🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 116.5 - Minisode 116.5

From what I've seen of the show so far (I'm only four episodes in), am I wrong in thinking that "Mr. Robot" COULD be a sequel to "Pump Up The Volume"?

Good gravy, I just tried watching Theodore Rex but I couldn't make it all the way through even though I tried playing it at double speed to get through it. It's so stupid, so boring, so lacking in anything to keep your interest, it's just shite and not even fun. Oh well I'll listen to the episode and see if anyone can make something good out of something so indescribably bad, good luck with this one.

• Like 4

Good gravy, I just tried watching Theodore Rex but I couldn't make it all the way through even though I tried playing it at double speed to get through it. It's so stupid, so boring, so lacking in anything to keep your interest, it's just shite and not even fun. Oh well I'll listen to the episode and see if anyone can make something good out of something so indescribably bad, good luck with this one.

Paul even said it was a toss-up on whether or not we should watch this movie. I'll probably at least give it a try, but I have a tendency to get distracted with the kind of boring ones. For Runaway, I ended up having to rewatch about the last half of it because I ended up dicking around on the internet instead of watching robot spiders.

• Like 2

I am five minutes into this movie and I already hate this fucking dinosaur.

• Like 4

I vaguely remember seeing some of this as a kid and even then realizing that it was stupid, and this was at a point when I loved all things dinosaur. It seemed it was a lame attempt at making a cop version of the show Dinosaurs, and failed on both parts. As for the 33 million dollar price tag, that's not too bad when you consider a movie like Food Fight had a 45 million dollar budget and was released direct to DVD in the majority of regions, except for the UK where it had an incredibly limited release.

"Dinosaurs" ran from 1991 to 1994, "Rex" came out in 1995.

Seems pretty obvious this was an attempt to reuse old props in a new way.

What a waste.

I'm halfway through the movie and I want to hurt the director.

Sad thing was I really liked the Dinosaurs tv series, but not this waste of film.

If I'm reading this right, and I'm not sure that I am, episodes of HDTGM that are more than 6-months-old are only accessible through a subscription to Howl.

If I'm reading this right, and I'm not sure that I am, episodes of HDTGM that are more than 6-months-old are only accessible through a subscription to Howl.

That is correct. Scott is fielding questions about it here. They announced it today on CBB. The funny thing is, I'm not a habitual CBB listener, I mainly just listen when I enjoy the guests, so it threw me for a bit of a loop. I don't have a problem with it necessarily, but I still think they should charge for new content and leave the old stuff free, but that's just me...For the amount of laughs EW has provided, I think 4.99 per month is more than fair.

• Like 3

The great thing about HOWL is it's incredibly democratic. For the specials and mini-series, we pay those artists in advance to do the shows. But for the archive, we split up the subscription money based on the amount of listens they get. (emphasis mine) Very simple!

This will be a great boon to some shows. So if you like Who Charted, and want to support them - listen in HOWL! New eps AND old. Same with Hollywood Handbook - listen to every new episode in HOWL, and they can finally start getting some ducats in those pockets.

I will say that part makes me happy. I'm gonna pay my $5 and just leave the old eps of HDTGM playing for hours. YOU'RE WELCOME, PAUL.

• Like 3

Good thing I've kept all the episodes on my iPod, outside of the minute few I wasn't a fan of to begin with. Hell even still have the now disappeared Smurfs and Green Lantern episodes.

• Like 1

I would pay so much for a Rumble in the Bronx sweatshirt from that Dino-sized 4 pack

• Like 3

I love the show and hate to do this but I must disagree with Paul in his answer to the Q&A. Pixar does shamelessly rip off movies but unlike reboots gives no credit to the source material. You can read more about it in the following Cracked article. The article was written before Inside Out which seems to be based on the 1991 Fox comedy Herman's Head. http://www.cracked.com/article_19852_5-famous-movies-that-shamelessly-ripped-off-obscure-ones.html

• Like 1

I ask my fellow #SharknadoNo-ers is Theodore Rex more or less watchable than Sharknado 3?

• Like 2

I must have been like 12 and obsessed with dinosaurs when this movie first came out, but yet for some reason avoided this movie. Now 20 years later I'm going to gladly watch it because a podcast told me to. What's wrong with my life....

• Like 4

I have to say, I found the trailer for video stores truly, oddly fascinating-I'd never heard anything like that!

And well, dammit...it made me miss video stores. I grew up in a small-ish town, and we always had the local video store. Then Blockbuster came and it was a HUGE DEAL. I'd never seen somewhere so cool! I actually rented from Blockbuster as lately as a couple years ago, before they all went under.

Kids these days will never know the joy of making a trip to the video store! Here's a relevant video to end my miniature rant:

• Like 5

Confused as to why the "mystery meat counter" boy seems to alternately want to play match-maker between his father and robo-whoopi and then alternately tell her "don't worry my dad's not here" during the mighty re-dux's face paint roller hockey scene? As if he fears his fathers presence? And when we finally see the dad at Teddy's big promotion ceremony he appears to be in some drug induced, half lidded, stoney faced stupor?

does the dystopian setting implied by the mystery meat counter additionally suggest that this film might exist as a sort of prequel to the Super Mario universe? Also, the only non-exotic animals besides engineered dinosaurs appear to be dogs...is mystery meat dog meat? Finally, the suggestion that raccoons are extinct in this timeline is befuddling. The Blade Runner via Jim Carrey's The Mask hellscape in which this film takes place seems like an ideal environment in which the notoriously adaptable Raccoon would thrive.

I ask my fellow #SharknadoNo-ers is Theodore Rex more or less watchable than Sharknado 3?

I was firmly on the #SharkNAYdo bandwagon and I gotta say Theodore Rex is one of the most unwatchable movies I've ever seen. More specifically it's horrible to listen to. Teddy Rex is speaking in this horrible sighing/mumbling bullshit that made me unreasonably angry.

Although i did like watching Whoopi in this because it's very easy to see how much she hated being there.

• Like 4

I was firmly on the #SharkNAYdo bandwagon and I gotta say Theodore Rex is one of the most unwatchable movies I've ever seen. More specifically it's horrible to listen to. Teddy Rex is speaking in this horrible sighing/mumbling bullshit that made me unreasonably angry.

Although i did like watching Whoopi in this because it's very easy to see how much she hated being there.

I agree with all of this.

Furthermore, I feel your anger at his mumbling was entirely reasonable. My God was that annoying! You'd struggle to hear what the stupid dinosaur was saying (because we're all good movie watchers and just want to have an idea what the main character is saying) only to catch a wayward phrase and think, "Well, that was dumb...why was I trying so hard?" This cycle would then repeat, over and over again....

The bad news is that it's on YouTube so there are no subtitles to alleviate this annoyance. On the other hand...Thank Christ this is on YouTube!

• Like 3

I just started watching this, and have had to restart it 3 times within the first minute when realising that I didn't understand the open narration. If it happens again, I'm going in without trying.

edit: oh boyyyyyy

l0xxpbf.png

• Like 4

Much like my fellow Cameron, I too agree with all this. I can't tell you how much I hated the voice acting in this. Other than just a lot of noise and mumbling his voice is way too soft and just felt out of place. Like it was the voice of a bumbling sidekick and not the lead... dinosaur clone? I understand that they wanted a sweetness and nativity to juxtapose the size and strength of a T-Rex, but it does not make for a leading... clone!

Not only is his voice just wrong and out of place, but all the voice over is. The voices of the dinosaurs and headquarters are all just out of place and so affected. I guess I have to give Carol Kane some credit but that also was just... ugh.. this movie... Also what was with Bud Cort's character? Save for the regular episode I guess. I assume they'll have a lot to say.

• Like 4

So hear me out here, but I watched the first 5-6 minutes last night and....parts of it were kind of cool! Namely:

-The look of the opening. It was actually kinda creepy and interesting

-This movie is so colorful! Maybe it's over saturation of all those gray, bleak "gritty" movies lately but I felt like it really popped.

-The T Rex Puppet/costume is super impressive.

But yeah, that's all I've got so far...the rest is just puzzling...

• Like 5

So hear me out here, but I watched the first 5-6 minutes last night and....parts of it were kind of cool! Namely:

-The look of the opening. It was actually kinda creepy and interesting

-This movie is so colorful! Maybe it's over saturation of all those gray, bleak "gritty" movies lately but I felt like it really popped.

-The T Rex Puppet/costume is super impressive.

But yeah, that's all I've got so far...the rest is just puzzling...

Really? Because I think they explained it very clearly;

Once upon a time in the future ...

• At midnight tomorrow, billionaire Elizar Kane will launch his New Eden missile to bring on another Ice Age.
  • After mankind is extinct, Kane will reanimate the pairs of all earth's animals he keeps frozen in his ark and create his vision of paradise.
  • One hour ago, two workers escaped from the New Eden compound and are racing to tell the police about Kane's master plan

The thing that makes this so helpful and expositionary, for me, is how the grammatical frame of reference changes multiple times from past to future to past tense. This did not at all come across like the ramblings of a hobo becoming unstuck in time. I also feel that adding literal bullet points to an opening crawl is very useful, because that's how I like to imagine opening narrations; as a shopping list.

• Like 4

Really? Because I think they explained it very clearly;

The thing that makes this so helpful and expositionary, for me, is how the grammatical frame of reference changes multiple times from past to future to past tense. This did not at all come across like the ramblings of a hobo becoming unstuck in time. I also feel that adding literal bullet points to an opening crawl is very useful, because that's how I like to imagine opening narrations; as a shopping list.

My take on that was totally "Well, we can't afford to SHOW this, so just pack in a bunch of expository dialogue with scrolling text."

• Like 1

Is everyone watching this on YouTube? Better yet, is anyone NOT watching it on YouTube? I wonder if the sound issue is just because the sound is shitty or if it's because the upload on YT is shitty.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this