🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 116.5 - Minisode 116.5

Hm, I can't find @hdtgm tweet now, but it says for the 9/26 live show they are doing Furious 7 then Maximum Overdrive. Maximum Overdrive sounds promising. I find car movies interminable but horror car movies are a whole different thing.

ETA: MO is avail on Youtube.

[media='']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7TPG5V1Egs[/media]

• Like 1

I couldn't watch more than 5 mins yesterday, but I'm forcing the rest on myself today.

20 mins in and I am begging for this fucking dinosaur to get Reek'ed by Ramsay Snow.

• Like 1

Is everyone watching this on YouTube? Better yet, is anyone NOT watching it on YouTube? I wonder if the sound issue is just because the sound is shitty or if it's because the upload on YT is shitty.

I am sad to say I did not watch it on YouTube, and I can tell you that it is just shitty sound in a shitty movie.

• Like 3

The asshole who made this fucking movie (Jonathan R. Betuel) is the same guy who wrote and owns the rights to The Last Starfighter. Everyone in Hollywood, for one reason or another, wants to do a remake of The Last Starfighter, but Betuel refuses to let anyone make it. Seth Rogen and Stephen Spielberg have both tried to get the rights to remake it, and Betuel has denied them both.

Seth Rogen

✔@Sethrogen

@slashfilm @garywhitta @mbotti @mscriptshadow Spielberg himself told me he couldn't get the rights after I told him how long I'd tried.

This fucking asshole, after submitting the world to THIS movie, he owes it to everyone to let Spielberg and Rogen remake his crappy movie. Leave it to the creator of Theodore Rex to have any sort of shred or artistic integrity.

• Like 2

I am sad to say I did not watch it on YouTube, and I can tell you that it is just shitty sound in a shitty movie.

Thanks for letting me know. That was going to be the determining factor in whether or not I spent money to watch it. Sounds like YT is the way to go.

Or I could just not watch it and instead just watch Wien's descent into madness via this thread.

• Like 1

I have to say, I found the trailer for video stores truly, oddly fascinating-I'd never heard anything like that!

And well, dammit...it made me miss video stores. I grew up in a small-ish town, and we always had the local video store. Then Blockbuster came and it was a HUGE DEAL. I'd never seen somewhere so cool! I actually rented from Blockbuster as lately as a couple years ago, before they all went under.

Kids these days will never know the joy of making a trip to the video store! Here's a relevant video to end my miniature rant:

I wish there were still video stores. Seems like online subscriptions have destroyed them. I think a video store could still work... if it was in a liquor store.

The asshole who made this fucking movie (Jonathan R. Betuel) is the same guy who wrote and owns the rights to The Last Starfighter. Everyone in Hollywood, for one reason or another, wants to do a remake of The Last Starfighter, but Betuel refuses to let anyone make it. Seth Rogen and Stephen Spielberg have both tried to get the rights to remake it, and Betuel has denied them both.

This fucking asshole, after submitting the world to THIS movie, he owes it to everyone to let Spielberg and Rogen remake his crappy movie. Leave it to the creator of Theodore Rex to have any sort of shred or artistic integrity. [/font][/color]

I don't care what anyone says, The Last Starfighter is a damn good movie. A trailer park kid plays an arcade game and ends up saving the world.

Perhaps, I'm not high on Spielberg and Rogen any more. Spielberg has done a lot of good things but his recent portfolio includes works that have way too much in common with the contents of a plastic bag full of dog feces.

I like Seth Rogen in moderation though, just don't know that I would like his vision for The Last Starfighter.

• Like 1

I wish there were still video stores. Seems like online subscriptions have destroyed them. I think a video store could still work... if it was in a liquor store.

There's actually a great local video store here in Denver still, but I no longer live in the city and it's the only one I know of :(

• Like 1

There's actually a great local video store here in Denver still, but I no longer live in the city and it's the only one I know of :(

We have a couple of good ones here in Austin, but I'm too lazy to leave the house to go to them.

Omg they shot that god damn dinosaur yessss and Whoopi refuses to give him a gun, she wants him dead too.

Oh god, they're clapping at the end of this like Birdemic. This was by far the worst movie I've ever seen in the HDTGM lot.

• Like 1

As luck would have it, I'll be in Denver in April!!!! I'm a going to the video store.

Just finished Theodore Rex. My guess is it will not be hated by our intrepid podcasters, and... June may actually like it.

For 20 years this film has done nothing but beg for WTF podcasting commentary, and I can't wait to hear it. But at the end of the day, its a kid-centric film with explosions made in the mid 90s, during a puppetry, tech, practical effects boom... that died immediately, much like BetaMax, when CGI proved itself.

If you're an adult trying to judge this as a piece of relevant film art, you shouldn't. It's going to be a funny ass episode though, for sure.

Just finished Theodore Rex. My guess is it will not be hated by our intrepid podcasters, and... June may actually like it.

For 20 years this film has done nothing but beg for WTF podcasting commentary, and I can't wait to hear it. But at the end of the day, its a kid-centric film with explosions made in the mid 90s, during a puppetry, tech, practical effects boom... that died immediately, much like BetaMax, when CGI proved itself.

If you're an adult trying to judge this as a piece of relevant film art, you shouldn't.

I'm not too sure about that. I have no idea what their take on it is going to be--aside from the fact that it will be much more entertaining than actually watching the movie--but considering that this movie is free on YouTube, Paul didn't exactly seem too enthused about recommending it. Also, historically, they haven't just "given a pass" to children's movies. To paraphrase Paul from an old episode, "It's a children's movie....but it's a shitty children's movie." As for June...she's the one who recommended The Odd Life of Timothy Green and it was Jason who liked it, so I wouldn't count on her to like Theodore Rex just because she's...nicer, I guess?

Kids are more savvy than they often get credit for. I look at a company like Pixar that--although their product can be classified as "kid-centric"--still manages to make legitimately good films. Even the shows my son watches these days seem to make a point of being entertaining in their own right, and quite honestly, blow the water out of what I used to watch when I was his age. Shit, I'm a grown ass man and I can seriously get down with some Octonauts action, and who doesn't love the Bubble Guppies?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQt7oMgEfqE

In my opinion, just because a movie is "kid-centric," doesn't mean it should be given a pass--there are good children's movies and bad children's movies. And while I agree that I don't think Theodore Rex should be held up to something like Vertigo or Sunset Boulevard, I see no harm in holding it up to say, Toy Story 3 or The Incredibles.

• Like 2

If you're an adult trying to judge this as a piece of relevant film art, you shouldn't. It's going to be a funny ass episode though, for sure.

This movie will be hated by all, and rightfully so. I can't think of a single HDTGM movie that was harder and more annoying to watch than this. Maybe Birdemic. Its no wonder Whoopi got hit with a lawsuit trying to get out of this movie and ended up beefing up her contract by 2 million.

• Like 6

I'm a god, so I was able to watch the film in one sitting. It wasn't easy but everyone should watch the last 15 minutes. The countdown from 100, 1 minute and 40 seconds, takes at least 10 minutes in actual time and Teddy and Whoopi don't seem to have any sense of urgency.

I'm not going to get that hour and a half back... shit.

• Like 3

This movie makes me feel kind of sad. Whoopi Goldberg's performance is literally forced. I really want to like the setting, but nothing about it works. This seems like a movie that should be fun to watch in its absurdity, but the pacing of the movie is such that I can't really stop and enjoy anything. Teddy's ADR is terrible. Actors don't leave space for his lines, and even if they did none of his lines actually contain relevant information. Even the villain's monologue is ADRed over.

EDIT: I've watched Fantastic Four (1994), Fantastic Four (2005), Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, and this in the past week, and this was the most unwatchable. Also, tied with Fantastic Four (2005) as the most joyless.

Random Thoughts:

• Whoopi's character comes off annoyed throughout this whole film. Given the circumstances it really doesn't seem fair for her to be nominated for a Razzie.
  • Bud Cort's performance is Eric Cartman like. I half expected him to say "Screw you guys I'm going home"
  • The plot kind of reminds me of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, but with a much much less sexy Jessica Rabbit.
  • The Voice of Teddy Rex also did Superman in the pretty good Justice League cartoon. I thought he sounded familiar.
  • I wonder if recutting this film with clips of Earl from Dinosaurs in place of Teddy would make this movie better. It certainly couldn't make it worse.
  • The Biblical references are really weird. Combined with the dinosaurs living side by side with people I would expect Kirk Cameron or Kent Hovind to approve of this movie.
  • Every time Richard Roundtree appeared, all I could think was "poor Shaft."

• Like 3

Also, can we now consider Theodore Rex, Super Mario Bros and Jupiter Ascending "The Anthropomorphic Dinosaur Trilogy"

I'm hoping Whoopi gets involved with pasta at some point in the hope this links up with Judge Dredd and Runaway as the Spaghetti Robot Trilogy

• Like 4

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone would be up for fucking with Paul. Unfortunately, I can't PM all of you so it can't come as more of a surprise, but thems the breaks I guess... Anyway, my initial thought was that we should all write our C&O's for Theodore Rex in Shakespearean sonnet structure just to mess with him when he reads them out on the mini-ep, but I figured that might prove too daunting. What I settled on was just all of us changing our display names to include the most annoying dinosaur name we can come up with. Preferably one he'll have trouble with when he reads it aloud.

Of course we won't be able to get everyone to participate as a lot of people don't post on here unless it is for the episode proper, but I still think it would be fun to hear him struggle through them. So for the next week, I'll be "Cameron H. Pachycephalosaurus." So, how about it? Anyone else want to be a dinosaur with me?

b8f7adc618cd21f1a8bc92de6581e872.gif

• Like 7

Done, although do I need more latin?

How about in keeping with the current theme of your name FisterSaurass, or is that too graphic?

• Like 1

I don't think mine's that hard to pronounce, but I went for one that worked with my username.

• Like 2

Done, although do I need more latin?

What do you feel? After all, dinosaurs feel for each other...

But I'm digging the names so far. As far as I'm concerned...

giphy.gif

If anyone else is up for it, here are a couple good ones:

Quetzalcoatlus

Parasaurolophus

Ichthyosaurus

Procompsognathus

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this