ad-free "remastered" episodes. Are they not loaded yet, or is that a glitch, or...? (Specifically I was trying to play HDTGM)

Ad-free content with a well functioning player I would totally pay for, but so far Howl seems like a messsy messsssy launch. :-(

Soooo I signed up for a trial, and Im not finding the supposed ad-free "remastered" episodes. Are they not loaded yet, or is that a glitch, or...? (Specifically I was trying to play HDTGM)

Ad-free content with a well functioning player I would totally pay for, but so far Howl seems like a messsy messsssy launch. :-(

This was explained in the 'Questions for Scott' mega thread, but basically Adam (our CEO) decided it was only fair to leave the archives alone until the Android app is ready in a few weeks.

I finished episode 5 of hardcore game of thrones and am curious when I can expect more. Also, if the howl.fm site isn't going to have their own boards, are there going to be boards here, where I can find answers to questions like this one?

I have that same question about when to expect more episodes. I signed on to check out a couple of the exclusives that I would be interested in hearing only to see that there are a minimal amount of them. Superego Forgotten Classics is my best example, where we have two episodes and two behind the episodes, uploaded a month ago and no new episodes since then and no information on the site about whether or not there will be more. I know these are labeled as 'mini-series' but there had better be more than two episodes of Forgotten Classics which is a great idea and was my biggest draw into checking out Howl. I'm not thrilled at the idea of paying for a subscription and then just hoping that it pans out...

• Like 1

i understand wanting to keep that option going and it is very good but shouldn't people who already took the plunge be getting their ad-free versions of the shows, if only new episodes for now? i get it if earwolf doesnt want to mess with a seperate set of archives but it would be nice to be able to hear new episodes ad-free in the app or on the website with my premium account

• Like 1

i understand wanting to keep that option going and it is very good but shouldn't people who already took the plunge be getting their ad-free versions of the shows, if only new episodes for now? i get it if earwolf doesnt want to mess with a seperate set of archives but it would be nice to be able to hear new episodes ad-free in the app or on the website with my premium account

New episodes will never be ad-free, only the old ones. Episodes that are 6 months old or newer are free for everyone, Howl premium membership or not, and will not be behind the paywall so their ads must remain.

that is extremely disappointing, what a strange system

• Like 2

I appreciate the archives being left open for now, but I didn't realize it would be done at the expense of Howl Premium users not getting their ad-free episodes (maybe I'm mis-reading that - and that's entirely possible given that ad-free episodes would have presumably been uploaded as of the launch, i.e. before the archive decision was made - but that's the impression I'm getting here). If true, this seems like a horrible idea; at the very least, that particular aspect of Premium shouldn't currently be touted in the ads, especially since the Android app is going to necessitate new ads anyway.

Edit - Also, Howl Premium users not getting ad-free new eps was probably already stated (or rather, the opposite was not stated), but I hadn't realized it and am also pretty surprised/disappointed. At that point, it feels like the Howl-exclusive shows are the only benefit to anyone who either 1) doesn't care about the archives, or 2) wants to take the time now to download what they want from the archives.

• Like 2

New episodes will never be ad-free, only the old ones. Episodes that are 6 months old or newer are free for everyone, Howl premium membership or not, and will not be behind the paywall so their ads must remain.

There wouldn't be two edits, one for each service tier? And the ad free content is just old content Ive already heard?

That really makes that feature moot, and it was the feature I was interested in.

This may have been explained already, but it does not make sense, and is not in line with how subscriptions services typically work.

• Like 1

Still waiting on an answer to this. Thanks.

Hey Jotchua,

I only know for sure that there is one more episode of Hardcore Game of Thrones, but I have no idea if it will continue after that.

A forum for Howl is in the works yes, but for now feel free to start threads about Howl shows here. (I'd suggest in General Podcasting maybe?)

I am very confused now.

• Like 1

What should have been said plainly is that it's too costly to keep all the years and years of episodes free to listen to, but rather than delete them all you can pay a minimal monthly fee to still have access to them which would ideally cover the server costs and hopefully net a little profit. As a bonus, anything in those archives is ad free and you get access to a few one off exclusives on top of that.

Don't even bring words like premium into it because that's part of what's confusing people about what the service they're being asked to pay for is. I know for me, and apparently I'm not the only one, when I saw that this was a subscription service I thought it meant that there would be ad free versions of new shows and that Howl Originals were being actively produced. I was mistaken on both counts and so will not continue my enrollment. I don't regret having paid a measly $5 already, I just won't continue to do so as there is no point for me personally.

NEW HOWL SHOW PREMIERES TODAY!

YOU KNOW ME WITH EUGENE CORDERO - “You Know Me” features your favorite stars and the people who know them best: their friends and family. In each episode, guests fill out a surprise questionnaire about one another, and host Eugene Cordero finds out whether their answers match or not – and why. Hilarious, surprising, and honest, “You Know Me” asks beloved entertainers: Who are you, really?

Check check check it out: http://howl.fm/audio/playlists/4465/you-know-me

Howl.fm does not work on any android browser, I've tried all the browsers on 3 different android phones. It is unbelievably bad, I don't mean it's poorly designed, I mean it literally does not function. I've never seen anything like it.

And obviously there's no android app. Because, despite more people using android, iphone users are seen as superior and more affluent.

I've been paying for howl for a few weeks now and it is impossible for me to access it on my Samsung S5. No doubt when the half baked app finally comes out it will be full of flaws too, like the old Earwolf app that would constantly pause spontaneously and then just stopped working.

I really wish shows would stop advertising HOWL.FM while it's not fully functioning. HDTGM was promoting their "secret" shows available on HOWL, but the archives are not working - it's irritating. Plus it's going to feel real uncomfortable to pay $5 a month without the ad-free, remastered archives available, as was advertised.

• Like 1

I get the feeling Howl.fm won't get new episodes of the exclusive shows, or the ad-free archives until the majority of the free month subscriptions are burned off.

• Like 2